Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my install I needed an additional consumer unit, so for me it made sense to get one with PEN fault protection.
I never really enjoyed electricity and magnetism and capacitance and...and.. The only webers I got wound up with were the carburettors which are now very much in my rear view. But now, here it comes again: elastic trickery to haunt my fevered dreams when I would prefer my REM sleep to be all about looking for a Supercharger on the Amalfi Coast.

So, please indulge me miles3; you needed an additional consumer unit. Was this because you had no spare slot for the charger cable?
Why did installing an additional consumer unit mitigate in favour of a charger with builtin PEN fault protection?

My consumer unit is 18 years old. Should I take the opportunity of combining the charger install hassle with having a new consumer unit.
I am (in my ignorance) leaning towards@jamesp26's view; my enthusiasm for a Tesla charger is being dissipated by the potential hassle that the PEN issue presents.

( And I thought that buying the car was the only was the real challenge).

P.S. Chatted to a lovely girl at the Guildford SC today. Apparently, once we are given a VIN, we can track the progress of the ship from Shanghai - what fun!

Oh! Did say? Y Long Range. Red with black and white. Standard wheels. If you are thinking really!?! That's what my co-pilot said- "white seats! Really?"

Was this because you had no spare slot for the charger cable?
Yes. And it was more convenient to run the 30m of cable to the wall connector from the meter box, splitting the 100A tails.
Why did installing an additional consumer unit mitigate in favour of a charger with builtin PEN fault protection?
I would have had to install a consumer unit with RCB for a charger that has built in PEN fault protection, so the extra cost of the PEN fault consumer unit, including waterproof enclosure, wasn’t hugely significant.

Yes. And it was more convenient to run the 30m of cable to the wall connector from the meter box, splitting the 100A tails.

I would have had to install a consumer unit with RCB for a charger that has built in PEN fault protection, so the extra cost of the PEN fault consumer unit, including waterproof enclosure, wasn’t hugely significant.
Thank you very much miles3. So, the charger has PEN fault protection built in, but you also have a consumer unit with PEN fault protection!?
I really appreciate your efforts to educate/inform me but I am still waiting for the lightbulb moment. I will have to run this stuff past the electrician, when I find one.

I am reminded of when, as a young man, living in Begium and in Germany, I would try to impress with my language skills by asking quite complex questions. I soon learned that the real skill was actually in being able to understanding the answers.:rolleyes:

No, the Tesla wall connector does not but if you need a separate circuit & consumer unit then one with PEN protection is not a big deal.
Right! So, if I have a spare slot obviating the need for a new consumer unit, then a separate"box" for PEN fault protection is required on the cable run between the consumer unit and the wall charger. As you are clearly a patient person, could you clarify why/how you would be connecting a 100amp cable to the meter? Would that involve a cable from the additional new consumer unit to the meter and then from the meter to the wall charger?
Suplimentary: Is it possible that my existing consumer unit has PEN fault protection and if so, how can I tell?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Right! So, if I have a spare slot obviating the need for a new consumer unit, then a separate"box" for PEN fault protection is required on the cable run between the consumer unit and the wall charger.
Yes but it will need more than one free slot.
why/how you would be connecting a 100amp cable to the meter?
1. Because you’re tapping into the full 100A feed rather than adding more load to what might be an already highly loaded consumer unit (oven, shower…hot tub?). 2. The regs require 100A cable to the second consumer unit because the supply/main fuse can supply it.

Would that involve a cable from the additional new consumer unit to the meter and then from the meter to the wall charger?
Yes
71E90B61-38BB-43E2-8A12-66973CA52674.jpeg

Suplimentary: Is it possible that my existing consumer unit has PEN fault protection and if so, how can I tell?
Unlikely. But you will need an electrician to recommend and commission whichever route you choose.

Yes but it will need more than one free slot.

1. Because you’re tapping into the full 100A feed rather than adding more load to what might be an already highly loaded consumer unit (oven, shower…hot tub?). 2. The regs require 100A cable to the second consumer unit because the supply/main fuse can supply it.

Yes

View attachment 788441

Unlikely. But you will need an electrician to recommend and commission whichever route you choose.
Thank you again. Your setup is so different to the understairs meter and consumer unit in my 1916 terraced house. As you say, I need an electrician.

Last edited:
Reactions: milesr3
Hi all.

I've just placed an order for a MY and now wondering what the best options are for charging at home?

I have single phase power and also have 2.7kW of solar on the roof which I'd like to make use of, but am also on Octopus Go so get cheap (5p per kWh, will go up to at least 7.5p from September) power for 4 hours overnight.

It looks as if a Zappi might be the best 'standard' charger that will work nicely with my solar(?) but I've also looked at the EmonEVSE/OpenEVSE system which can be controlled via an API although this is quite a 'homebrew' unit.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to charge my car at a rate during the day which uses up the free energy (adjustable based on solar output) and top up overnight when I need to with Octopus Go rates.

Any thoughts on alternatives to those two chargers, and any recommendations for installers in the York region?

Thank you again. Your setup is so different to the understairs meter and consumer unit in my 1916 terraced house. As you say, I need an electrician.
So, I have given the job to Mr Charger. Nice people, they based my needs and their price on a set of photos which I sent them. They have been very helpful in dealing with the DNO who responded quite quickly (perhaps they have a good relationship with MrCharger). The DNO are coming to sort an upgrade next Friday. So far so good... My Tesla Wall Point may emerge from its box before too long.

I can't guarantee the same for the car but I sincerely thank those people who are living in a car factory so that we in the Waiting Room can get our cars as soon as possible.

Anyone have any recommendations for an installer in the Dorset area?
Have a look on checkatrade as im sure ive seen local ones with good reviews on there and wish I had gone with any of them even without the grant back then. Ordered one from octopus EV at beginning of December, fully paid a couple of months ago and still have nothing!

Thanks! Going to use Smart Home Charge.
Used them for our first charger but now the grants have dried up, there are most probably better deals to be had without these middle men sort of companies.

Reactions: T$LA
My recommendations for EV installation is to contact local electricians and get some quotes. I ended up paying about £300 less for installation than what I was quoted by the guys listed on Tesla’s website.

Most electricians are experienced in fitting EV chargers now

Reactions: Js1977
Although I can't necessarily recommend the installer, I can recommend Hypervolt. The customer service and support is amazing.

We had problems as we live in an old Victorian terrace and although sent all the info and photos, we found our earth wasn't up to scratch so and installation day turned into 2. Definitely check your earth set-up.

After it was installed, it didn't work as the plug should have been a Tesla specific one due to a small update on the M3 latch that should have been sorted at order.

When I got speaking directly to Hypervolt they were great. Didn't have to wait for customer services. They sent round their most senior technician to sort the plug and also reviewed the installation work, which hadn't been up to scratch.

Has worked flawlessly since and looks good too (obviously subjective).

Although I can't necessarily recommend the installer, I can recommend Hypervolt. The customer service and support is amazing.
Something to be aware of if you book the installation through Hypervolt's website, at least this was the case a couple of months ago...

Hypervolt's website let you book the installation, select your installer from a list of ones in your area (with different prices), and even offer the installer's availability and select an installation date and time down to a four-hour slot. It's only when you actually book it that they then get in touch to tell you your local installer is someone completely different (not on the offered list) with a different price.

So you go from having booked a specific time-slot for a specific price, to finding out neither of them are valid. My installation ended up being with a different installer, a few weeks later and cost more than I actually booked with them. I tried to suggest to them that this was misleading, particular as this was February/March and it could be the difference between someone getting the grant or not if installation was put back beyond the end of March. It all worked out OK for me, hope no-one got caught by this.

Something to be aware of if you book the installation through Hypervolt's website, at least this was the case a couple of months ago...

Hypervolt's website let you book the installation, select your installer from a list of ones in your area (with different prices), and even offer the installer's availability and select an installation date and time down to a four-hour slot. It's only when you actually book it that they then get in touch to tell you your local installer is someone completely different (not on the offered list) with a different price.

So you go from having booked a specific time-slot for a specific price, to finding out neither of them are valid. My installation ended up being with a different installer, a few weeks later and cost more than I actually booked with them. I tried to suggest to them that this was misleading, particular as this was February/March and it could be the difference between someone getting the grant or not if installation was put back beyond the end of March. It all worked out OK for me, hope no-one got caught by this.
Sorry to hear that but a useful warning.

I have gone Tesla Wall Point. The DNO reacted quickly with a fuse upgrade appointment. Arrived on time and were very quick.

Well done UKPN - thank you. They are the "current" incarnation of the old London Electricity Board.

So, over to Mr Charger. No rush though; EDD 28th May -25th June with a fair wind. Talking of which, I am really looking forward to blaming it on the Boom Box😇

Last edited:
I have moved to a property where the previous owner left with his chargepoint (!), but left everything in the Consumer Unit, as there is a 40A RCCB + breaker labeled 'Car' inside.

I am right in thinking as, most of the install is already preexisting, there is now just a matter of suppling and rewiring a wall charger and therefore, I should get a lighter quote from an EVHS installer for a 7kW? What can I expect in terms of £? Sub-500 including the wallpoint?

I have moved to a property where the previous owner left with his chargepoint (!), but left everything in the Consumer Unit, as there is a 40A RCCB + breaker labeled 'Car' inside.

I am right in thinking as, most of the install is already preexisting, there is now just a matter of suppling and rewiring a wall charger and therefore, I should get a lighter quote from an EVHS installer for a 7kW? What can I expect in terms of £? Sub-500 including the wallpoint?

The electrician will need to confirm that the original install meets current regs ... hopefully it does ... the physical connection is very simple, just like wiring a plug if cabling in situ*. So minimal cost. The actual charge points vary greatly in price ... take a look online. They all ultimately charge at the same rate 7kW so appearance and extra functionality will be your deciding factors. You don't need any special extras unless you want online access with an app, load balancing, coordinating with solar etc. (*You will increase the electrician's work if your choice of a smart charge point needs to have networking and/or current sensing clamps that will be in addition to what's already in place.)

Yes, I've never understood the need for 'smart' wall chargers, while I understand that the Tesla can actually do this and start/stop the charge et the convenient times / and with some energy providers, detect itself the off-peak times (cf Octopus). So yes, the cheapest/dumbest 7kw on the market the better. I've looked at EO, do you recommend any other ones?
Thanks!