Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can make a reasonable judgement based on Tesla’s past record, and their record is one of broken promises and missed timelines again and again and again. With Tesla it’s always the next hardware suite or the new “stack” that’s going to deliver the universe. Now DoJo andAI are going to solve everything. I have grown somewhat cynical after spending years listening to the Muskovite spouting complete crap.
Call me an old cynic - but it feels like Musk used cars and the revenue they bring in order to develop AI - but not car AI per se, just AI in general.

The car is a convenient way of rewarding early investors in his AI grand project - "pay me £60k to help develop AI, and you get this £30k car free as a gesture of goodwill. PS, there is no return on investment of your original £60k...."

not quite right, since 2020 (I got mine the same time) we have seen improvements:

• Speed limit sign recognition
  • traffic light recognition

We have also seen things taken away such as automatic exit on highways, but that has been by UNECE, so not fault of Tesla.
That's fantastic! Tech that has been around for years, and is soon to be mandated for all cars in the EU - go Elon!

It may be too simplistic but if Tesla cannot solve a simple problem like auto wipers and auto high beams (something that the industry had solved decades ago) then I do not have high expectations of the magical “new stack”. Frankly, I could care less about any AI that they work on. I wanted an awesome EV and that is what I got. Now, unfortunately, that AI experimentation is ruining my awesome EV experience. I bet that more people buy for the EV part than for the AI part. They are at a very different stage of maturity, appealing to (mostly) different markets and they should be unbundled.
There are people who would gladly experiment with Tesla Vision, FSDb, etc. Happy for those first adopters - we need them on the cutting edge of progress. As it relates to cars, however, I prefer “tried and true” radar, USS, classic rain sensor for wipers, etc. I need a tool and I am not a beta tester. Most of the customers are probably of a similar mind set and cope with the AI craziness because of the great EV experience. However, the competition is coming and that balance will shift.
Spot on.

I am a "late" adopter. I expected a car with the niggles worked out after 10 years of development, not a relatively primitive technological offering with really infuriating alpha level software. I have no desire to be taking part in an experiment. As Tesla wishes to move to becoming a volume manufacturer,, the voices of the people who want to be at the cutting edge will soon be drowned out by the much louder chorus of criticism by people like me who just want an EV that works. It feels like Tesla has peaked, as the many hundreds of thousands of late adopters soon come to realise there are far better vehicles out there produced by manufacturers who could give a *sugar* about their customers.

Reactions: Boza
not quite right, since 2020 (I got mine the same time) we have seen improvements:

We have also seen things taken away such as automatic exit on highways, but that has been by UNECE, so not fault of Tesla.
That leaves me completely underwhelmed. Other makes of cars have had speed limit sign recognition for many years, so Tesla are VERY late to the party.

I really can’t see the point of traffic light recognition, especially the beep for a green light. It’s too slow and I’ve always well pulled away before it activates. I think it would only be useful for those moronic imbeciles who look at their mobile phones while stationary at traffic lights.

I’ve had my car with FSD for more than three years and have seen absolutely no meaningful progress in that time. Nor do I expect to see progress anytime soon.

Of the two, the former isn't even a EAP/FSD feature and the latter (formerly FSD only, now in EAP) is pretty much useless. "Traffic light stop and go" will attempt to stop for green lights unless you override it - why? Why can't it just stop when it sees amber and go when it sees green? If that's the level of intelligence we can expect then God help us.

There's been zero progress in any EAP/FSD feature. If that's the "fault" of the new stack consuming all of the development attention, and the old stack we're on was obsolete on day one - I'd like to have known that instead of being given contuned hollow promises. I'm confident I won't see "the new stack" on my car before I've sold it.

That leaves me completely underwhelmed. Other makes of cars have had speed limit sign recognition for many years, so Tesla are VERY late to the party.

I really can’t see the point of traffic light recognition, especially the beep for a green light. It’s too slow and I’ve always well pulled away before it activates. I think it would only be useful for those moronic imbeciles who look at their mobile phones while stationary at traffic lights.

I’ve had my car with FSD for more than three years and have seen absolutely no meaningful progress in that time. Nor do I expect to see progress anytime soon.
Like everything else Tesla - a good idea ruined by really rubbish implementation. And the fanboys lap it up. The same people, no doubt, that love showing off driving across maps of Mars or the latest fart noise.

Reactions: Dilly and Durzel
Indeed. IIRC there was a patent issue which Tesla had to design around before they could implement it, which may explain some of the delay.

It’s too slow and I’ve always well pulled away before it activates.
in mine it activates within a fraction of a second of light turning green. seems fine to me, unless you are pulling away on the yellow?

I really can’t see the point of traffic light recognition, especially the beep for a green light
depends on how much you use autopilot I guess. for me, I file this under the "nice to have" but not "essential" features at the current time! when autopilot can handle city streets better in future builds then it will of course become increasingly more useful.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro

Good grief, is that it? I knew progress has been minimal but I didn’t realise it was this bad.

I posted on the 36.x discussion earlier that for the first time during ownership my wipers were awful last night.
I was on a dark country B road, blinded by rain, could barely see where I was going at 10 mph and faffing about on the screen trying switch to full speed wipers. I hadn’t realised what a nightmare that would be. I now understand what a lot of you go through.
Its just as well there is button on a stalk!

• Informative
Reactions: Boza
Indeed. IIRC there was a patent issue which Tesla had to design around before they could implement it, which may explain some of the delay.

in mine it activates within a fraction of a second of light turning green. seems fine to me, unless you are pulling away on the yellow?

depends on how much you use autopilot I guess. for me, I file this under the "nice to have" but not "essential" features at the current time! when autopilot can handle city streets better in future builds then it will of course become increasingly more useful.
"Future builds...." I take it you are very young then.....

I'm confident I won't see "the new stack" on my car before I've sold it.
caveat emptor.

For me, I purchased my M3 not expecting full FSD in the timeframe of my ownership, but purchased FSD instead to enjoy the journey, and have also ordered it for my next Tesla.

Unlike many here in this thread, my main frustration is a regulatory one rather than one aimed at Tesla.

"Traffic light stop and go" will attempt to stop for green lights unless you override it - why? Why can't it just stop when it sees amber and go when it sees green? If that's the level of intelligence we can expect then God help us.
IIRC this again is a regulatory requirement currently. The car sees (most of the time!) the correct colour lights (although never shows red + amber at same time), but will always need a confirmation to pass any light

• Disagree
Reactions: CWT3LR and KennethS
caveat emptor.

For me, I purchased my M3 not expecting full FSD in the timeframe of my ownership, but purchased FSD instead to enjoy the journey, and have also ordered it for my next Tesla.

Unlike many here in this thread, my main frustration is a regulatory one rather than one aimed at Tesla.

IIRC this again is a regulatory requirement currently. The car sees (most of the time!) the correct colour lights (although never shows red + amber at same time), but will always need a confirmation to pass any light
What is this journey you speak of? Donating £5,800 (£6800 now) to a $700m+ market cap company?

What does that even mean? You could enjoy the journey - which apparently means salivating whist watching FSD beta videos of drivers in a completely different country actually enjoying something that they paid for - without having spent that money. YouTube is free to use.

The more you talk about this the more you appear to be a zealot about this stuff, to be honest.

As I've previously said - you can't just lay all of this at the UNECE's door, as much as Tesla and other fanatics might want you to. You're just giving Tesla an out to take your money and give nothing substantial in return, except dreams, and be happy about that... It's surreal.

Tesla could do a hell of a lot more with the car in Europe, but choose not to, concentrating entirely on the American market. They could have given us a build of FSD beta (ala the new stack) a long time ago, with the self-drive aspects disabled, but haven't. They could have done something with the matrix headlights that have been standard fit since the start of 2021 (or earlier), but haven't. And so on.

Other cars exist which you can buy today that do fully remote summon and parking, and emulate or surpass Autopilot capabilities, or just do it more reliably (i.e. no phantom braking, etc).

You're giving Tesla so much latitude purely on the strength of other customer experiences in a completely different country.

I didn't pay full price for my car to beg for scraps from the table, and that's what it feels like in terms of FSD functionality improvements over here.

What is this journey you speak of? Donating £5,800 (£6800 now) to a $700m+ market cap company?

What does that even mean? You could enjoy the journey - which apparently means salivating whist watching FSD beta videos of drivers in a completely different country actually enjoying something that they paid for - without having spent that money. YouTube is free to use.

The more you talk about this the more you appear to be a zealot about this stuff, to be honest.

As I've previously said - you can't just lay all of this at the UNECE's door, as much as Tesla and other fanatics might want you to. You're just giving Tesla an out to take your money and give nothing substantial in return, except dreams, and be happy about that... It's surreal.

Tesla could do a hell of a lot more with the car in Europe, but choose not to, concentrating entirely on the American market. They could have given us a build of FSD beta (ala the new stack) a long time ago, with the self-drive aspects disabled, but haven't. They could have done something with the matrix headlights that have been standard fit since the start of 2021 (or earlier), but haven't. And so on.

Other cars exist which you can buy today that do fully remote summon and parking, and emulate or surpass Autopilot capabilities, or just do it more reliably (i.e. no phantom braking, etc).

You're giving Tesla so much latitude purely on the strength of other customer experiences in a completely different country.

I didn't pay full price for my car to beg for scraps from the table, and that's what it feels like in terms of FSD functionality improvements over here.
No need to be rude.

I could afford to pay and was happy to pay, and have done so again.

It’s up to you what you do. Seems you’re getting stressed out by this. Just get a different car next time and chill.

Reactions: Durzel and KennethS