Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My quick impressions

The good:
- I actually like the speed in the top right corner. Easier to see/find for me and am not bothered by smaller font, despite poor eyesight
- displaying the next 1-2 driving instructions on the avatar part of the screen (when the map side is hidden by a menu) is genius. IMHO should be on all the time
- backup camera button easily accessible

the bad:
- avatar section way too big; constricts the map/menus/music commands unnecessarily and the bigger avatar and proximity lines are distracting.
- too many buttons at the bottom/harder to hit the right one. Would remove wipers and volume as they can be accessed from the physical steering wheel buttons.
- avatar car should be rotated 90 degrees - shows us the passenger side rather than driver’s at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: akenham and Doudeau
I’m intrigued at the changed battery level icon. It is now coloured from the right so with 100% charge I guess it will show no green stripe and 30% charge it will show a 70% green stripe. I suppose at low levels this will show a prominent amber or red stripe which is good but it does seem rather counterintuitive that the shorter the green stripe the more charge you have got. This is supposition because I’m currently at 80% and haven’t driven far enough to see it changing.

Diisplay of nearby obstructions when manoeuvring seems to have improved but no substitute for a 360 birds eye view as I had on my last car.

Got a picture? Haven’t seen that in other screenshots. In others, it’s two shades of grey, unless it’s plugged in when it then turns green

you are right. My colour perception isn’t great and I saw the light grey bar as green. The traditional green bar only appears when the car is actually charging. If it’s plugged in but not charging the battery level icon seems the same as when driving. Still raises the question of what the icon looks like when the battery level is low.

Can someone please clarify whether the new software update makes it impossible to programme the charging times to take advantage of the octopus go cheap rate. I currently schedule charging to start at 00:30 and set the charge limit at a % i know will be reached within 4 hours which works well for me. Is this still possible after the holiday software update or is there another approach that works?
I have always updated to the latest software in the past but if I loose the ability to schedule charging for 00:30-04:30 I’ll pass on this update as the current UI works for me and I’ve no interest in new games.
Yes. Its exactly the same.

I’m about to go for a longer drive but after a short drive and looking at the visuals while parked I see positives with the new UI/UX and I’m not unhappy to have taken the update. It’s time for the next step in the Beta test program we’re on.

Back in the day I was initially not happy with my BBC Micro as it wasn’t as intuitive as the Acorn Atom it replaced. I persevered and soon realised it was a better machine and ever since I’ve tried to not make snap judgements on new interfaces which don’t seem like progress. :)

Back in the day I was initially not happy with my BBC Micro as it wasn’t as intuitive as the Acorn Atom it replaced. I persevered and soon realised it was a better machine and ever since I’ve tried to not make snap judgements on new interfaces which don’t seem like progress
Back in the day I was initially not happy with Windows 8 as a replacement for Windows 7. I persevered and oh, wait.... bad analogy.

Is there a reason I can't think off that there is only a start time for charging and no stop time? I assume USA also has similar electricity tariffs with off peak cheap rates. Would make life simpler, I'm pretty sure most EV owners have moved to a tariff where they can optomise costs.

Reactions: moj66
As posted in the Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems thread, I have taken before and after photos and can confirm that after the update the Model 3 speed indicator is about 75% of the size of the original. I need to go for a drive to decide whether or not I like the new UI.

48-26-text-size.jpg

USA also has similar electricity tariffs

At least in So Cal the tariffs tend to be tiered unless they have changed recently. You get up to a certain kwh at lowest rate, tier 2 for the next band and if you stray into tier three, those units come at a high price.

And they give a discount if you can shed load at peak times.

I believe this all works because the supply generation capacity is maxed out.

As they move to renewables, I guess this will change. Net metering also meant that you could net off generation to offset consumption, so battery storage less attractive except for covering power outages.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElijahEVMan