Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Full Self-Driving Capability v Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the UK which option is best to go for Full Self-Driving Capability or Enhanced Autopilot?

In the UK does the full list of Enhanced work (or is allowed):
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Smart Summon
Don't want to spend the money on Enhanced if some things can be used, don't want to pay the extra for Full Self-Driving if again it won't work in the UK. Some of my current Mercedes features don't work in the UK.

Reactions: Toblerone
FSD a waste of money
EAP works on the Mway except for when phantom braking kicks in
It also works in the city fairly well, but expect it to throw a wobbler if any cars are parked in the road.

In short, when EAP works it feels like magic, as I'm sure will FSD but be sure as hell the car will drag you kicking and screaming into reality more often than not, leaving you pissed off you forked out for it

From the videos I'd say if you are in America go for the full FSD. Anywhere else no

Reactions: M1tch and Toblerone
To be honest, keep your options open as long as possible and don’t commit until you have to. It a quick after sale software feature enable that can be done at any time at the push of a button in the app. It’s quite possible that by the time you have made up your mind that subscription will be an option and/or a free trial.

This will give you a chance to try basic TACC and autosteer and see if they are up to your expectations.

As for your original thoughts, FSD doesn’t currently offer anything in UK that EAP doesn’t except for stopping at some junctions - I’ve turned mine off as it’s not ready for UK prime time. Otherwise FSD is a work in progress that doesn’t apply to UK and may never be complete by the time you change to a different car.

The other thing that FSD may offer is a discounted/free upgrade to new hardware if current hardware is found to be lacking for FSD. But that’s just a bit of wishful thinking on my part based on Tesla offering free FSD computer upgrade to earlier adopters and now updated camera suite. It may never apply to newer cars.

Last edited:
In the UK which option is best to go for Full Self-Driving Capability or Enhanced Autopilot?

• Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Smart Summon
Don't want to spend the money on Enhanced if some things can be used, don't want to pay the extra for Full Self-Driving if again it won't work in the UK. Some of my current Mercedes features don't work in the UK.
1. NoA - it works, but it is just recommending lane changes, not allowed to make them for you like in the US
2. Auto Lane Change - Yes, works great
3. Autopark - Yes it works, currently it will only park between two other cars but it seems that it will use vision next year to park between lines. Like most autoparks it's just slow.
4. Summon - Yes, but you need to be within about a meter of the car. I use it when washing the car.
5. Smart Summon - Yes, but given you need to be within about a meter, and the maximum distance is low, it's of no value

Full Self Driving currently only brings one minor feature, traffic light change detection. The weak argument is that it will improve, and the price will increase later. I live in hope. Apparently according to Shapps the UK will allows L3 autonomy in motorway traffic next year, so maybe Tesla will be part of that.

Also to mention, Tesla and WBAC assign no extra trade in value for either.

Reactions: Toblerone
I agree with the others,

What you get as standard does the bulk of what you probably need
EAP makes lane change when using lane assist/keep easier but after that I don’t use any of the other features. I wouldn’t pay for it, it came on my car when I bought it
FSD has virtually nothing extra and used to have a ‘we’ll upgrade your hardware if needed in the future’ promise, but those in the US that didn’t buy FSD and need hardware upgraded parts to take out the subscription version are only paying $1000 to do so.

You can’t take out the subscription here yet, but pretty sure you will by the time FSD is doing something useful. I think for many that’s the way to go, just buy it for the months you’d use it a lot.

The level 3 option next year is interesting, but that’s predicated on a -10s managed hand back to the driver and not something Tesla seems to be even looking at currently so I’m not holding out much hope for that either,

I wouldn't spend the cash on EAP tbh... do the trial, for sure... but for us in the UK the only thing you get that's of any actual use is auto-lane change.

For me, EAP made the overall AP experience significantly worse. Phantom braking and random "weird" events much, much more common (read: occurs on every drive a few times common). In fact, it made AP unusable, because my passengers requested - for the first time ever - that I stop using it and just drive the car. The phantom braking events are a bit scary if you don't know what's happening or you've got someone on your bumper etc...

I'm not sure we'll see FSD anytime soon - the UK is a bit of a different beast in terms of driving than the US.

We justifiably rag on Elon about overly optimistic promises and blown FSD schedules. Remember how his take on FSD 9 evolved from "it will blow your mind" to "not that great"?

But the return of EAP dramatically showcases one of Tesla's major advantages over legacy auto makers. EAP reappeared as a purchasable option about a week after someone asked him for it on Twitter and he replied "OK"...

Can you imagine how long it would take GM, Ford, or even Toyota to do this? First off, their executives don't deign to communicate with their customers directly. Second, even if they agreed to do something similar, it would take months if not years. First they'd have their marketing departments determine if there was enough demand, then work on a price. Then they'd establish a working group to design the features that it would have, which would require multiple meetings over months and sing-offs by various levels of executives. Finally their software divisions would create the product, which would then go through weeks or months of testing, and doubtless be delayed because some mid-level executive's niece told him she really, really wanted it to be able to choose which lane the car would wind up in after exiting the freeway.

Yes, this is how it would go even if it was just turning on an existing feature that any of their software people could enable and verify in an afternoon.

We justifiably rag on Elon about overly optimistic promises and blown FSD schedules. Remember how his take on FSD 9 evolved from "it will blow your mind" to "not that great"?

But the return of EAP dramatically showcases one of Tesla's major advantages over legacy auto makers. EAP reappeared as a purchasable option about a week after someone asked him for it on Twitter and he replied "OK"...

Can you imagine how long it would take GM, Ford, or even Toyota to do this? First off, their executives don't deign to communicate with their customers directly. Second, even if they agreed to do something similar, it would take months if not years. First they'd have their marketing departments determine if there was enough demand, then work on a price. Then they'd establish a working group to design the features that it would have, which would require multiple meetings over months and sing-offs by various levels of executives. Finally their software divisions would create the product, which would then go through weeks or months of testing, and doubtless be delayed because some mid-level executive's niece told him she really, really wanted it to be able to choose which lane the car would wind up in after exiting the freeway.

Yes, this is how it would go even if it was just turning on an existing feature that any of their software people could enable and verify in an afternoon.
We're in the UK forum and EAP never went away, we've been able to buy it almost continuously.

Hoever you paint the glass half full version, the half empty is Musk knows FSD is a long way off and has started to realise he needs to be pragmatic. Imagine GM, Ford, Toyota charging people $10k for something that nearly 6 years after this video still can't do at level 3 or even get close in 90% of the world

We're in the UK forum and EAP never went away, we've been able to buy it almost continuously.

Hoever you paint the glass half full version, the half empty is Musk knows FSD is a long way off and has started to realise he needs to be pragmatic. Imagine GM, Ford, Toyota charging people $10k for something that nearly 6 years after this video still can't do at level 3 or even get close in 90% of the world

Are you saying Toyota would never launch a car without fully testing it so that the wheels won't come out? Or GM wouldn't launch a vehicle where the battery could explode due to a manufacturing defect?

Are you saying Toyota would never launch a car without fully testing it so that the wheels won't come out? Or GM wouldn't launch a vehicle where the battery could explode due to a manufacturing defect?
Where did I say that? I'm only saying pointing the finger at other makes of car as if Tesla never make mistakes or lie is blinkered, and those makes of car, there's a difference between a design that has issues and an expensive feature you never receive.

Lane change should be part of basic AP, it’s the only part of EAP that’s good, but defo not worth ££££
AP automatically re-engaging would be a starting point. The regulations do allow for a lane change if you indicate and its a commercial decision whether Tesla want to do allow that as part of basic AP or EAP, but there's nothing stopping them letting you indicate, autosteer disengages, you change lane, the indicator cancels and AP automatically re-engages which is what other systems do. But they don't, maybe that's a commercial decision too

I've found the solution for me.. just use TACC, you have to hold the wheel anyway, you have lots of faff to change lane, and steering on motoways isn't taxing

Last edited:

• Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon
  • Smart Summon
Had my M3P for 2.5 years now … FSD is a waste of money, wish I never purchased it - its my only regret with the car