Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These *are* the UNECE rules. It just makes good press to announce it first as if we came up with it..
It’s just a part of them, isn’t it? What about Summon etc?

And as I understand it the rules are only going to allow the car to operate autonomously up to 37mph (60kmh)? So basically in stop start traffic situations on motorways - aka boring. There was talk of the UK relaxing this to work up to 70mph but I’m sure I read recently somewhere that this had been dismissed as an idea?

The level 3 rules passed in June last year, and come into force this month. UN Regulation on Automated Lane Keeping Systems is milestone for safe introduction of ‎automated vehicles in traffic ‎ | UNECE.

Yeah 60km/h on divided roads only, so in theory if there are 37mph dual carriageways it would work, if there are any, but it's pretty irrelevant for what Tesla are trying to do currently as their system is still a driver aid covered by other categories - I'd wager they wouldn't want their system to be under these rules as it'd basically cripple it. There rules seem to be mostly there to allow further testing/development rather than any serious rollout, which would require use on all roads and higher speeds.

I've yet to see any evidence of us breaking ranks and implementing more lax rules - an increase to 70mph was proposed and rejected, which makes the press spin all the more fascinating..

Last edited:
Once the Secretary of State for Transport (currently Grant Shapps*) recognises/lists a model of car as being capable of driving itself, it will be covered by the Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018. That includes the following provision:

4 Accident resulting from unauthorised software alterations or failure to update software
(1) An insurance policy in respect of an automated vehicle may exclude or limit the insurer’s liability under section 2(1) for damage suffered by an insured person arising from an accident occurring as a direct result of—
(a) software alterations made by the insured person, or with the insured person’s knowledge, that are prohibited under the policy, or
(b) a failure to install safety-critical software updates that the insured person knows, or ought reasonably to know, are safety-critical.

So if you fail to keep the software up-to-date you might find that your car insurance is no longer valid...

*Shapps has a Model 3, and he is keen for the UK to be "the first country to allow hands-free driving", so this might sooner than you think.

Edit: Just to add that Shapps has the FSD upgrade on his Model 3.
It's great to see a Government minister who has a Tesla with FSD. I keep reading that the UK needs battery Gigafactories. As Elon has outlined on Battery Day how awesome Tesla battery production is about to become, we really need a Tesla battery factory here, hopefully with some car capacity attached.

They seemed to have fixed the traffic light detection in 35.5. Prior to the latest update it would only correctly display 1 traffic light in a cluster of 4, now all seem to correctly display.

So, yeah, out of the long, long list of stuff that needs fixing some bright spark decided to make a name for themselves on the least critical piece. <slow handclaps>

Seeing traffic lights on the screen is all well and good but what is the point of it in Europe ? There are far more important things to sort out.

When I had mine replaced by Tesla I was told that the eSIM was part of the connectivity board & non removable in its own right.
The eSim on HW3.0 is soldered to the MCU so not changeable as Tesla say. HW 2.5 used to have a sim card slot in the MCU so may be a slightly easier job for owners in markets that received their cars earlier than the UK.

There's a thread here that explains it quite well:
Need help locate SIM card module in EU/UK model3 (pictures)

And an interesting solution a Russian owner used to bypass the esim and replace with a different board and esim here:
Замена симки — Tesla Model 3, 2018 года на DRIVE2

Can't see myself trying this anytime soon, besides, my Dutch has vastly improved during Tesla ownership :)

There was rumoured to be a 35.7. Perhaps this puts back the larger speedo font for the 3 like 35.5 did for the S & X
I concur. I need games like a hole in the head and I’m more than capable of farting for myself !!

48.35.7 is an FSD beta update (8.1) so only available to the 1000 FSD beta testers in the states:

35.7-FSDbeta.png

This is last years release schedule for our car. Column on far right is number of days since previous installation. Second right is number of days since that release was first spotted in the wild.

2019.40.50.x was last years equivalent of the 'holiday' release.

I believe we switched from advanced to standard release between 2020.4.x and 2020.8.x - 2020.8.3 . Part because of first lockdown and part because one of the early year releases were reporting issues that we wanted to avoid.

If history repeats, the first sightings in the wild of a 2021 release could be imminent. But its an extraordinary time.

upload_2021-1-28_20-11-0.png