Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s a good example of how excellent Tesla Vision is…
This morning, early. The message says vision too poor for
FE94C4BE-EB95-4B37-A7CF-7D06C3062F32.jpeg
autopilot so speed reduced. Judge for yourselves how well this will park…

… cherry pick just a few cherries and leave the rest.

Like the charging network.

Superchargers were a fantastic confidence boost and advert for the brand a few years ago but if my experience is anything to go by major investment is needed. I’ve done 1000 miles this week and I’m beginning to see more and more greyed out for being full - Leicester, most of Reading virtually all the time - and yesterday got the “diverting to a less busy supercharger” message which is great tech solution … but not a real world answer when it’s basically taking you in the wrong direction.
Today at Membury westbound I arrived at 1900 with just two spaces free and left with three cars waiting: one guy doing the decent thing in the bays across the way (and he arrived first, just after me), one hogging the way in and another actually parked waiting across the bays so they blocked anyone leaving.
It’s going to be absolute chaos very quickly, word will get around, and I confidently predict a huge panic buy of ICE hybrids as 2030 gets closer.
Bold experiment. Not working.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday and CWT3LR
"Tesla’s third-largest shareholder tweeted that Musk had “abandoned Tesla” and that the company “has no working CEO""

Rolling stone isn't my usual source but.. Elon Musk Is Dumping Billions in Tesla Stock

TBH given what happens when he's around I'm more optimistic about the next few software releases if he's not paying attention.. Maybe they'll even get the time to test things..
Be careful what you post here. He has just banned a dozen respected journalists from Twitter for having the temerity to be mildly critical of him.

I used to enthuse about my Tesla to my family and friends but after the last few updates not any more. On the drive to work this morning multiple cameras blocked and Autopilot kept reducing speed due to visibility. Due to the spray and the dirt on the roads the reversing camera was useless when parking. The removal of radar and USS baffles me. I can only think that Tesla have completely bailed on FSD for this generation of technology and are now trying to make the cars as cheaply as possible. Compared to my last car most of the driving technology is now worse.

Superchargers were a fantastic confidence boost and advert for the brand a few years ago but if my experience is anything to go by major investment is needed. I’ve done 1000 miles this week and I’m beginning to see more and more greyed out for being full - Leicester, most of Reading virtually all the time - and yesterday got the “diverting to a less busy supercharger” message which is great tech solution … but not a real world answer when it’s basically taking you in the wrong direction.
Today at Membury westbound I arrived at 1900 with just two spaces free and left with three cars waiting: one guy doing the decent thing in the bays across the way (and he arrived first, just after me), one hogging the way in and another actually parked waiting across the bays so they blocked anyone leaving.
It’s going to be absolute chaos very quickly, word will get around, and I confidently predict a huge panic buy of ICE hybrids as 2030 gets closer.
Bold experiment. Not working.
This is interesting. Pretty much my experience during the summer school holidays last year. I’m lucky I don’t routinely drive long distances. Things are very different now to when I first had a model 3 in 2019. I don’t think I will go for a third Tesla now…. Regarding the removal of USS, I’m quite surprised that so many on here are happy to ‘manage’ without them. Until that one time they don’t see the low wall etc.

the “diverting to a less busy supercharger” message

The rerouting based on supercharger availability is another of those things that seems great and does have some merits, but also has drawbacks. Doe it take account of tolls on the reroute? And traffic conditions if you don't have Premium? (or even if you do!) Also, does the back end count up how many diverts it has actioned, and if those cars followed the reroute? I can imagine arriving at site 2 along with others rerouted just as site 1 frees up.

predict a huge panic buy of ICE hybrids

For long distances, you need dependable charging infrastructure and yes, a few years back the norm was banks of empty chargers. Clearly that was never sustainable but I would still say this is an area in which Tesla has done better than they often get credit for. They have pushed the charge rate of batteries pretty hard and developed systems (like preheating) that, while having energy efficiency and potential longevity costs, also allow faster charging allowing optimised use of charging stations.

Last edited:
I’d argue for long distances you also need reliable destination charging, which in the main is wholly lacking where it really counts.

A lot of rapid charging sessions would be negated by good destination charging. I’d cut my super charger usage by 50% if there were AC chargers remotely close to my destination.

There are so many instances of the wrong charger in the wrong place these days. If random rapid chargers at ikea are not the classic example of the wrong charger in the wrong place then I don’t know what is.

It should be a huge bank of 7kw or 11kw ac chargers (not 22kw unless they load balance, hardly any cars can take it and it’s better to have 2-3x the number of plugs available).

rapid charging sessions would be negated by good destination charging.

I agree and certainly make an effort to book destination chargers when available as it is better for me and the car. However, the old days of hotels having a few free to use Tesla AC chargers are probably numbered.

That said, especially in the UK where journeys are not usually as long as seem common in the US, I'd say that destinations could really attract guests by offering guaranteed 7kw charging points.

Last edited:
How useful in reality are the latest USS on recent UK cars? On my 2019 S if I'm honest they are not very good, and certainly worse than previous cars from other manufacturers.

Mine seem to only measure down to around 10 to 12 inches, then tell STOP! so the fine manoeuvring is left to your 6th sense and guts. Also, the MS usually yells STOP a second or so after I've passed the point of closest proximity. While other cars now often have USS all around the car, mine is just back and front so I still have to check visually for bollards or posts to either side.

In comparison my Kona seems accurate to within around 6" and at that point I don't want to get any closer.

If Tesla's objective is to use vision to give a warning with say 12" minimum distance, then accepting the limitation of cameras in general, may be that is doable

I agree and certainly make an effort to book destination chargers as it is better for me and the car. However, the old days of hotels having a few free to use Tesla AC chargers are probably numbered.
I’d prefer them not to be free so they are not hogged by people that don’t need them.

How useful in reality are the latest USS on recent UK cars?

They are useful but they do have practical limitations as the cone is relatively narrow.

They will not pick up anything that is too low but still high enough to impact the bumper.

They will not pick something up that is too narrow and falls between the sensors, this gets worse as you get closer.

They are in the corners but not down the sides so if any fixed obstacles jump into the side of your car, they’ll not see them.

Front parking sensor can be a bit annoying in traffic, constantly bonging away as you start and stop.

So yeh, they are very much an aid but not to be relied upon at all.

Also I’m not too worried about the 12” thing, if you are parking, you’ll not be able to get into the boot if you are much closer. That will be why they say stop at 12” on the UI, they’ll still be working as you get closer, it’s just a UI thing. But yes, the font camera should be able to pick up all but the lowest objects from a foot away.

Judging where the front of the car ends is the easy end to deal with, you really don’t need to be able to see exactly where it ends from the drivers seat to do that.

When you can’t really see out the back and you are using mirrors which distort distances, it’s not as easy which is where parking aids and cameras come into their own. Neither is infallible as we know and shouldn’t be relied upon but the more options you have, the better.

The rerouting based on supercharger availability is another of those things that seems great and does have some merits, but also has drawbacks. Doe it take account of tolls on the reroute? And traffic conditions if you don't have Premium? (or even if you do!)
Routing is the same irrespective of whether you have premium. Both will take account of traffic. The only difference is premium displays the traffic info on the screen and non premium does not.

• Informative
Reactions: Battpower
Routing is the same irrespective of whether you have premium. Both will take account of traffic. The only difference is premium displays the traffic info on the screen and non premium does not.

The one time I've been rerouted for busy charger, we ignored it. We arrived at the supercharger site we were told had a long wait (Membury Services Westbound) to find more than 50% of chargers available. It would have wasted a huge amount of time and energy to do what the car said (go to the next junction and head back to the Eastbound services).

Reactions: Battpower
The one time I've been rerouted for busy charger, we ignored it. We arrived at the supercharger site we were told had a long wait (Membury Services Westbound) to find more than 50% of chargers available. It would have wasted a huge amount of time and energy to do what the car said (go to the next junction and head back to the Eastbound services).
Same for me a couple of days ago. Saved me a toll fee into the bargain by not accepting the reroute. When I arrived at the charger I originally selected and was advised to divert from, there were 50% stalls available.

I have not had this but I have been routed to a charger on several occasions almost at the start of my journey presumably since it was empty in the anticipation ( by the car) of needing to charge at some point in the journey. On the last two occasions I ignored it and as the day warmed up the wh/m went down and I made it home with 15% and 6% respectively without a stop at all.
Used to be that it always routed you to chargers when your battery was low but, probably due to demand management , it seems to be increasingly asking me to charge far earlier in my journey than I would expect. Often when I have barely set off and, as it turns out, when I did not need to charge at all.
On the last occasion, to be fair , it was right the chargers at Rugby were full when I got there but by that point it was apparent I could just about make it home anyway

Does the rear camera needing to be exposed to the elements when driving along? ... If not it could have a wee shutter that opens when the camera is in use but closes to keep it clean when on the move. (Maybe it has a use in FSD where the car has to judge moving lanes but I can't think it does anything for standard Autopilot ... but I could be wrong ...)

Reactions: pow216 and Danzr