Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah exactly - I thought since I am getting a tesla lets go all the way with the tesla charger and someone who is an approved tesla installer for piece of mind. Now just waiting for my model Y to be delivered :p
May your EDD be shortened.

However, fun can be had during the (sometimes it seems interminable ) wait. Number one priority, unless you are lucky enough to have a garage, is to prepare the "spare" room for all those aftermarket and OEM accessories.
They are best left unboxed, so if your spare room is a box room....perfek Rodders!

I read somewhere that there was once a waiting list for the Robin Reliant. There definitely was for the Trabant. I guess folks were as excited as we were/are for our Model Ys.

Naming her before delivery also adds a frisson to the wait. I had the impression that I was not waiting for any car but specifically for Lizzie.

Now then.....SWMBO says " Tell them that they should not give in to "fit and finish anxiety"; the Graduating Class of Q2 have, in the main, been very happy....... so as long as the delivery driver doesn't crash her on the way, she should be good.😀

However, fun can be had during the (sometimes it seems interminable ) wait. Number one priority, unless you are lucky enough to have a garage, is to prepare the "spare" room for all those aftermarket and OEM accessories.
They are best left unboxed, so if your spare room is a box room....perfek Rodders!

I read somewhere that there was once a waiting list for the Robin Reliant. There definitely was for the Trabant. I guess folks were as excited as we were/are for our Model Ys.

Naming her before delivery also adds a frisson to the wait. I had the impression that I was not waiting for any car but specifically for Lizzie.

Now then.....SWMBO says " Tell them that they should not give in to "fit and finish anxiety"; the Graduating Class of Q2 have, in the main, been very happy....... so as long as the delivery driver doesn't crash her on the way, she should be good.
Yes! I have already created a lot of bookmarks with the accessories I want! I think it's too early to start ordering but definitely I have space in my shed to start piling up the accessories :p

As for the name....I have already picked: ''Gray Thunder'' due to the midnight silver colour and being an electric car :p

Reactions: Wattsisname
Yes! I have already created a lot of bookmarks with the accessories I want! I think it's too early to start ordering but definitely I have space in my shed to start piling up the accessories :p

As for the name....I have already picked: ''Gray Thunder'' due to the midnight silver colour and being an electric car :p
You'll have a storming time; she will move like lightning.

• Love
Reactions: ermis1234

Now then.....SWMBO says " Tell them that they should not give in to "fit and finish anxiety"; the Graduating Class of Q2 have, in the main, been very happy....... so as long as the delivery driver doesn't crash her on the way, she should be good.😀
PS To all accessory collectors/ planner. give the automatic front trunk lid lifter a wide berth. Check out the litany if disasters in the why not to fit one thread.

I had my Tesla Gen 3 installed by Mr Charger recently in East London. Very good service and the cheapest quote I got. £625 for the installation and £425 for the charger.
Hi Ermis, Did your £625 quote include any PEN fault detection? I am minded to go down Gen 3 route myself and have a good quote from a local electrician of £490 excluding VAT for installation but have confused myself with too many youtube videos on PEN faults and what other kit may need to be installed.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation where I've had a Tesla Wall Charger 3 installed, but the electrician was adamant that no PEN fault detection was needed. Not sure what to do really - just take their word for it or where to go for a second opinion?

I'm in a bit of a weird situation where I've had a Tesla Wall Charger 3 installed, but the electrician was adamant that no PEN fault detection was needed. Not sure what to do really - just take their word for it or where to go for a second opinion?
Clue is in the name "Protective Earth-Neutral", where your earth is provided by the neutral conductor; an arrangement known as a TN-C-S.

If your supply is not TN-C-S then an open PEN fault cannot occur. Note: I'm not an electrician, so don't just take my word for it.

There may well be a label in your meter box describing your earthing setup. Likely one of TT or TN-S.

If it says TN-C-S then find another sparky!

Clue is in the name "Protective Earth-Neutral", where your earth is provided by the neutral conductor; an arrangement known as a TN-C-S.

If your supply is not TN-C-S then an open PEN fault cannot occur. Note: I'm not an electrician, so don't just take my word for it.

There may well be a label in your meter box describing your earthing setup. Likely one of TT or TN-S.

If it says TN-C-S then find another sparky!
They've sent over the certificates etc and they say TN-C-S. But I've asked countless times and adamant that I didn't need it (additional protection). I guess I'll have to pay for a second opinion.

Secondly, I've just had a look and the company I used is on the Tesla approved installers list on the Tesla website. Maybe there is something to do with my RCD/installation that meant I didn't need additional box included?

They've sent over the certificates etc and they say TN-C-S. But I've asked countless times and adamant that I didn't need it (additional protection). I guess I'll have to pay for a second opinion.

Secondly, I've just had a look and the company I used is on the Tesla approved installers list on the Tesla website. Maybe there is something to do with my RCD/installation that meant I didn't need additional box included?
They are saying your supply is TN-C-S? Then you must have PEN fault protection to comply with regs. If they are saying you have TN-S then initially you may not need, BUT check with local DNO as the service cutout may look TN-S but elsewhere in the network may be fed by a PME (TN-C-S) sub station. Also what if it's not at the moment, but is switched in the future. Personally I'd want PEN fault protection anyway.

Went ahead with the Andersen EV because I don’t want to see any cables, might go solar and need the extra length 🤪

Filled in the online form Sunday (uploaded pictures and video), came back on Monday saying they can install next week.

Decent turnaround! Watch as it completely fails at install…

Reactions: MashinBenzin
They are saying your supply is TN-C-S? Then you must have PEN fault protection to comply with regs. If they are saying you have TN-S then initially you may not need, BUT check with local DNO as the service cutout may look TN-S but elsewhere in the network may be fed by a PME (TN-C-S) sub station. Also what if it's not at the moment, but is switched in the future. Personally I'd want PEN fault protection anyway.
Hey Timbo - the supply is TN-C-S. I've reached out to another installer to get their feedback and they have said

"For all gen 3 wall chargers we have always fitted a penn e device and it has always been a requirement. I’ve been advised that some of the new gen 3 are getting built in penn e , so I suppose it all depends if your model has it built in or not."

I guess I'll need to query with Tesla. Or get a third opinion.

Not read all of this thread but PEN fault detection is a "requirement" not a separate device. It can be achieved in different ways. Any hardware being installed today should comply with the Electical Regs as should the competent installer. So stop worrying and start enjoying. If you really want to worry, PEN faults are not limited to EVs you are just as likely to be killed from an outside light or any external earthed metalwork you could touch. If the property 'Earth' goes to unsafe voltages it happens to all earthed metalwork. It is just that EVs are seen as increasing the risk which is debatable in normal use if the cables type 1/2 plugs and sockets are not damaged.

Not read all of this thread but PEN fault detection is a "requirement" not a separate device. It can be achieved in different ways. Any hardware being installed today should comply with the Electical Regs as should the competent installer. So stop worrying and start enjoying. If you really want to worry, PEN faults are not limited to EVs you are just as likely to be killed from an outside light or any external earthed metalwork you could touch. If the property 'Earth' goes to unsafe voltages it happens to all earthed metalwork. It is just that EVs are seen as increasing the risk which is debatable in normal use if the cables type 1/2 plugs and sockets are not damaged.

It's very important to be safe and to follow regs ... but at least it's reassuring to know that people are not dying from charging their EVs despite the fact that there must be a huge number of questionable installations ... and installations that took place before the latest levels of safety protection were introduced.

According to IEA – International Energy Agency there are about about 16.5 million electric cars on the road across the world. Clearly there are different standards in different countries. I do a Google search occasionally to see if anyone has been electrocuted whilst charging an electric car. I've not come across an instance yet. There was an engineer installing public charging infrastructure in the USA killed during the course of his work but no private individual charging their car.

(There is a recent instance being investigated of a man in Outer Dehli who was reportedly charging an e-rickshaw who received a shock and subsequently died in hospital. This isn't an electric car as we know it.)
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 10.49.32.png

Hey Timbo - the supply is TN-C-S. I've reached out to another installer to get their feedback and they have said

"For all gen 3 wall chargers we have always fitted a penn e device and it has always been a requirement. I’ve been advised that some of the new gen 3 are getting built in penn e , so I suppose it all depends if your model has it built in or not."

I guess I'll need to query with Tesla. Or get a third opinion.
According to the TWC manual it will need a PEN fault detector. It is well explained in the appendix of the manual from page 35 onwards

Hi Ermis, Did your £625 quote include any PEN fault detection? I am minded to go down Gen 3 route myself and have a good quote from a local electrician of £490 excluding VAT for installation but have confused myself with too many youtube videos on PEN faults and what other kit may need to be installed.
Yes PEN fault detection device included in this price. £625 is final price with VAT.

Yes PEN fault detection device included in this price. £625 is final price with VAT.
Thanks Ermis, its good to get some benchmarks. I have been getting a wide selection of quotes with most coming in around £500-£600 for installation plus £190-£250 for GARO RCBO and PME Fault Detector. So on top of £425 for the Tesla Wall Charger the sensible ones are £1100-£1200. The more unscrupulous electricians have quoted me £1500-£2000 for what is a pretty standard set up. less than 1m from consumer unit. less than 1m from mains incoming. Brick wall, no need for any digging up or changing any fuses etc.

However, I will be going with Elocology (i think someone else has recommended them too) who have provided excellent service so far, giving endless advice without being instructed yet. Their quote was for me to supply Gen 3 Wall Charger, then they will install for £290 and install fault detector for £120 so that's only £492 including VAT so £917 all in. (or £954 all in for OHME Pro supply and installation) Those savings on the other quotes will go straight on accessories 😂

Thanks Ermis, its good to get some benchmarks. I have been getting a wide selection of quotes with most coming in around £500-£600 for installation plus £190-£250 for GARO RCBO and PME Fault Detector. So on top of £425 for the Tesla Wall Charger the sensible ones are £1100-£1200. The more unscrupulous electricians have quoted me £1500-£2000 for what is a pretty standard set up. less than 1m from consumer unit. less than 1m from mains incoming. Brick wall, no need for any digging up or changing any fuses etc.

However, I will be going with Elocology (i think someone else has recommended them too) who have provided excellent service so far, giving endless advice without being instructed yet. Their quote was for me to supply Gen 3 Wall Charger, then they will install for £290 and install fault detector for £120 so that's only £492 including VAT so £917 all in. (or £954 all in for OHME Pro supply and installation) Those savings on the other quotes will go straight on accessories 😂
Sounds a really fair price. Wish they were in West Yorkshire!