Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - as I sit here in the frustrating waiting room for my Model 3, supposedly being delivered between 7-20 August :confused: (nae chance!) I got an email reminder from my current power provider that my fixed rate tariff is ending in September. I currently have a dual fuel tariff with EDF arranged via MSE Cheap Energy Club. I’ve switched providers regularly via this route over recent years.

Good timing now to explore alternatives that are better suited to a house with a Tesla Model 3 that will be charged via an Andersen home charging unit. Mostly overnight I assume although I suppose that daytime charging will occur on occasions too.

Any tips/guidance on providers to explore, providers to avoid etc? Thanks.

Hi all - as I sit here in the frustrating waiting room for my Model 3, supposedly being delivered between 7-20 August :confused: (nae chance!) I got an email reminder from my current power provider that my fixed rate tariff is ending in September. I currently have a dual fuel tariff with EDF arranged via MSE Cheap Energy Club. I’ve switched providers regularly via this route over recent years.

Good timing now to explore alternatives that are better suited to a house with a Tesla Model 3 that will be charged via an Andersen home charging unit. Mostly overnight I assume although I suppose that daytime charging will occur on occasions too.

Any tips/guidance on providers to explore, providers to avoid etc? Thanks.

Octopus offer 5p/kWHr overnight tariff from 00:30 to 04:30 so that's about 100 miles worth. There peak and gas rates are competitive too. Need smart meter to be installed but that's free. Please DM me for a link and we'll both get £50 each.

Last edited:
I’ve just switched from OVO after a two year fixed deal to Octopus Energy.

I was on Economy 7, but paying about 8.8p per unit off peak.

Octopus are cheaper for me for both the peak rate and the standing charge, but the big benefit is a four hour window (0030-0430) at just 5p a unit inc VAT.

This should bring my Model 3 cost per mile close to 1p :)

Octopus also do an excellent referral scheme, where both parties get £50 credit on their accounts. If you’re interested in Octopus and want a referral code just DM me, or with any other queries for that matter.

EDIT: @Bernard_S I don’t believe you’re allowed to post referral links directly!

Last edited:
Charging your car with cheap, green electricity

5p / kWh rate for four hours every night (between 12.30 and 4.30am)
Will be switching to this when I finally get delivery of mine
If you aren't with them yet I would start the move asap.

It takes at least 2 weeks to switch supplier and you can't move straight to the Go tariff.
If you don't have a compatible smart meter then you need this replacing (you can't start this until your switch complete) which can take a number of weeks from what I've been reading elsewhere.
In my opinion their standard tariffs are quite competitive as is the Go tariff even if you only use peak energy before you get your car

Reactions: Roy W.
I have also (yesterday) transferred to octopus...also have a referral link...if we can't post the referral link here how do we let people get hold of it...it's £50 each as mentioned...it's an easy win all round...if anyone wants then message me ...suppose that's how!

One other thing if you already have a smart meter - check to see if it has the “Secure” logo on it. If it has then there’s a very good chance that it will be compatible with Octopus GO, so you won’t have to wait for a new meter.

My old smart meter from OVO is Secure, and it’s the same make and model that Octopus fit, so I was fine.

A few tips on Economy 7...

Background: we have an Outlander PHEV (waiting for the M3) which draws 9kWh most nights, and occasionally in the day. We also have a tumble drier, dishwasher and washing machine with timers.

Over the last 3.5 years we've tried two modes of running things, depending on the E7 deals available:

1) Run all 4 at night - 50% of our consumption was night rate
2) Run all 4 just whenever we needed - 10% of our consumption was night rate

The M3 will change the numbers significantly - my guess is quadrupling the overnight charge.

That's the raw maths. If you change the numbers to fit your situation you'll know which way to jump on E7. After that I'd suggest using one of the comparison sites to find the best deal - for us at the moment that's Bulb, which has the (moral) advantage it's zero carbon.

• Helpful
Reactions: ProfessorK
I'm still on the interrim Octopus tariff and I've been waiting for a smart reader since March.
That’s not good. Have you chased them?

It might depend on where you live in the UK. When I went to OVO a couple of years ago they installed my new meter (near Derby) within two weeks of going live. However, my sister lives out on the east coast, and she’s been constantly chasing OVO and until recently always got the answer “we’re not fitting them in your area yet”. She is actually getting one at the end of August, but it’s taken her 18 months.

At least with Octopus there are no exit fees, so if they do mess you about you can jump ship without penalty!

Well that bodes well for me then, switched yesterday, told smart meter in 4 weeks (not confirmed)...got my zappi 2 being installed early September...now all I need is the blooming car!

TBF, it's not Octopus' fault - I lived in Surrey and it was the installer that cancelled the appointment and never got back to me, even when I chased Octopus who chased them.

I moved up to Shropshire mid July and now waiting again...

Background: we have an Outlander PHEV (waiting for the M3) which draws 9kWh most nights, and occasionally in the day. We also have a tumble drier, dishwasher and washing machine with timers.

Over the last 3.5 years we've tried two modes of running things, depending on the E7 deals available:

The M3 will change the numbers significantly - my guess is quadrupling the overnight charge.

That's the raw maths. If you change the numbers to fit your situation you'll know which way to jump on E7. After that I'd suggest using one of the comparison sites to find the best deal - for us at the moment that's Bulb, which has the (moral) advantage it's zero carbon.

I'm going to be granny charging, but won't be using the car every day as I WFH... wonder how much it'll save me. Can Tesla vehicles dictate when it charges, or is that purely charger based for the M3? My Zoe has a nice feature that allows me to choose when it charges.

Since I’ve had the Kona my off-peak use has been a steady 70%, so well worth it for me. Our washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher are also only used at night on their timers.

I just wish the Tesla had the ability to set a stop time on the charger, something which both the Leaf and Kona allow. Perhaps we should all ask Tesla to include it in a future software update? I know it can be done using TeslaFi, but I wasn’t planning on paying for that...

TBF, it's not Octopus' fault - I lived in Surrey and it was the installer that cancelled the appointment and never got back to me, even when I chased Octopus who chased them.

I'm going to be granny charging, but won't be using the car every day as I WFH... wonder how much it'll save me. Can Tesla vehicles dictate when it charges, or is that purely charger based for the M3? My Zoe has a nice feature that allows me to choose when it charges.
Tesla allow you to set a start time, and a target state of charge. So, with Octopus GO I’ll set the start time to 0030, but I’ll have to fanny around with the target SOC to ensure I only add about 100 miles of charge to stay within the 4 hour GO window.

SO, say the car is on 30%, I’ll probably set the target SOC that night to 60%. 30% charge on the long range battery should be around 25kWh, and in four hours my 7.2kW charger should deliver roughly 28kW, so it should stop charging between 0330 and 0400!

It’s a bit of a faff, but tbh you get used to faffing a bit with EVs!

That’s why the option of a Tesla stop time would be better.

I also will be granny charging using the UMC. I’ll be plugging the charging cable into a TP Link HS110 smart socket. Then I’ll just have to say “Alexa, Tesla charger on” for it to start charging. Or, alternatively, I can set a timer. The other advantage is that I can monitor energy use.

Reactions: ProfessorK