Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much all the key information in the right hand window, except for the fairly pointless visualisation stuff, needs to be made a lot bigger. Some other stuff, like the time and outside temperature could also do with being bigger, IMHO.

I'd like to see the speed size increased, and moved to the left a bit so that it's no longer partially hidden, plus I'd like to see things like the % charge remaining and regen bars made bigger. The latter are so tiny now, and the contrast is so poor on the display, that the display may as well not be there.

Someone at Tesla needs to review HMI changes like this properly, using a representative demographic for all owners, and ensuring that the specific RHD aspects are properly reviewed. It seems clear that no one that normally wears varifocal glasses reviewed these changes - if they had they would have realised immediately that the changes made some aspects of the display close to being unreadable.

It's just poor UI anyway.. the right hand side of the display isn't particularly usable as it is often obscured.. having the various status icons on the top worked and was uncontroversial, so why change it? They can't say 'space for visualisations' as that change actually reduced the horizontal space available (and there has never been a shortage of vertical space).

notification that 35.5 is ready but since it's in Tesla shop I'll wait until I (ever) get notifcation to collect and then tell it to download... hopefully it has more chance of getting a nav update there too.
Enterprise Loaner S also has notification for download but I can't remember the barn wi-fi password and can't be bothered to climb into the barn roof to the sub-router to go see and it's too soggy to drive across the grass within range of the house main router - for what may just be a few day's wait..,unless we get a really hard frosten night..

Someone at Tesla needs to review HMI changes like this properly, using a representative demographic for all owners, and ensuring that the specific RHD aspects are properly reviewed.

This, 100%. The RHD implementation - particularly for the M3 - is lazy, they just swap the two main windows without any apparent consideration for the fact that it makes some controls very difficult to use because they're moved to the far side of the display away from the driver (e.g. The close window control is in the middle of an LHD screen, but on the far left of an RHD screen)

Similarly, moving the status window from the left of the display to right causes some information to be partially or completely obscured (depending on your steering wheel/seating position) and should actually be swapped to the other side of that window.

For a company that prides itself on the vehicle software, they are extremely bad at the UI part. Actually, they're pretty poor at a lot of the other stuff too; I know FSD is their goal, but while we wait for that they need to get more of the basics nailed properly. I'm not just talking about stuff like phantom braking, I'm talking about the very fundamental stuff like automatic windscreen wipers and automatic high beam (which I turned off after the first time I drove in the dark because it was so terrible).

100 cool features that don't work aren't nearly as good as 10 that do.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the GUI a looks like it’s been designed by kids with perfect close eyesight and little driving experience on the road.

I know I sound like my Dad did and an old git but turns out he was right!
Old gits in Tesla’s rule :D It’s like having my old 650 Bonnie back without the worry of falling off :rolleyes:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the GUI a looks like it’s been designed by kids with perfect close eyesight and little driving experience on the road.

I know I sound like my Dad did and an old git but turns out he was right!

Exactly right!

I completely agree. The central display was a real plus for me in the early days (before the xmas update), but it's now at risk of becoming an embarrasement. This leaning towards the 80's arcade game stlye, coupled with the noise levels at m way speeds and a few other things such as phantom braking mean I think I'll be looking elsewhere for my next car.

Reactions: pgkevet and Dilly
They seemed to have fixed the traffic light detection in 35.5. Prior to the latest update it would only correctly display 1 traffic light in a cluster of 4, now all seem to correctly display.

So, yeah, out of the long, long list of stuff that needs fixing some bright spark decided to make a name for themselves on the least critical piece. <slow handclaps>

Once the Secretary of State for Transport (currently Grant Shapps*) recognises/lists a model of car as being capable of driving itself, it will be covered by the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018. That includes the following provision:

4 Accident resulting from unauthorised software alterations or failure to update software
(1) An insurance policy in respect of an automated vehicle may exclude or limit the insurer’s liability under section 2(1) for damage suffered by an insured person arising from an accident occurring as a direct result of—
(a) software alterations made by the insured person, or with the insured person’s knowledge, that are prohibited under the policy, or
(b) a failure to install safety-critical software updates that the insured person knows, or ought reasonably to know, are safety-critical.

So if you fail to keep the software up-to-date you might find that your car insurance is no longer valid...

*Shapps has a Model 3, and he is keen for the UK to be "the first country to allow hands-free driving", so this might sooner than you think.

Edit: Just to add that Shapps has the FSD upgrade on his Model 3.

Last edited: