Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Gen3 Wall Charger in Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

The Tesla shop used to sell wall chargers online. However, for the last three month there has not been any for sale. I have tried to contact Tesla, but they don't give out any information at all. I assume they are waiting for the Gen3 Wall charger, but who know when that will be available.

I am contemplating ordering one from the UK as I assume they will be identical as even the manual states they are for the same region. Just wondering if anyone have any experience of using a non-Hong Kong charger for a Hong Kong car. I am hoping it's not software locked or anything silly like that. Also assuming any future firmware update will work as well.

Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Most residential places, the max power from your building will likely only get you about 34km/h, regardless of your charger. I don't think a wall charger is really needed. I would suggest just installing a 13A plug; you can install a lockable breaker to prevent unauthorized use. I actually, have a Tesla charger (installed last year), but seldom used. I also bought a UK standard 3rd party 13A plug charger (from Taobao , mainland brand... 800rmb. Same wall plug for HK use, and same plug for HK Tesla (You need to specify. Mainland Model 3, uses different sockets). If you go on the amazon UK website, u can buy the same charger, but at double the price. You can get a tesla 13A Tesla charger for about 4500HKD, in HK), that I use at parking lots that only have 13A plug. Works great... I get about 22km/h. HK is small, if you park at your own space, charging it over night is more than adequate. It also leaves the flexibility, that in the future you may opt for a different brand of EV. Not sure if you have warranty for a charger bought in the UK. Also, Tesla chargers, are installed by their own license tech (or certified 3rd party); unlikely they will install items not approved by local EMSD or not obtained from Tesla HK (Approved in the UK does not mean its approved in HK).

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

As it will be placed outdoor it needs to be weather proof, and with 3 phase there should be no problem getting full charge speed. I have an electrician that can help me wire it as well. The big concern was mainly if it's compatible, but Tesla finally confirmed that the UK is the same one as the HK one.

So, with no other option at the moment I think I will just order one from the UK and send it over. Luckily they are not that bulky anymore so should be easy to do.

A shame Tesla is not better at communicating when they will start selling them again and if so, if they will sell Gen 3 or Gen 3.

Thanks for your reply.

As it will be placed outdoor it needs to be weather proof, and with 3 phase there should be no problem getting full charge speed. I have an electrician that can help me wire it as well. The big concern was mainly if it's compatible, but Tesla finally confirmed that the UK is the same one as the HK one.

So, with no other option at the moment I think I will just order one from the UK and send it over. Luckily they are not that bulky anymore so should be easy to do.

A shame Tesla is not better at communicating when they will start selling them again and if so, if they will sell Gen 3 or Gen 3.
I believe the people who installed my wall charger was Shun Hing (Panasonic distributor in HK). Check with them, see if they sell it. Some people also put the charger inside a metal box to protect it. Good luck.

Most residential places, the max power from your building will likely only get you about 34km/h, regardless of your charger. I don't think a wall charger is really needed. I would suggest just installing a 13A plug; you can install a lockable breaker to prevent unauthorized use. I actually, have a Tesla charger (installed last year), but seldom used. I also bought a UK standard 3rd party 13A plug charger (from Taobao , mainland brand... 800rmb. Same wall plug for HK use, and same plug for HK Tesla (You need to specify. Mainland Model 3, uses different sockets). If you go on the amazon UK website, u can buy the same charger, but at double the price. You can get a tesla 13A Tesla charger for about 4500HKD, in HK), that I use at parking lots that only have 13A plug. Works great... I get about 22km/h. HK is small, if you park at your own space, charging it over night is more than adequate. It also leaves the flexibility, that in the future you may opt for a different brand of EV. Not sure if you have warranty for a charger bought in the UK. Also, Tesla chargers, are installed by their own license tech (or certified 3rd party); unlikely they will install items not approved by local EMSD or not obtained from Tesla HK (Approved in the UK does not mean its approved in HK).
Are you still looking to buy a Tesla Wall Charger? I received one when I purchased my Teslas in 2016 and have no use for it.

Hi,

The Tesla shop used to sell wall chargers online. However, for the last three month there has not been any for sale. I have tried to contact Tesla, but they don't give out any information at all. I assume they are waiting for the Gen3 Wall charger, but who know when that will be available.

I am contemplating ordering one from the UK as I assume they will be identical as even the manual states they are for the same region. Just wondering if anyone have any experience of using a non-Hong Kong charger for a Hong Kong car. I am hoping it's not software locked or anything silly like that. Also assuming any future firmware update will work as well.

Any feedback or thoughts would be much appreciated.
Are you still looking for a HKG wall charger? I was issued one when I purchased my 2016 model S and its still in the box. Please let me know if you are interested in buying it.