Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think earlier in the thread I complained about automatic headlights and wipers not working very well. I had an MCU/AP upgrade the other week, and just installed 2022.40.4.1. Last night I was driving in the dark and the rain for the first time in ages. I don't know if it's my imagination, the MCU/AP upgrade, or the new software, but the wipers actually worked properly as did the headlights. So much so that I didn't notice for the first half of the drive, which is exactly how it should be.

I mention this in the interests of acknowledging new evidence contrary to my earlier position. Hopefully they continue to just work. It has been five-and-a-half years of car ownership before it got to a satisfactory state... Hopefully the ChuckleVision/autopark situation resolves itself more quickly. In summary - it seems Tesla did get it working (which I'm pleased about) many years later.

I confirmed with Tesla today that my MYLR in white with back interior and 20” wheels and no tow bar has USS and was due to be delivered 12th Dec. The build date was 02/10/2022. I have just put my order on hold so that I don’t get that car. Would rather wait for one without USS and better cameras - hopefully this will help someone else out 👍

People are taking delivery of the first model y performances in the uk. They are coming without USS and seem to have the old cameras although it's hard to tell in the pics.

Reactions: Bal83
acknowledging new evidence

I think that it's good to acknowledge improvements, and I hope your observations are correct, but I have been duped (and installed an update) so many times when there seems to be a consensus that there is an improvement, only to find there are new bugs introduced and / or that the improvement was likely down to other factors that the update itself.

But I live in hope! For the time being my overriding concern is given the number of times and circumstances in which systems based on camera input would turn off if obscured, how will vision based / ON cope over all?

Also, if ON / VO roll-out gets closely linked to latest FSD / AP versions (that maybe fall foul of Euro / UK approval, is there a chance that Tesla get another 'get out of jail' card making reintroduction of certain features dependent on regulatory approval? Highly speculative of course, but not impossible imo.

Reactions: Boza and DeejUK
I haven't been able to get out on 2022.40.4.1 yet but I certainly noted progress on both counts with 2022.36.6

Always happy to re-evaluate my position with new evidence. Sounds really promising.
After more than three years I have also finally seen an improvent in AHB on 2022.4.1. They are still a little slow to come back on but they definitely react more quickly to oncoming cars. However, as long as they still come on in towns and cities where there is plenty of ambient light I would still regard them as not fit for purpose. And, of course, they are just bog standard auto lights, not the far more complex matrix lights. Maybe matrix will take another three years.

And the auto wipers aren’t fixed yet either. Last night I was driving on a motorway in the dark with surface spray rather than rain and the wipers were worse than useless.

• Informative
Reactions: Boza
I too have found auto high better, although still reluctant to come back on. Probably better that way than blinding oncoming traffic. I also find it gets spooked by some road sign reflections, turns them off, realises it must be its own headlights reflecting, and turns them back on. Half a mark for realising, it's just a shame it can't detect a road sign when it sees one.

Wipers - every day is different - some days you think they've cracked it, other days it is as bad as ever.

I too have found auto high better, although still reluctant to come back on. Probably better that way than blinding oncoming traffic. I also find it gets spooked by some road sign reflections, turns them off, realises it must be its own headlights reflecting, and turns them back on. Half a mark for realising, it's just a shame it can't detect a road sign when it sees one.

I never had too much of an issue with AHB (appreciate others do as is common with lack of consistency with ones Tesla experiences) except for its reluctance to turn back on in a timely manner. Not unusual to count to 3 before they came back on (after I would have turned them back on). Hopefully they will get that sorted and reduce/eliminate that delay.

Wipes, yep. We live in area with lots of overhanging trees. Awful in that situation most of the time. And recently had more experiences with dry wiping, although that was not unheard of before, just not for such long periods. Spray when overtaking was always the worst scenario. Would never trigger even if windscreen was totally covered - thankfully you can easily override that situation, unlike dry wiping which needs a dive into the settings.

Not sure I understand - do newer cars than mine not have the twisty thing on the end of the stalk to turn wipers from off, low, high, low-auto, high-auto? If you have to use the touchscreen to adjust them, that must be maddening! I may have misunderstood though.
Owners manual is a screen setting:

The button at the end of turn signal stalk has two levels. Press partially for a single wipe without any washer fluid. Press fully for both wipe and wash. You can access the wiper settings from the main Controls screen to adjust the speed of the wipers:

I - Intermittent, slow

II - Intermittent, fast

III - Continuous, slow

IIII - Continuous, fast

Not sure I understand - do newer cars than mine not have the twisty thing on the end of the stalk to turn wipers from off, low, high, low-auto, high-auto? If you have to use the touchscreen to adjust them, that must be maddening! I may have misunderstood though.
Only the X and S have that stalk control ... you lucky b*****rs!

Tesla didn't use the Mercedes parts bin for the M3 or MY. Designed their own stalks which don't have sensitivity controls for the wipers and have a low quality feel to them.

• Informative
Reactions: DeejUK
Tesla didn't use the Mercedes parts bin for the M3 or MY. Designed their own stalks which don't have sensitivity controls for the wipers and have a low quality feel to them.
To be fair they’ve accepted the horrible quality feel and decided to …. Get rid of stalks 🤣🤣🤣

I can’t help but think it’s a bit of an Emperor’s New Clothes moment for Tesla right now

With the recent deliveries it looks like lots of people still getting the ‘old’ cameras - although a few people did say they had the ‘new’ ones although not confirmed.

Who got ‘new’ ones and what were your VIN batch?

Tesla is touted as a car company that makes your car better over time as it downloads updates to improve the software.

What they don't tell you is that they make the hardware worse over time, or even non-functional. Over time the car is measurably worse. Switching off functionality I have already paid for is starting to feel like fraud.
What hardware is getting worse and how? MYP my first Tesla soon. So keen to know this. Didn’t they offer free camera upgrades to some cars?