Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just realised - removal of USS is actually a genius move by Elon to get drivers to reverse park, which is far safer for pedestrians etc and widely adopted by safety-conscious companies in the UK.
Don't see how its remotely the safer option when you cant see out of the back, unless you have ... some sensing device that works even when it's raining and the camera's covered in crud. If only there were such a device.

Reactions: H43lio
Believe I would be happy to trade my Ultrasonic Sensors for the upgraded, higher resolution, cameras. Never liked the look of those little bumper sensor circles.
No one knows if they are the "higher resolution" "5MP" cameras, but someone said it once and everyone seems to have just run with it, it's bizarre. It might just be a different lens, or a different colour profile, etc.

We're not on HW4 and I am yet to see any evidence at all that these are the 5MP cameras apparently coming from Samsung.

Reactions: Boza and MP3Mike
Cars without USS are being delivered with old style camera. Is the 5mp true or a assumption based on the Samsung supplier?

Even if new cams turn out to be native 5mp, who knows what resolution feed is going to AP system?

I think it's not obviously the case that you just feed a higher res images and everything just works.

The picture attached shows the rear camera view reversing up to out bay window. On the right there is a large plant pot. In front of the centre of the bay window is a rectangular planter which sticks out at least a foot.

How many megapixels do you think will miraculously make them visible?

BCF9BA7A-FB69-45D6-82B6-3A85DD643CE7.jpeg

PS no bullshit about frequencies please.

As it’s a static setup, depending on field of view that you reverse through, otherwise you will not be reversing correctly ;) some hint from unverified source that there is the potential to handle it by building up an occupancy ‘view’. Using multiple camera sources and using this as a persistent source with which the car can then manoeuvre through using existing sensors (possibly the ABS rotation sensors) to keep track of cars position within this space.

Of course, lots of unknowns with this, not least initial distances and whether occupancy network will get enough from other cameras, ie rear view wing cameras.

I think reversing straight into a tight space say with adjacent vehicles of various shapes will give less redundancy from side cameras making view from rear view camera more critical. A common occurabce to have poor visibility from rear camera even after a few minutes driving.

Last edited:
There is a separate thread for panicking about WBAC prices on an hourly basis here:

This thread is for telling everyone why they should really buy a Hyundai 😅
Just answering the point raised 😂

Not panicking as I do intend to keep the MY for a good 7-10 years, it should be the ideal second car once bigger and higher specced EVs start to arrive. We’ve had our current second car for over 9 years now.

Not panicking as I do intend to keep the MY for a good 7-10 years, it should be the ideal second car once bigger and higher specced EVs start to arrive. We’ve had our current second car for over 9 years now.
Agred, and that’s what we’ve done. Our 2018 Model 3 now enjoys 2nd car status as we now favor our Hyundai Ioniq5 Limited (top trim in US). The Hyundai replaced our previous 2nd car, a 2012 Nissan LEAF so we too keep our vehicles for awhile. Then there’s our 1964 Ford Thunderbird and yeah, we’ve had that a considerably longer while.

it wouldn't be a good PR for them, but if the loom would be there maybe some mechanics could do this
Unfortunately, this is the “old” thinking. With Tesla, even if you physically install the USS and plug them in the loom, the software will not support them.

It took me a while to start thinking of my car as software governed….

I think the wiring harness being present, if true, is just using up the parts bin. A retrofit would be horrendous. I also confess I had a play on the BMW configurator earlier and you couldn’t specify parking sensors on the BMW M3 touring, the option was there, but when you clicked it it popped up a message about parts. Maybe there is a worldwide shortage, of bits so Tesla opted for home brew,

• Informative
Reactions: Boza
I think the wiring harness being present, if true, is just using up the parts bin. A retrofit would be horrendous. I also confess I had a play on the BMW configurator earlier and you couldn’t specify parking sensors on the BMW M3 touring, the option was there, but when you clicked it it popped up a message about parts. Maybe there is a worldwide shortage, of bits so Tesla opted for home brew,
Interesting you say this, my friend was about to order an E Tron - Audi had a notification to say there were limitation in parts which hinder its 3D scanning software. So maybe it could have been USS?

I really doubt manufacturers take USS off their cars though

some people been reporting getting cars without the USS and still old cameras, its annoying that tesla doesn't say when they release software for parking aids
I don't think it's been formally confirmed the newer cameras are any better, just different - I've seen visual differences and a supposed production line tweet saying 5MP camera but that's it - I think it's not reasonable to expect people are able to identify a 5MP camera by an external visual appearance and possibly the rumor mill has ran away with it just like 2020.4.x update supposedly including the lost functionality.

Side by side comparisons of different looking camera hardware doesn't show any improvement. I think if they were needed for Autopilot features they would be on the new hardware - I think what this tells us is that they are not.

“Multiple cameras blocked” every morning this week as I’ve parallel parked alongside a busy road in a space just longer than the car. Tesla Vision is gonna be amazinggggggg
This is why I think they will retrofit them USS later, if in the new year they supply USS on Model Y's they'll be a huge uproar. Someone has posted about the looms being present. Unless theres some software magic we've not seen yet.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
I know Elon promised the car would drive itself any time, amy where, in any conditions, but that’s just fantasy at present. I just don’t expect that and people who do will be disappointed for a long time. What I expect is that the car will drive itself with 99.9999% accuracy, safely and smoothly for long durations in good conditions and that I know what those conditions are. I don’t expect it to drive with mud covering the cameras; that’s just silly. And I don’t expect it to drive in a blizzard; I won’t drive in a blizzard. And if it can’t drive in a hard rain or foggy conditions, then I’ll just have to do the driving in those situations. But if it can drive well most of the time, I’d be super happy. It doesn’t yet. I don’t think any other car does either. Will TV get us to that standard? I think so. Will radar/LiDAR/USS on other vehicles? Probably. Which will get there sooner? Which will be able to handle more conditions? No idea. Which combination of which conditions and how soon it arrives, is a matter of personal preference. As someone who lives on CA, I could care less if the car can drive in the rain. I’ll do the driving in those conditions. If you live in the UK, maybe a car with radar/LiDAR/USS will satisfy your needs sooner than one without.

“Multiple cameras blocked” every morning this week as I’ve parallel parked alongside a busy road in a space just longer than the car. Tesla Vision is gonna be amazinggggggg
I get that for the pillar cameras often in winter.

The repeater and back cameras don't seem to have that issue though for me, which as I understand it should the source video for replacing USS in new vehicles, so that should not be a prohibitor to getting it to work.

Would be good if they have also solved that pillar camera issue on new builds too though.

The picture attached shows the rear camera view reversing up to out bay window. On the right there is a large plant pot. In front of the centre of the bay window is a rectangular planter which sticks out at least a foot.

View attachment 880191

PS no bullshit about frequencies please.
I guess the only clues we have to go on so far are the published demos of the occupancy network, which we have seen in both FSD and Optimus thus far.

Maybe I'm the optimist in the room, but i very much doubt it would have an issue with detecting bay window and pot.

A tweak they may employ is to use more compute / higher resolution on occupancy network at low speeds and when reversing to deal with these finer details.