Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheers for the info Roy. Will give them a call and ask. If i was to 'buy' one which is the current recommended installer/provider/etc?
It really depends on which charger you pick - they mostly have their own network of approved installers, but very often they are just local electricians who can submit the OLEV paperwork on your behalf to claim the £500 grant.

To help you see what sort of chargers are available take a look at this thread:

[URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3932848/"]Best home charger[/URL]

Reactions: mysp00n
That's deeply unhelpful isn't it :)

Got to love how many different ways there are to not deliver something helpful atthe customer end.

So you just have one light for the WAN, is it at least a helpful colour like 'green' for example?

They're both green. One is default on and flashes off. One is default off and flashes on.

So utterly useless without documentation about what is ''normal'.

I'm with Octopus Go using a smart meter (SMETS 2) that was installed by EDF in June. They cannot access for Gas readings so I just send one monthly online and they seem quite happy. They access my electricity usage every 30 minutes.

So I think you'll have no problem.

Exactly the same situation as me. I send gas meter readings to Octopus myself but the electricity readings are taken automatically via the smart meter. EDF couldn’t install a gas smart meter for me earlier this year as the cabinet wouldn’t allow for it size wise. But they did installs the SMETS2 electricity smart meter and it works just fine with Octopus.

Have been browsing this thread and trying to identify the company most likely to be able to supply a smart meter relatively quickly. I'm currently with Pure Planet (14.018p per kWh and 26.301p per day standing charge) and have an old EDMI SMETS1 meter whiich isn't "smart enough" for the new smart tariffs.

All I can see from recent postings is that Octopus have been installing in the S/SW area (I'm in Bournemouth) but have not had a response from them to my query on how quickly I'm likely to get a new meter installed.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations of companies to switch to who are installing Smart Meters relatively quickly (in South UK)? My Model 3 is due for delivery on 7th Nov so am keen to switch suppliers asap.

Thanks for the comments and referral messages but have decided to go for the British Gas Electric Drivers Energy Plan Sep 2021 tariff which has the following benefits:
  • Designed exclusively for customers who drive Electric Vehicles
  • Lower priced energy to charge your car overnight between 12am-5am each day
  • Free smart meter installation if you haven’t got one already
  • Secure your energy prices until 30th September 2021
  • 100% of your electricity use on this tariff matched with renewable electricity by purchasing Guarantees of Origin (GoOs)
4.7p/Kwh off-peak and 20.01p/Kwh peak with 25p/day standing charge. The lure of a smart meter upgrade tipped it for me which I need to arrange over the phone tomorrow. On my usage calculations, BG is £250 more per year than Octopus Go but with no leaving penalties so as soon as the smart meter is installed, I'll make the switch to Octopus. There's also a 14-day cooling off period in case BG can't give me a reasonable smart meter installation date. Quidco were also doing £35 cashback for the switch which should hopefully come though before I switch again.

Thanks for the comments and referral messages but have decided to go for the British Gas Electric Drivers Energy Plan Sep 2021 tariff which has the following benefits:
  • 100% of your electricity use on this tariff matched with renewable electricity by purchasing Guarantees of Origin (GoOs)
4.7p/Kwh off-peak and 20.01p/Kwh peak with 25p/day standing charge. The lure of a smart meter upgrade tipped it for me which I need to arrange over the phone tomorrow. On my usage calculations, BG is £250 more per year than Octopus Go but with no leaving penalties so as soon as the smart meter is installed, I'll make the switch to Octopus. There's also a 14-day cooling off period in case BG can't give me a reasonable smart meter installation date. Quidco were also doing £35 cashback for the switch which should hopefully come though before I switch again.
Octopus also do smart meter installation of course. Do you think BG will be quicker? They are a bigger organisation I guess. Just make sure they don't try to fit a SMETS1 or if they do that it is a "secure" brand one otherwise you will not be able to switch it to Octopus and will be stuck.
20ppkw hurts though make sure you run your dishwasher/washing machine/tumble drier etc and anything else high power during the off peak if you can.

Octopus also do smart meter installation of course. Do you think BG will be quicker? They are a bigger organisation I guess. Just make sure they don't try to fit a SMETS1 or if they do that it is a "secure" brand one otherwise you will not be able to switch it to Octopus and will be stuck.
20ppkw hurts though make sure you run your dishwasher/washing machine/tumble drier etc and anything else high power during the off peak if you can.
Will report back tomorrow once I've been advised of the appointment date. Hopefully BG will be quick but if not, will cancel the switch. Will be running most appliances during the off-peak period to minimise the 20ppkw tariff.

Will report back tomorrow once I've been advised of the appointment date. Hopefully BG will be quick but if not, will cancel the switch. Will be running most appliances during the off-peak period to minimise the 20ppkw tariff.

hopefully it will go smoothly for you, but be very specific with them about the SMETS2 meter as it could take another year of more to move away if you get the wrong SMETS1 meter.

... or at least you'll be moving without a Smart meter and trying to get the one you have replaced...

20p peak?? Bloody hell!

My Economy 7 tariff is 14p peak a 9p off peak and the off peak period is 50% (ish) longer. And I don’t get lumbered with a smart meter which may or may not work.

Honestly, this thread is really showing the whole smart meter thing in a very poor light...

I joined British Gas 6 months ago as it was the cheapest tariff for me at the time (pre-EV order). I got their smart meter installed a few weeks ago and are now switching to Octopus after confirming that it was compatible (picture attached). I am in the south east and it was a 4 week wait from schedule to meter install.

Attachments

• IMG_20191027_124350.jpg
    IMG_20191027_124350.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: MikeeUK
I joined British Gas 6 months ago as it was the cheapest tariff for me at the time (pre-EV order). I got their smart meter installed a few weeks ago and are now switching to Octopus after confirming that it was compatible (picture attached). I am in the south east and it was a 4 week wait from schedule to meter install.

I spoke with BG today and they said I'd be able to book my smart meter installation once my account was active in approx 4 weeks time. It's only then I'll know what the lead-time for install is.

Is that meter they installed compatible with Octopus?

Anyone switched to Octopus that didn't already have a smart meter? If so, roughly how long did the process take and were you able to join the Go tariff with relative ease?
I joined with them and had the meter for go installed three weeks later, I'm on south coast, I think it matters where you are in the country.

If you want a referral code for £50 credit then I can provide that...

Anyone switched to Octopus that didn't already have a smart meter? If so, roughly how long did the process take and were you able to join the Go tariff with relative ease?
I think the answers to that will be very mixed. Smart meter installation at this point seems to be a bit of a lottery both in terms of how long it takes and how successful it is. this is not a Octopus specific issue. Seems to be an industry specific issue.

Reactions: Roy W.
It definitely a lottery. I think you’ll just have to take the plunge and hope for the best. At least with Octopus there are no exit fees, so if it looks like getting a meter is a problem you can then jump ship.

My own smart meters were installed a couple of years ago by OVO, within two weeks of joining them. My sister then struggled to get OVO to install her smart meters for about 18 months! I’m in Derbyshire, she’s in rural Lincolnshire. Luckily my OVO meters work fine with Octopus.

I switched to Octopus and got a smart meter within weeks. They may have prioritised me for wanting to be on the GO tariff. I have since switched to the Agile tariff. I downloaded all the Agile data from their excellent API and matched it to my Solaredge usage data, they also have an excellent API. Modelling the different tariffs against my actual usage I found that I was way better off on Agile than GO, and Agile allows me to sell excess solar production back to the grid where GO doesn't. I am doing a 120 mile daily commute so can't fit all my charging into the GO 4hr cheap rate but I don't think I'd be worse off on Agile even if i did fewer miles. Add solar export and it's a no brainer. So if you don't have solar and do low mileage GO maybe better. What this all shows is that it's not exactly easy to compare tariffs. You have to model your usage data. The various APIs make this possible but you need to know your powershell/JSON/cUrl.

Once the switch to Octopus (non Go tariff initially) had taken place the meter install was only a couple of weeks later. There was another short delay before they realised they should be transferring me onto GO and using the smart meter readings but all has been well. You've probably chosen a referral to use for your £50 ... but there's one available from me if you need it.