Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK EV buying progress/installations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just going through the buying and installing process for my EV future. Installations at home and work. Got my date for a 30amp home charging unit. Filled out all the paperwork and downloaded all the UK Government incentives.

Not sure if anyone is going through or doing the same thing, or already done all this, just engaging with new EV adopters for the UK, and seriously looking at a used Roadster, very tempted, just juggling the costs.

Dan43

- - - Updated - - -

Managed to get a free EV charging post booked for installation. The free unit is a 16amp unit, but for £75 ($110) you can upgrade to a 30amp version. Once booked the team do a survey and install that same day if it is all ok.

Very straight forward process, and now getting one installed at work so I have both home and work charging points.

Dan43

Just received my Ecotricity charging card for the UK allowing access to all their EV charging stations. At this stage they are free. My local site is on the M40 at Oxford Services where they have 3 x charging bays at the main services entrance in the main car park.

My UK EV journey is pretty low key start but sometimes the most mundane of information helps others to decide and choose their options.

Dan43

30 amp charging unit now installed and ready to go, all I need now is the car. Want a Roadster but they just aren't quite cheap enough used in the UK as yet. My Tesla options were bought at $90 so waiting for those to move a bit more also.
Best
Dan43

Which supplier did you go with?

Chargemaster. Its a 30A Type 2 unit Homecharge.

Home Units

The link above the unit I have is the one furthest left. It has no cable attached it is just the plug so I can choose the right cable for the car chosen. Otherwise you have to select a cable and if it is wrong you have nowhere to go is how I looked at it. Tesla for UK as I understand it haven't committed to type 2 yet so went for the plug so I will buy the correct cable when I know.

Cheers
Dan43

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an image of the type2 connection.
Best
Dan43

Attachments

• Type2.jpg
    Type2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 361
Which supplier did you go with?

Chargemaster. Its a 30A Type 2 unit Homecharge.

Home Units

The link above the unit I have is the one furthest left. It has no cable attached it is just the plug so I can choose the right cable for the car chosen. Otherwise you have to select a cable and if it is wrong you have nowhere to go is how I looked at it. Tesla for UK as I understand it haven't committed to type 2 yet so went for the plug so I will buy the correct cable when I know.

Thanks. I think we are now 99% sure Tesla are going with type 2 - it's now confirmed (and photoshere) for mainland-Europe cars, and although most people in the UK don't have 3-phase at home it's going to be much easier elsewhere to get 20kW of 3-phase than 20kW of single phase, so Tesla would be crazy to go back to the USA-style single-phase connector in the RHD cars. Quite apart from the issue of UK drivers sneaking through the tunnel to France etc.

However, what I'm not sure about is which side of the car it's going to be on RHD cars (and hence which side of the garage to install the charger). I haven't tried asking Tesla, but at this stage I'm not sure I'd trust any answer.

Also an issue for me is whether a Model S will fit in my garage at all...

Last edited: