Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charger and installation cost. Where to start??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid 460 for the Tesla wall connector. 230+VAT for installation cost. Supply of Garo Type B RCD / PEN fault detection equipment was extra materials cost at 263+VAT. So all in just under 1k.

Must admit lots don't reply. Some don't turn up for appointments. A few of the big ones seem to put the OLEV in their pocket and charge you an admin fee for the paperwork in addition. One of the most expensive wanted to slap a Zappi on the wall and strap some armoured cable round the outside front of the building to the meter cupboard like they were one step up from a Sky engineer!

I went for the dumb Tesla charger as I'm not convinced the smart chargers will be the final iteration of the technology. All have their own apps and are fairly new companies so you could end up with software not been updated in years to come. Also, I'm not sure there is anything like a standard protocol that will be used the energy suppliers to control the smart chargers?

I went for the Tesla wall charger too for the same reasons plus it has a button on the handle that makes it convenient to use, particularly when its raining!
Also if you have charging problems (like I have right now) its one company that you have to deal with...

• Love
Reactions: Kevratters
I had a Zappi2 installed February for just under £800 inc VAT and the government grant, which was £350 back then. Very pleased with it so far. Works well with my solar and Powerwall. Also has a very helpful user community that the company technicians get involved in. Much like the M3P, it has improved during ownership.

I designed (Amtech/Trimble ProDesign) and installed my own EV Charger. Rolec Wall Pod (Non Smart Version)

I had a spare 40A Type B MCB in my consumer unit from a previous electric shower installation. I had to modify the consumer unit as it was a 17th edition split load with two banks of RCD protected circuits. I separated the 40A breaker from the CU RCDs and fed a 2 core 6mm2 SWA cable about 20m to my installation (Rolec Wall Pod). I drove 2 of 5/8" earth rods into the soil next to my installation (measured <15 Ohm), then used a 16mm2 Earthing conductor I connected this to my MET in the ROLEC EVC. The Rolec has a type A RCBO as well as an 18 edition DC monitoring module to detected DC fault currents in excess of 6mA coming from the EV. the whole installation is compliant to the 18th Edition wiring regulations. some of the newer/more expensive EVCs dont require the dedicated earth rod, but I wasn't willing to pay that premium when 2 earth rods plus couplers etc only cost <£25.

Total material cost approx. £580. no grant available to me as no dedicated driveway.

I am an electrical Engineer.

Does the newer Rolec use the Mk2 Viridian EVSE module? It sounds as if it does, as the Mk2 includes both open PEN detection and DC tolerant earth leakage protection. I recently built a charge point using the newer Viridian module, looks to be a good solution, as it removes the need for wiring the charge point installation as TT. I haven't yet got around to installing this unit, I'm still using my 7 year old home made charge point, that uses a PIC to generate/sense the CP and do the simple logic needed, but I've bench tested the Viridian based unit and it works fine on the vehicle simulator. I wrote up the build of the unit in this thread: DIY charge point

Does the newer Rolec use the Mk2 Viridian EVSE module? It sounds as if it does, as the Mk2 includes both open PEN detection and DC tolerant earth leakage protection. I recently built a charge point using the newer Viridian module, looks to be a good solution, as it removes the need for wiring the charge point installation as TT. I haven't yet got around to installing this unit, I'm still using my 7 year old home made charge point, that uses a PIC to generate/sense the CP and do the simple logic needed, but I've bench tested the Viridian based unit and it works fine on the vehicle simulator. I wrote up the build of the unit in this thread: DIY charge point

I am not entirely sure. I have the older less SMART type, albeit only bought last month. I avoided their SMART offering and others too to be fair as when ever I see SMART features, I decode this DNO throttling enabled! no thanks to that!

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I had 2 quotes to install a Zappi 2 at my house in north Surrey approximately 2 meters from my meter box. They were for £795 and £1129. The later from someone recommended to me, the former with good reviews on checkatrade. Both claim to be the complete price including VAT and all parts (and with OLEV grant already removed so the actual price would have been £350 more). The higher price comes with an optional recommendation to install a surge protection device at £160 + VAT.

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Home Charging"

Is there a thread sopmewhere you can point me to that might dicuss home charging units available in the UK.

Car comes Friday but I've yet to arrange a home charger so I need to start looking

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just had a PODPOINT charger installed and the whole process was very simple and low hassle.

You have to send them lots of photos prior to the install of the cable routes from your consumer unit to your outside wall and then the electrician will book an appointment. Install took less than 2 hours once it was done.

Getting my car on the 10th so don't know if it is any good yet but the install was easy!

Is there a thread sopmewhere you can point me to that might dicuss home charging units available in the UK.

Car comes Friday but I've yet to arrange a home charger so I need to start looking

Thanks

I think you'll find lots of different opinions here but IMO they are all much the same, with a few exceptions (e.g. solar). Whilst the OLEV grant mandates they have to be "smart", a lot of them are in reality pretty dumb. With hindsight, I would go for one that supports Wifi (rather than an embedded 4G card they probably don't even tell you about) to give you a level of future proofing / firmware updates / data transparency. But in reality, the car or app can be smart, and the charger tends to be driven by that.

On that basis, you can spend anything from about £500 to over £1000. Pod Point seem to be well respected on the cheaper side (with good features); Anderson seem to be popular on the premium end. Zappi if you want to hook up solar. Lots of people seem to have Rolecs too.

I found this website helpful for comparison:
https://www.apielectrical.co.uk/electric-vehicles/charge-point-brands/

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said there’s a good number of options, we went with the Andersen A2 as it’s sat on the front of the house and it blends in well (can’t really tell it’s a charger - charger used in the broadest sense of the word).

Ditto.

viber-image-2020-10-01-10-46-25.jpg

With hindsight, I would go for one that supports Wifi (rather than an embedded 4G card they probably don't even tell you about) to give you a level of future proofing / firmware updates / data transparency.

Wifi versions give you an easy way of disabling the communications if in the future you don't want someone externally controlling your charging!

Reactions: Zakalwe