Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the EU/UK we have regulations, lots and lots of regulations. Tesla currently can't extend FSD because regulations don't allow it,

Flicking through the new layouts I noticed an option I haven't used much, and thought may be that was the answer......

IMG_20201227_114458.jpg

....... if 'Jack Mode' had been defaulted to ON for our cars! But mine is definitely switched off...... still got jack.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Well, the American market is largely unregulated, Tesla can put out pretty much anything they like and defend any potential law suits, that's how America works.
In the EU/UK we have regulations, lots and lots of regulations. Tesla currently can't extend FSD because regulations don't allow it, and UNECE are still working on inventing new regulations to govern such usage that the UK and EU will adopt.
Also, certainly in UK regulations it would have been questionably illegal for Tesla to have a reversing sound prior to July 2019, same as other cars (for example our 2020 Leaf makes an artificial noise in forward gear, not reverse, same regulation). Tesla could now choose to comply since the AVAS rules came in, and will be required to comply by July 2021 for new sold cars. However I've not studued it but the novelty sounds would seem unlikely to be accepted.
The same goes for novelty horn sounds, the UK certainly has very clear regulations that a horn must be a single continuous tone and no other type of noise generation is allowed unless you are an emergency service or ice cream van. Thank goodness.
Doubt any one would give a stuff about sounds driven with safety in mind .. Or....stationary?(i.e. boombox)

Last edited:
If you can’t set a start time, you can’t guarantee off peak use.
It’s quite easy with the Stats app. In the car leave the finish time permanently set for when your off-peak use ends.

In the Stats app just set the charge slider % bar to wherever the “charge starts” time is after your off-peak starts. That means the charging will start then, and stop at the car’s programmed stop time).

If the car SoC is usually enough so it’ll complete in one off-peak session, this will work every day with no further changes,

If the car SoC is low, then you’d probably need to charge over two nights.

It’s quite easy with the Stats app. In the car leave the finish time permanently set for when your off-peak use ends.

In the Stats app just set the charge slider % bar to wherever the “charge starts” time is after your off-peak starts. That means the charging will start then, and stop at the car’s programmed stop time).

If the car SoC is usually enough so it’ll complete in one off-peak session, this will work every day with no further changes,

If the car SoC is low, then you’d probably need to charge over two nights.
Can’t be doing with third party apps. Fortunately, I can set a timed boost with my Zappi to coincide with off peak.

I cannot believe the UI made it through any sort of review or usability testing. I had just posted something similar in the general software thread section but here's the big points I see after spending some time with it today.

The new @tesla UI in 2020.48.26 is a total UX disaster. A big step backwards in usability and appearance. Everything is crammed together, the information hierarchy is all wrong, there are numerous anti patterns with colour usage and moves important icons out of eyeline

The speedometer is the most important part of this section; Not the car graphics. Shrinking it down and moving it off centre is a huge step backwards. I found it very difficult to pick up in my normal driving eyeline. It is also NOT on the same level as Autopilot speed and status. The hierarchy here is all messed up.

Moving the battery to a monochrome display makes it hard to see. (This also touches on the use of colour point I made) Green is good, yellow is be aware and red is you need to charge. Grey is too neutral. Having it next to the region/power lines also pushes them off-centre.

There is a ton of dead space on the screen now on the upper left. All of this lends itself towards the really cramped feeling the cluster of icons has. The previous iteration was balanced. This is like someone (drunkly) threw UI elements at a dartboard

Whoever had the great idea to colour the “D” icon blue blue and put it right next to the headlight icon needs to review that decision. In your peripheral vision, it looks like your high beams are on as it is universal that high beams are shown as blue.

The auto hold icon (H) that comes on when you’re stopped in drive is an important safety confirmation that used to show at the top of the screen. It’s now hidden beneath my steering wheel at the bottom of that strip of icons on the side.

All of this to say, I love my car, I love the ability to get OTA updates but this one feels rushed out, tries to solve problems that don’t exist and causes me to take my eyes off the road way more than I’m comfortable with. I don't mind the larger car and road visualisation area, my problem exists with all the crap around that circled below.

img_1678-jpeg.621484

I hope this is the case. Given so many things appearing sub-optimal, it's easy to be cynical, especially as the display will need to cater for FSD and non-FSD cars - so why not build in the option to select appropriate layouts from the earliest time. No sense releasing new layouts intended for options we are unlikely to see for some time.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that when the maps get updated the navigation will display the junction lanes above the car visualisation so that you get to see them even if you have another window open.

Does anyone know if any UK model 3s have the exterior speaker? Mines only a couple of months old and no boombox features? Guessing regulations on sound?

some have suggested no U.K. cars have the speaker, but those built from September 2019 may all have the wire and plug ready for the speaker, and the speaker shaped holes in the undertray in front of the offside front wheel.

In the EU/UK we have regulations, lots and lots of regulations. Tesla currently can't extend FSD because regulations don't allow it,

I understand all of that. However, I paid relatively the same for FSD in the EU as people paid in the USA. I'm waiting for full FSD to whatever standard can be applied in Europe. From the start, I've had an inferior product - I knew that and I was prepared to wait for the advance I was told were coming before the end of the year. I believe it will come but now, it's obviously much later and giving me a few games or a different look to my screen is getting dangerously close to insulting my intelligence. I want what I paid for - FSD - and I want to know when it's arriving.

Just took my MX for a drive, to test 48.26 update. It might be me but:
Pro’s
FSD seems much better on minor roads and Auto Navigate off Motorways
Lane position much better, mine was sitting too far to the left, now seems more central, can I hope PB is fixed?
Con’s
Suggested motorway lane change on FSD doesn’t seem to work, neither to overtake or to pull in again after overtaking. If I indicate it will change lane automatically though.
Where has messaging gone? It was in calls but not now; my wife sent me a test text but I didn’t receive a notification nor is it listed in calls.