Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus which has been great. Software does all I want it to do, managing charging times and has seemed much more reliable than the Ohme charger it replaced over 12 months ago.

The one you have been offered might be an update on the one I have, but I'd have no problems with that.

Yes I believe the Max is the updated version of the Plus. It’s slightly larger but still pretty compact. Glad it’s been a good solution for you. Will keep you posted if/when I go ahead with it

So interesting titbit i discovered today. Tesla seem to charge consumers a lot less for the gen 3 charger than trade. I got a quote to just install of 576, and one of 1296 to supply and install… The charger is 425?!

The installer recommended installing a new board for the charger which would cover PEN fault detection regardless of model installed. So depending on requirements I’d suggest everyone asks for a quite minus the charger and then shop around and see if you can source one cheaper!

Had my Anderson A2 installed this morning. Very impressed with the look of it and the app. A great, helpful and professional installer (Daniel).

Car is having its first real charge now, topping up from 15% to a planned 80%.
28FB4C70-6709-4033-A511-85E7C0AD00C8.jpeg

Hello, how did people get on with Granny Chargers, I guess @ 30 miles added per overnight cheap rate charge? My current electricity meter has 18 mm tails instead of 25mm , is rated 80 amps instead of 100, hence i cannot get a UKPN upgrade to 100 amps until the meter is updated. I am also on a looped supply with my neighbor, hence the need for a 100 amps. Once all done hoping to install a Zappi by a local installer, cheers.

Hello, how did people get on with Granny Chargers, I guess @ 30 miles added per overnight cheap rate charge? My current electricity meter has 18 mm tails instead of 25mm , is rated 80 amps instead of 100, hence i cannot get a UKPN upgrade to 100 amps until the meter is updated. I am also on a looped supply with my neighbor, hence the need for a 100 amps. Once all done hoping to install a Zappi by a local installer, cheers.

If you are on a looped supply, it is highly unlikely you can go beyond an 80 amp cutout....have the DNO confirmed you can upgrade on a looped supply?

Reactions: ElsDee
If you are on a looped supply, it is highly unlikely you can go beyond an 80 amp cutout....have the DNO confirmed you can upgrade on a looped supply?
Hello, i assume i am on a looped supply as my neighbor and I are down a private lane and the main cable comes into my meter and then out again into his property next door, I sent pictures to UK Power network on the request of the charge point installer , whom in turn requested I ask my supplier British Gas to upgrade my meters and tails from 18mm to 25mm and be uprated to 100A. I hope the visit from the British Gas engineer will determine if I can go beyond 80 amps.

Hello, i assume i am on a looped supply as my neighbor and I are down a private lane and the main cable comes into my meter and then out again into his property next door, I sent pictures to UK Power network on the request of the charge point installer , whom in turn requested I ask my supplier British Gas to upgrade my meters and tails from 18mm to 25mm and be uprated to 100A. I hope the visit from the British Gas engineer will determine if I can go beyond 80 amps.

It is very unusual for a looped supply to be on 100A - also you cannot technically have an EV charger on a looped supply, the DNO is required to 'unloop' it - which will be done for free. However it can take months to get the DNO to unloop it as it requires running another supply cable and as you can imagine that might mean a lot of ground has to be dug up.

The electrical installer is supposed to do a load assessment before installing an EV charger, which includes identifying if you are on a looped supply.
If a looped supply is found then the installer cannot use the 'Connect & Notify' DNO procedure and has to 'Notify & Connect' - i.e. the DNO has to be contacted for authorisation before the EV charger is installed upon which they will say it will need to be un-looped.

EV chargers have been installed on a loop supply only for the DNO to find out when 'notified' and remedial action is done to unloop it. What you have described is a looped supply.

Reactions: ElsDee
It is very unusual for a looped supply to be on 100A - also you cannot technically have an EV charger on a looped supply, the DNO is required to 'unloop' it - which will be done for free. However it can take months to get the DNO to unloop it as it requires running another supply cable and as you can imagine that might mean a lot of ground has to be dug up.

The electrical installer is supposed to do a load assessment before installing an EV charger, which includes identifying if you are on a looped supply.
If a looped supply is found then the installer cannot use the 'Connect & Notify' DNO procedure and has to 'Notify & Connect' - i.e. the DNO has to be contacted for authorisation before the EV charger is installed upon which they will say it will need to be un-looped.

EV chargers have been installed on a loop supply only for the DNO to find out when 'notified' and remedial action is done to unloop it. What you have described is a looped supply.
Cool i will go back to my DNO - UK Power Networks, they are the ones whom told me to contact my supplier. I will go back to UK Power Networks and ask them to re read my application which states I wnated teh upgrade specifically for an EV charger instalation.

My very reputable installer has also replied it wouldn’t be a problem as we can set limits on the charger to it doesn’t exceed the fuse rating.

So I guess I just need to reconfimm with the DNO and tripple check about the meter, tails and fuse being upgraded before proceeding.

DNO = "In order for us to install a 100A main supply fuse for you we require that the internal equipment including the meter and meter tails to be rated at 100A and 25mm respectively. From the photos that you have submitted the meter is currently an 80A one and I believe the tails are 16mm.

These will need to be upgraded via your supplier before we can fit a 100A fuse. When you have contacted your supplier and been given a date please let us know and we can book our visit for afterwards."

P.S. if the installer sets limites in agreement with the DNO, what's the difference in charging miles ph betweem a granny charger, 3.5kw and 7.5 kw chargers please? just getting an idea as this maybe an option from various internet searches , thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_E2982[1].JPG
    IMG_E2982[1].JPG
    893 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Just a slight side note to installation - but hopefully still useful information for someone on timescales for delivery of Wall Connector:

On Saturday 10th September I ordered the Wall Connector via the Tesla App, all very pain free (you will probably all know its £425 which includes postage) but the process is very silent on timescales for delivery. If you go through the FAQ there is a woolly reference to 2-3 weeks for some products but nothing specific to this product. Even after completing the order there are no set timescales, just a promise you "will be updated once the unit is shipped"........ (that got me worrying I was going to be tracking it all the way from Shanghai........ funny how my thoughts turn straight to that.... its not as if any of us have any previous history of doing such things......🤔😂 )

Well I am very pleased to confirm that my shiny new Wall Connector was delivered by DHL this morning (so within 4 working days). Having only been shipped from as far as Tamworth. So I went from worrying I had left my decision way to late, to being very pleasantly surprised.

Installation booked in with Elecology for 8am Wednesday 21st September. Installation cost £492 (including VAT and Garo Type A RCBO & PME fault detector).

Fingers crossed the car is also turning up that day. 🤞

Just a slight side note to installation - but hopefully still useful information for someone on timescales for delivery of Wall Connector:

On Saturday 10th September I ordered the Wall Connector via the Tesla App, all very pain free (you will probably all know its £425 which includes postage) but the process is very silent on timescales for delivery. If you go through the FAQ there is a woolly reference to 2-3 weeks for some products but nothing specific to this product. Even after completing the order there are no set timescales, just a promise you "will be updated once the unit is shipped"........ (that got me worrying I was going to be tracking it all the way from Shanghai........ funny how my thoughts turn straight to that.... its not as if any of us have any previous history of doing such things......🤔😂 )

Well I am very pleased to confirm that my shiny new Wall Connector was delivered by DHL this morning (so within 4 working days). Having only been shipped from as far as Tamworth. So I went from worrying I had left my decision way to late, to being very pleasantly surprised.

Installation booked in with Elecology for 8am Wednesday 21st September. Installation cost £492 (including VAT and Garo Type A RCBO & PME fault detector).

Fingers crossed the car is also turning up that day. 🤞
Mine took about 2 days to arrive, but it wasn’t clear in the app. I have my install on the 21st too, slightly more expensive coming in at £576 but does include a dedicated distribution board:

1way distribution board to be installed next to meter 1no Type A 80amp RCD
1no 32amp C curve MCB
5m of SWA Cable, Cleats and Glands

Good luck!

Reactions: HertsChapY
Just a plug for Lumia ltd around Hampshire area. They did a top job and were really friendly.

I live in a terraced house with parking at the rear. Unfortunately my supply and main CU is in the very front.

Ran about 40m of cable through my back wall, along a small trench one side of the garden, up the back wall of the house behind existing guttering, through the loft, then back down the front hidden behind guttering and across front garden before going through the wall to CU.

Only bit of cable I can see is at the front of house going in. Looks great. Very happy with hypervolt.

I'm unsure why anyone goes for the Tesla Wall Connector - it is cheaper than something like a Zappi, but as it has no PEN fault protection the savings are mute due to the extra costs of a separate unit for PEN fault protection.

The wall connector itself is also pretty dumb, afaik there's still no integration with the Tesla App - it only has a commissioning web page through Wifi.
No solar integration.
No cable tidy other than sling it over the unit, only for the cable to get scraped up by the wall.
No scheduling - so you have to rely on the car's charging scheduling which is half broken imo as you cannot set a start AND end time for charging...only one or the other. So, without scheduling in the charger itself you risk charging past the cut off time for your cheap rate when using the car's scheduling.

The only one good thing it has is the ability to lock the charger to only charge your car.

I'm unsure why anyone goes for the Tesla Wall Connector - it is cheaper than something like a Zappi, but as it has no PEN fault protection the savings are mute due to the extra costs of a separate unit for PEN fault protection.

The wall connector itself is also pretty dumb, afaik there's still no integration with the Tesla App - it only has a commissioning web page through Wifi.
No solar integration.
No cable tidy other than sling it over the unit, only for the cable to get scraped up by the wall.
No scheduling - so you have to rely on the car's charging scheduling which is half broken imo as you cannot set a start AND end time for charging...only one or the other. So, without scheduling in the charger itself you risk charging past the cut off time for your cheap rate when using the car's scheduling.

The only one good thing it has is the ability to lock the charger to only charge your car.
Well you certainly spent some time thinking about why you didn’t get one. I am
Sure we all agree that researching and making the right choices for individual situations is important.

In case your post was in reply to mine, I was not trying to suggest everyone or even anyone should also go for the Wall Charger. I was just helping out by giving some info that doesn’t seem to be out there re: timings.

Now if you were to try and get answers to you actual question of why people would want to get one, you could have asked me. I’d happily tell you it’s because I just wanted it. I looks good. I don’t need smart, I don’t need solar. I can deal with the cable tidy. Also just fully factored in PEN etc and this is still cheaper for me. I’m happy 😃

I have been following this forum for 3 years and haven’t yet read of any instance where someone has plugged into somebody’s domestic charger for a few hours to charge their car. Not a subtle crime! Possibly not high on the list of essential charge point features but most/many do seem to have a way of locking via software/hardware to prevent misuse.

Reactions: blower
Well you certainly spent some time thinking about why you didn’t get one. I am
Sure we all agree that researching and making the right choices for individual situations is important.

In case your post was in reply to mine, I was not trying to suggest everyone or even anyone should also go for the Wall Charger. I was just helping out by giving some info that doesn’t seem to be out there re: timings.

Now if you were to try and get answers to you actual question of why people would want to get one, you could have asked me. I’d happily tell you it’s because I just wanted it. I looks good. I don’t need smart, I don’t need solar. I can deal with the cable tidy. Also just fully factored in PEN etc and this is still cheaper for me. I’m happy 😃

I wasn't targeting anyone in particular - ETTO of course, and I do understand wanting to have a Tesla charger with a Tesla car - it also does look good.

If it weren't for the aforementioned short comings, I'd definitely go for it over any other charger - in fact I wanted too, just when I started researching, I found it was falling a lot short compared to many of the newer smart chargers....of course some of this might change if/when they tie it in with the Tesla app properly.

Reactions: HertsChapY
I had my Andersen A2 installed well before delivery (only getting my MY next week). I only have a 60A fuse which SSEN is willing to upgrade to 100A but the meter tails need upgrading first and Octopus only gave me an appointment a month from now. Andersen went ahead and installed the charger anyway since they set it to adapt the power draw to remain under the 60A limit. I live alone and even using an appliance like the dishwasher or washing machine at the same time as charging I should still be able to charge at full power so not too bothered about the wait for the fuse upgrade.

ointment a month from now. Andersen went ahead and installed the charger anyway since they set it to adapt the power draw to remain under the 60A limit. I live alone and even using an appliance like the dishwasher or washing machine at the same time as charging I should still be able to charge at full power so not too bothered about the wait for the fuse upgrade.
Assuming both washers are at the absolute 13A peak, you still have 6A for the rest of your house power if you use the full 32A charging capacity....
Also, when I upgraded mine, the engineer told me that those main fuses are built to sustain a peak at around +20% above what they are rated for.
So I think you'll be absolutely fine for the weeks to come.