Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have they ever worked for you in the locations that you tested?

Its been a while since I have driven the car to test 50mph signs (and national). When the speed sign recognition first came out, I raised the issue of some 50 and 70mph signs were not being picked up [UK] 2020.36.x. The response came back that speed sign recognition only worked for 'local roads' - the roads that I were testing were dual carriage ways, and slip roads, so accepted that explanation. Over a few releases, I noticed a couple of national signs being recognised, but speed change not actioned - I seem to be an outlier with that. But the 50 and nationals on my test route still not recognised.

I'm just trying to work out if the local roads restriction has subsequently been lifted. I've not noticed it in any release notes.

I've never seen NSL recognised (as it's variable depending on conditions it may be beyond the current system to do so anyway). Definitely seen 60 and 50 recognised but not actioned (I've never seen AP action a speed limit change, which I've never been able to explain compared to others experience).

There are definitely roads though where it 'turns off' and completely fails to recognise even 30s. Doesn't seem consistent which roads.. there's probably some algorithm somewhere that decides if a road is 'local' but I'm damned if I can work out what it is..

Have they ever worked for you in the locations that you tested?

Thanks to lockdown and Christmas I've never driven these roads with the car yet - I've only had it two weeks after all.

The first one I noticed because I was curious more than anything, as I join the dual carriageway there are some 50 signs that have been left there following major roadworks that are no longer present, the car didn't seem to recognise any of them but I didn't really expect it to. At the end of that road it does drop to 50 officially, which it did register but that seemed to be by GPS as the limit on the screen changed about 4-500 yards after the signs.

Further along the limit drops to 40 then to 30 and at both of those changes the car showed the signs floating at the side of the road on the visualisation area and the displayed limit changed as I passed the signs.

As I turn on to the next dual carriageway the limit is 50 (correctly displayed on screen, but I was too busy negotiating the junction to notice what the car was doing), after about a mile it goes to national speed limit and again there were floating signs in the visualisation and the displayed limit changed as I passed the signs.

The end of that road changes to 50, then 40 and then 30 as you get to the junction that leads back on to residential streets. The car completely missed the 50 limit, saying it was 70 right up to the 40 limit, which it recognised immediately, same with the 30.

If it had missed some signs and not others then I would have put it down to limitations of the software or something environmental, but honestly it looked like it just had no idea what 50mph signs were for.

Obviously this was not an exhaustive scientific test, I just thought I'd mention it in here to see if anyone else was seeing the same problem.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is the local roads limit. I obviously do not know your rad and more importantly its history. But I'll explain mine from one of my test routes. You may see some similarities, or not.

fwiw, this part of my test route is the A331 near M3 J4, heading south, and subsequently north along opposite carriageway.

The A331 in this section is a mix of historical 50 and NSL/70. But more useful, it recently extended the 50 limit but this is yet to update in the nav data. So this gives me a perfect indication as to what it is detecting via visual, and what it is using from (stale) map data. Almost certainly, at least for part, this section of road is not classed as local road - NoA is available on it.

Entering a slip from local 40mph limit, the car is (was?) totally blind to the 50 mph on the slip road. The car detects speed limit of the old 70mph. ie, it is using stale gps/map data. TACC speed is set to 70mph.

Exiting the new 50mph into the original NSL/70, the car is blind to the NSL sign. iirc, the car is also blind to the intermediate repeater 50mph signs. TACC speed remains as previously set, ie dialed down from the incorrect 70 to 50.

Returning back on other carriageway, transitioning from NSL/70 to new 50mph, the car is totally blind to the 50mph sign. TACC speed remains at 70mph.

Entering the old 50mph section, TACC speed changes speed. Oddly, TACC prior to entering this section was dialed down to 50. On entering the old limit, TACC speed changes from 50 to an incorrect 40. Car incorrectly brakes. Soon after is a roundabout. The car may be slowing for that but, imho, its rather premature.

tl;dr Conclusion, non local roads, which seem to have a high correlation to roads that NoA is available (EAP/FSD), the car is blind to visual speed limits, but does follow gps/map based speed limits. Map speed data in this case is at least 2 years out of date.

Its been quite a few versions since I've done this test which is why I am trying to see if behaviour has changed.

• Informative
Reactions: Yachtsman
Mine picks up all local signs on A & B roads some are NSL some 50 and some 30.
In AP it will also increase or reduce the speed of the car. It doesn’t do that in TACC alone.
Norfolk doesn’t have any motorways so I not tested those, but dual carriageways are fine.

It certainly looks like the sign recognition could be described as "patchy".

One other example I remembered this morning was a stretch of road that used to be NSL, but is now 40 because of a new layout in the last couple of year. On the first part of the road the car was showing a limit of 60 (originally correct, single carriageway), but then changed to 40 when I passed the first repeater, so it looks like it missed the signs at the start of the road.

The other thing that I don't like is how it changes to the maps speed limit when you change roads, even if it doesn't see another sign. I've had it a few times where it's picked up a 20 limit and then thinks it's 30 even if it's not, maybe this is how limits work in California?

I've got the opposite problem - it doesn't use the maps speed limit on a new road.. hence it thinks much of my journey into town is 40 (it's 30, always has been, but there's no sign saying so - the 40 is one of the turnoffs at a major junction).

Not that I'd ever use AP or TACC in that kind of environment.. too busy.. but it doesn't bode well for 'town FSD' unless it gets a lot better.

Driving in the dark this evening the visualisation of the car’s headlights was dazzlingly bright and very distracting. Voice command responded to “ dim display” by reducing brightness by 30%. That solved the dazzle but meant that current speed was about the only thing on the screen that was reasonably readable. There are aspects of the new UI I like, but on balance my verdict would be “must try a lot harder”!