Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we have established the most recent update stops the car from sleeping and is a massive battery drain. Obviously there are exceptions, I am talking in a general sense.

Reliable guy on Reddit suggests the second part of the Xmas update could roll at the end of this week or early next. So hopefully that’ll fix some more of the bugs (obviously none of the UI issues will be addressed and everyone will get use to the downgrade).

iirc, some official range test results were said (by EM) to have been carried out with batteries not fully charged 'due to charge port door being left open'.

I can see that if you want the car to charge after a power outage or with a simple timed charging supply, then the car needs to be awake and ready to start charging at all times. My other EV has a scheduled charge option and the car is in lowest power mode not checking for charge supply until the scheduled start time. If I plug in an inactive charge plug without scheduling a start time, the car gives up looking for charge power and even when the charge plug energises, the car ignores it and doesn't charge.

iirc, some official range test results were said (by EM) to have been carried out with batteries not fully charged 'due to charge port door being left open'.

I can see that if you want the car to charge after a power outage or with a simple timed charging supply, then the car needs to be awake and ready to start charging at all times. My other EV has a scheduled charge option and the car is in lowest power mode not checking for charge supply until the scheduled start time. If I plug in an inactive charge plug without scheduling a start time, the car gives up looking for charge power and even when the charge plug energises, the car ignores it and doesn't charge.

If you have the car plugged in but the supply is off etc then when it's energised the car will wake from sleeping
If no scheduled charging is set it will charge if needed or if not sleep shortly after.

Didn't he say they left the door open or something, not sure you can actually leave the CP open as it tends to close on its own?

Didn't he say they left the door open or something, not sure you can actually leave the CP open as it tends to close on its own?

Exactly what I thought, which didn't make sense! But then I doubt Elon was being that detailed! The only way I could make sense of his comment was if the chargers used powered off.

Any ways, we know what our cars do.

If you have the car plugged in but the supply is off etc then when it's energised the car will wake from sleeping
If no scheduled charging is set it will charge if needed or if not sleep shortly after.
This is correct, and its been this way for several months. If the car is connected to a charger and ready to charge, but no power is being supplied it will keep sleeping and waking. It does this in order to determine if the charger is now offering charge.

Reactions: Battpower
This is correct, and its been this way for several months. If the car is connected to a charger and ready to charge, but no power is being supplied it will keep sleeping and waking. It does this in order to determine if the charger is now offering charge.

I don’t think this is right - at least for my M3. My car sleeps right up to the moment charge is offered at 0030. Teslafi shows it as awake (parked] for 0 minutes before charging starts.

Reactions: Yachtsman
I don’t think this is right - at least for my M3. My car sleeps right up to the moment charge is offered at 0030. Teslafi shows it as awake (parked] for 0 minutes before charging starts.

Same here. My car wakes up when the charge point turns on, if the car is asleep, and doesn't regularly wake up to check in between times. It didn't always do this, there was a software bug that stopped the car waking up when triggered by the charge point signalling changing state, but that bug was fixed in an update rolled out last June.

If you set a scheduled time for charging to start, then the car should sleep just fine. Presumably it knows that it doesn't need to 'poll' the charge socket.

If you have the car set to normal charging, it stays awake / keeps waking regularly if the charge plug in inserted.

If you set a scheduled time for charging to start, then the car should sleep just fine. Presumably it knows that it doesn't need to 'poll' the charge socket.

If you have the car set to normal charging, it stays awake / keeps waking regularly if the charge plug in inserted.

Not something I've seen. My car stays plugged in much of the time, with the charge point set to turn on at midnight each night, and off again at 7 am. The car just stays asleep until the charge point turns on, then wakes up and charges if it needs to. It's done this consistently since the software update last June. I've not bothered to use the car's scheduled charging options, as they weren't particularly useful when it comes to setting a specific charging time slot, so that car is always set to "charge immediately". The only message the car initially displays with this approach is the "charging equipment not ready" message, when it's plugged in, but the charge point isn't signalling that power is available yet..

Not something I've seen. My car stays plugged in much of the time, with the charge point set to turn on at midnight each night, and off again at 7 am. The car just stays asleep until the charge point turns on, then wakes up and charges if it needs to. It's done this consistently since the software update last June. I've not bothered to use the car's scheduled charging options, as they weren't particularly useful when it comes to setting a specific charging time slot, so that car is always set to "charge immediately". The only message the car initially displays with this approach is the "charging equipment not ready" message, when it's plugged in, but the charge point isn't signalling that power is available yet..

Me too. I take advantage of the Octopus Go off peak tariff. Chargepoint is set to turn on 0030-0430. Car is normally plugged in whenever parked without any scheduling set. Car sleeps and wakes when chargepoint turns on.

Could it depend on whether you SOC reaches the set charge level? In my most recent observations, I was using available solar PV to charge so the car was charging, then charge outlet turned off but car not reached set charge limit.

Exactly the same for me. Needs more evidence to understand better I guess.

Might this be another difference between models when an update is rolled out, I wonder? For example, the Model S didn't suffer from the failure to turn on and charge software bug that the Model 3 had for the first 18 months after launch, I believe.

As for SoC, my car is set to charge to 90%, and I've not bothered to try PV charging for a couple of months now, only timed off-peak charging. If it's more than a couple of percent below 90%, then it will turn on and charge at midnight. If it isn't, it will wake up when the charge point turns on, then go back to sleep until I drive it, or until it gets woken up for some other reason.

difference between models

My Renault EV's (same model, 2015 and 2017) from a user perspective the software looks very similar, but 2015 will wake up from a charge cable plugged in while powered off, compared with 2017 which will not charge unless the charge plug is powered up when plugged in.

2017 appears to work on the basis that if the cable is dead when plugged in, you didn't intend charging (or more likely intend using on-board scheduling to wake the car) but once the car starts charging, if the charge outlet powers off, it is probably unintended (power cut) so the car does restart charging when it can.

Just to add to the variables, my car isn't plugged in overnight and I see regular sleep/online cycles. Its in the bodyshop just now, but when it's out I'll disable Teslamate (even though it is streaming mode) to see if that makes a difference. TeslaFi's funky Compuserve style interface is showing the same pattern, so its not Teslamate misinterpreting the status of the car.

• Funny
Reactions: adsheff
StatsApp reporting on Twitter that 2020.48.35 is here:
48.35.jpg

Last edited: