Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming to the thread late and this may have been covered but here's my tuppence
Vision alone as envisaged by musk won't succeed. Cameras do not need to be very high res in order to be able to pick out the data they need to work. See augmented reality tech, which worked effectively on cameras from over ten years ago.
That said, better cameras do allow tesla to pick out more data, unfortunately this means the cars need far better processors in order to process that data. I think the latest S and X would be good enough for that but not legacy vehicles.
The second issue is that the cars to not have enough cameras to cover all the way around the car.. Or they are placed in areas in which they can get dirty and prevent proper functionality.

To get true self driving I think we need a mix of cameras, lidar and radar and it won't be 100% safe until every vehicle on the road has the relevant tech.... Think minority report and how those vehicles worked. Each car knowing we're everyone else is.. Meaning no accidents. Its a long way off. At least twenty years. This doesn't mean musk etc shouldn't be trying, we have to start somewhere, but he needs to stop promising pie in the sky dates and stop referring it as FSD.

That said, better cameras do allow tesla to pick out more data, unfortunately this means the cars need far better processors in order to process that data. I think the latest S and X would be good enough for that but not legacy vehicles.
S/X/3/Y all have exactly the same processor for Vision.

Rumour is new hardware, higher definition cameras and possibly HD radar are forthcoming. We shall see.

It will be interesting to find out if that new hardware will be necessary for the FSD to work (whatever that means). I have a feeling that there will be different FSD for different batches of cars so that Tesla will avoid retrofitting the existing fleet while delivering (something like) FSD.

Hi all.

Apologies in advance - complete novice here. First time posting on the forum and first time Tesla owner.

I picked up my 2022 Model Y Performance today and I don’t know if I’m missing something but does this not have any parking sensors?! The camera comes on when it’s in reverse but no beeping when I get close to an object on the rear or front.

I know the ultrasonic sensors were removed but shouldn’t the camera then at least let me know when I’m getting too close to something? I have a tight driveway and used to rely on sensors so I could back right up to the wall.

Can someone let me know if this feature exists or is being implemented at any point? FYI I haven’t got the enhanced autopilot option.

Reactions: adsheff
A lovely long thread on the subject here

Not an expert on the comings and goings of features, but 2 things jump to mind:
1) software replacement has been promised. How believable this is varies from person to person. My wipers and auto full beams are pretty decent, lots of others find them complete failures.
2) on your rear view camera, swipe up to add the side cameras to the view, I find they help with alignment in tight spaces.

OTOH, removing the sensors seems like a poor choice and right now I think you are right to be at least slightly annoyed.

Reactions: adsheff and CWT3LR
A Google search would have revealed all you needed to know on this. Or there is a convenient search button at the top of the forum.

Apologies but this is actually the first time I’m ever using a forum. In fact I’m a first time internet user. Come to think of it I think this is the first time I’ve ever held/used an electronic device.

Apologies but this is actually the first time I’m ever using a forum. In fact I’m a first time internet user. Come to think of it I think this is the first time I’ve ever held/used an electronic device.
Well, welcome to a Brave New World then!

As you now own an "iPad on wheels" you will have a sharp learning curve :)
(some of which will be fun)

Reactions: adsheff and boombap