Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally unimpressed with this update. Making the visualisations better is rather pointless. That’s what the windscreen is for!
Seeing the windows open on screen. How useful is that!
Charge settings are a wasted opportunity. Only half the job is done. If you can’t set a start time, you can’t guarantee off peak use.
It’s becoming more tempting to just turn all the dross and frippery off.

Generally unimpressed with this update. Making the visualisations better is rather pointless. That’s what the windscreen is for!
Seeing the windows open on screen. How useful is that!
Charge settings are a wasted opportunity. Only half the job is done. If you can’t set a start time, you can’t guarantee off peak use.
It’s becoming more tempting to just turn all the dross and frippery off.
amazes me how excited youtubers across the pond get so excited over silly little animations like the windows etc. It's the functionality of the car that's important with these updates

The car/visualisation section is way too big! It was too big before (imo) and now it's worse!

Also don't like the camera buttons moving down, too much empty space on that section. Makes no sense. Make it way bigger AND remove things from it.

I literally hate it.

Been out for a drive and I agree. There about 10-15% wasted space, and speedo is now too far to the right for that easy glance down. I'm sure they made the font a couple of sizes smaller also

Reactions: Silicon Desert
It seems like we’re a hard bunch to please

I've thought the same but after this update, I really am seriously unimpressed. I have a March 2020 3LR so even if I wanted a reversing sound, which is possibly a good safety upgrade, I can't have it as apparently, I don't have a speaker. The rest is more games which I have used once on a destination journey, a charging schedule I can't yet get my head round to use off-peak and pre-condition the car before departure and a 'revamp' of the display which was pretty much OK before. What I don't appear to have is the promised rewrite of FSD/Nav.
I now understand that I should take all the hype, pre-announcements, features and Youtube videos with a pinch of salt - they are mainly for the American market. Europe either gets stuff late or not at all.

I've thought the same but after this update, I really am seriously unimpressed. I have a March 2020 3LR so even if I wanted a reversing sound, which is possibly a good safety upgrade, I can't have it as apparently, I don't have a speaker. The rest is more games which I have used once on a destination journey, a charging schedule I can't yet get my head round to use off-peak and pre-condition the car before departure and a 'revamp' of the display which was pretty much OK before. What I don't appear to have is the promised rewrite of FSD/Nav.
I now understand that I should take all the hype, pre-announcements, features and Youtube videos with a pinch of salt - they are mainly for the American market. Europe either gets stuff late or not at all.
Well, the American market is largely unregulated, Tesla can put out pretty much anything they like and defend any potential law suits, that's how America works.
In the EU/UK we have regulations, lots and lots of regulations. Tesla currently can't extend FSD because regulations don't allow it, and UNECE are still working on inventing new regulations to govern such usage that the UK and EU will adopt.
Also, certainly in UK regulations it would have been questionably illegal for Tesla to have a reversing sound prior to July 2019, same as other cars (for example our 2020 Leaf makes an artificial noise in forward gear, not reverse, same regulation). Tesla could now choose to comply since the AVAS rules came in, and will be required to comply by July 2021 for new sold cars. However I've not studued it but the novelty sounds would seem unlikely to be accepted.
The same goes for novelty horn sounds, the UK certainly has very clear regulations that a horn must be a single continuous tone and no other type of noise generation is allowed unless you are an emergency service or ice cream van. Thank goodness.

I’m clearly in the minority … but I’m pleased with the update and like the new layout. Albeit, with a caveat of not having gone out for a drive yet. I’m confident the layout, rather than being made for change-sake, has been released for a specific reason - which we have only recently seen first glimpses of in the US FSD beta release.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
First rule of UI; make it intuitive.
Second rule; make it user friendly
Third rule; make it do what is needed.

charging remains a bit of a failure as do a few other features.

it would be a huge step forward to be able to customise TACC, limiting it to the forward cameras.

...and I’m sure my car had the correct wheels in the old visualisation. Now it has performance wheels!

no start time that I can find

IMG_20201227_114700.jpg

Haven't tried using it.

It seems like we’re a hard bunch to please

I feel that way too.... but it is frustrating that we are supposed to be excited by small gimmicks (like animated window visualisation) while ignoring that USB album artwork disappeared and still isn't fixed.

Likewise the phantom braking 'chestnut' that just nags and nags is harder to accept while also trusting that City FSD will arrive some day and not suffer from similar issues. And if it is fixed in City FSD, then why not at least implement the fix in what we are allowed to have?

the layout, rather than being made for change-sake, has been released for a specific reason

I hope this is the case. Given so many things appearing sub-optimal, it's easy to be cynical, especially as the display will need to cater for FSD and non-FSD cars - so why not build in the option to select appropriate layouts from the earliest time. No sense releasing new layouts intended for options we are unlikely to see for some time.

people will be complaining that the visualisation isn’t big enough

Yes. And just maybe we will get city FSD visualisations in UK / Europe. But as they will just be a visualisation with no real control-related purpose, being able to turn them off is probably a good idea.

Reactions: MrBadger and CMc1