TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[UK] ID.3 UK orders soon to open

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by VanillaAir_UK, Jul 16, 2020.

1. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

This was plan B whilst Tesla delivery issues were sorting themselves out. If it wasn't for the current WLTP figure of 260 miles not being enough for main car (not so fussed about superchargers now as would only have occasional need and others seem to be rapidly spreading) and probably too expensive to justify for a second car it may still have been an option.

Personally I think its going to be a huge seller, especially for those aspiring to a SR+. It will probably be at an initial premium, but expect variants to drop to sub ~£30k fairly quickly.

upload_2020-7-16_16-58-6.png

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Mark-R

Mark-R Member

Three of the five cars I have owned have been VWs (a Polo and 2x Golf), so the ID.3 was going to be my 'switch to electric' plan A. But then a trip to Norway last August convinced me that Tesla were a serious motor manufacturer (there are a LOT of Tesla's in Norway). A Model S owning neighbour also convinced me of the benefits of the SuperCharger network, and the excellent reviews the M3 received persuaded me to go with Tesla and the Model 3.

I'm still interested to see how well the ID.3 does, but the software problem they have had doesn't fill me with confidence, and I'm very pleased with my M3:)

• Like x 1
  3. Medved_77

Medved_77 TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD

Hopefully they're not sharing the same software as the e-tron:

SmartSelect_20200716-173717_Chrome.jpg

• Funny x 15
    • Like x 2
  4. Masklin

Masklin Member

Got an ID.3 waitlist/order soon email earlier as well, wonder if I should tell them...

5. M3noob

M3noob Supporting Member

Hmmm anorexic-appearing menstuator not wearing mask. Not socially responsible.

Worst car I ever owned was a Year 1 Scirocco. VW has a lifetime ban with me.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
  6. Mr H

Mr H Active Member

After my last VW, an EOS TDI which snapped it's crankshaft at 70kmiles - i haven't and won't touch VW again, the roof leaked like a politician too

• Like x 1
  7. Drew57

Drew57 Member

After the VW emissions-cheating saga I would never use them, regardless of quality or reviews

• Like x 4
  8. Masklin

Masklin Member

I had an EOS a good few years ago, its roof leaked as well!

• Like x 1
  9. VanillaAir_UK

Until last week, nearly 10 months after taking delivery, our Model 3 roof leaked in 3 places apparently - I only noticed the one place, so just because you don't see water, don't assume its leak free. Apparently missed adhesive is not uncommon on one of the production lines. 3 pieces glass replaced, at least I finally got rid of the crap they coated the windscreen with on delivery. Shame it has to go back to rectify faults they introduced during the last 2 service centre visits.

If I had have known then what I knew now, the ID.3 would have been top of list, and Tesla removed from any short list.

10. AnthonyLR

AnthonyLR Member

That’s sad to hear from such an active member of the forum.

• Like x 1
  11. VanillaAir_UK

Thanks. In nearly 10 months ownership, we have not had one moment where the car had not had several non insignificant faults. And that doesn't even cover our originally assigned car that they 'lost' on the morning of collection leading them to give us someone else's car. In the last two weeks, we are finally fixed of all* known faults from delivery, and just onto faults/damage that occurred during the last two service centre visits. They were due to be fixed by ranger, but they cancelled as service centre need to sort. So not quite there yet.

* a couple of faults may still exist (agreed by Tesla service centre but later rejected as they had dried out in the heat wave), but we will see what becomes of them when the cold damp weather draws in again.

In 14 years VW ownership, we had 3 faults (parking sensor/warranty, fuel pump, thermostat) and a couple of niggles that I could ignore or fix myself. Tesla exceeded that by significant margin even before the car was handed over to us.

So I have no concern with VW.

• Like x 3
  12. Pazz

Pazz Member

When do they expect to deliver them?

For us company car owners they've arrived too late to the 0% BIK party. I'm a big VW fan, my last 5 cars being Audi's but the lack of a Supercharger related infrastructure would really concern me as I find them an absolute necessity when on long journeys in my SR+. The build quality would likely be a substantial improvement though which I've certainly been missing since taking delivery in March. I still chuckle at my panel gaps and poor paintwork.

13. Artiste

Artiste Member

VW are by no means the only company to be implicated in the emissions cheating scandal.

14. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

TSLA share price could be like a yo-yo soon. Battery day boost followed by a hit on 29 Oct when VW release interim results, assuming VW get their act tigether. VW has airfields full of IDs. When they start rolling they could quite quickly hit some big numbers.

• Like x 1
  15. john19951

john19951 Member

Problem with the ID.3 is that they wont be relasing the long range version in the first wave.

Many of the car mags think it could be end 2021 before the LR version is released in UK.

16. mrobins64495

mrobins64495 Member

Got the same email and I’d be tempted. I really like the cross over concept

17. EVMeister

EVMeister Lover of Tesla

#17 EVMeister, Jul 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    You seem to overestimate the impact that VW has or indeed will have on Tesla's share price. Tesla are supply constrained, there's plenty of room for growth in the EV market from many players. Tesla's Q3 results are likely to send shockwaves through the market regardless of what VW reports. Looking further ahead, the stock price is going to be increasingly affected by the software side and energy side of Tesla's business. Plus their larger commercial vehicles, which I'm sure will exend beyond just the Semi truck in the future. It's not much concern to Tesla or their stock price what VW is or isn't doing with the ID.3. If Tesla messes up on their own execution or targets are missed, that will negatively impact the stock price. But that does not depend on VW.

• Like x 2
  18. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Supporting Member

My first car was a VW Beetle. It had a 6V electrical system. Headlights and wipers were useless. No fuel guage either - just a reserve tank. Girlfriends parents could hear the car coming from a mile away, sadly.
    Great car. (for a 17 year old)

• Like x 3
  19. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

Anyone know what the official UK prices are going to be like and when orders will be delivered for people trying to buy now?

20. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

In the past few weeks I've just replaced the battery charger that my stepfather used with his 6v VW in the 1960s. It had a jumper plug to switch between 6v or 12v charging but in 2020 it finally gave up the ghost... I suspect if repaired it would probably do another 60 years!

• Like x 1