Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Just found this on web. Are they adding sensors back?

“Essentially, this new device appears to be the standard form of automotive radar that you see in every company’s adaptive cruise control system. It’s not immediately clear what Tesla will bring to the table with this new addition to its cars, beyond the inherent benefits of a radar-based system.”

Surely not going back to the way the damn legacy manufacturers do things 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Well, that’s music and nav sorted - I’m talking about the bits that operate the car not the infotainment.
Well I get by with Tesla’s ropey UI and poorly functioning software, I’m sure I’d find a way to manage with Skoda’s. FWIW in a few hours of extended test drive in the Enyaq, I had zero issues and zero confusion - it was all straightforward and worked.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Well I get by with Tesla’s ropey UI and poorly functioning software, I’m sure I’d find a way to manage with Skoda’s. FWIW in a few hours of extended test drive in the Enyaq, I had zero issues and zero confusion - it was all straightforward and worked.
Well I’m currently on the other side and from my perspective the grass isn’t greener.

Car with dealer for 2 days for a mandatory software update.

Issues with EV software asking for an oil change.

Poor Bluetooth connectivity.

Poor app/non-functional app connectivity.

I’ll be able to give a better verdict when my Tesla arrives.

Well I’m currently on the other side and from my perspective the grass isn’t greener.

That is awful! What car are you running?

Who cares? The only features that matter on a car are auto wipers and headlights and parking sensors, this forum has been very clear on that.

Not only does your car have those but because you’re driving any vehicle other than a Tesla they are certain to function absolutely flawlessly in all conditions. You’re so lucky!

/end sarcasm

This was the view from the rear camera after my morning commute.
Obviously I have the rear view mirror but the USS were really helpful and I doubt that a vision-only solution would be very useful….

Attachments

• DD85A934-13DC-4B61-A566-1E044BCA2762.jpeg
    DD85A934-13DC-4B61-A566-1E044BCA2762.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 92
Who cares? The only features that matter on a car are auto wipers and headlights and parking sensors, this forum has been very clear on that.

Not only does your car have those but because you’re driving any vehicle other than a Tesla they are certain to function absolutely flawlessly in all conditions. You’re so lucky!

/end sarcasm
I know you’re being sarcastic, but as you know it’s the complete opposite. Tesla’s are the most amazing EVs on the road. The Musk personally invented the battery and the electric motor. In fact he invented the damn wheel. All the competition is crap and Tesla are so incredibly advanced that every other manufacturer is at least 10 years behind. With my reverse crystal ball I can see that Tesla had FSD sorted by the end of 2019 (as promised by Musk) and there were a million robotaxis on the road by the end of 2020 (again as promised by Musk).

Happy days 🤣

This was the view from the rear camera after my morning commute.
Obviously I have the rear view mirror but the USS were really helpful and I doubt that a vision-only solution would be very useful….
Hopefully, in that situation, if car was without USS, it could cope with using side repeater cameras and apparently wheel rotation sensors to get an accurate indication of distance to a flat seemingly featureless wall. My concern is if you were parking between two vehicles where view of wall is heavily obscured and also Teslas definition of accuracy and whether it is enough to cope with the level of accuracy that these sorts of manoeuvres often require.

Hopefully, in that situation, if car was without USS, it could cope with using side repeater cameras and apparently wheel rotation sensors to get an accurate indication of distance to a flat seemingly featureless wall. My concern is if you were parking between two vehicles where view of wall is heavily obscured and also Teslas definition of accuracy and whether it is enough to cope with the level of accuracy that these sorts of manoeuvres often require.
That’s interesting, I didn’t know (but should have suspected) that it’d use the side cameras as well….
I am looking forward to see how Tesla Vision develops (from the comfort of my USS-equiped car)

Last edited:
That’s interesting, I didn’t know (but should have suspected) that it’d use the side cameras as well….

I assume that they do as all cameras contribute to the occupancy network which is what the USS replacement apparently uses, along with wheel rotation sensors.

But how it would work when other cameras have limited view will be interesting to see. I cannot honestly see how they can be much good if, using your image as an example, cars are obscuring the side views within a few inches of the white lines on the floor.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
That is awful! What car are you running?
E-Tron 55 and Golf E-TSI (not an ev) most of the issues are with the E-Tron.

Both great cars but not perfect and enough daily minor frustrations to sour me on the software.

The matrix headlights on the etron however do work flawlessly and are a massive bright spot.

I also have insider knowledge that majority of complaints for VWG cars surround software issues just behind complaints about order delays.

This truly is the worst thread on the Internet. Congrats to all involved 😅
There are precisely two useful facts in the 62 pages of this thread:
1) Yes, Tesla really did follow through on removing the USS and current new cars have no parking functionality. (Old news now, but useful confirmation at the time)
2) There's some evidence in the code that they are working towards replacing the function, but no idea when that would be or how well it would work.

That's it, and neither of those things really tell us anything that Tesla didn't say themselves in the original announcement.

Reactions: WKUK
That includes you now.
I must admit I sometimes wonder if people know what discussion forums actually are!

Lots of feedback now on what life is like without USS from the recent deliveries and it'll take some getting used to and is particularly a problem parking forwards or at night - I don't think we'll ever get back the same functionality we had before but hopefully something reasonably close.