Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A typical view from my rear camera following a trip down the M40 in winter. Good luck with that Tesla Vision.

View attachment 899159

Lets add some further perspective to that

1674639592428.png

Reactions: CWT3LR
I took delivery of my Model Y Long Range in Dec 2022 and made a nice small dent/scratch on the rear bumper while backing up. I have ordered aftermarket rear/front parking sensors which will be installed soon. I can’t keep on waiting for the Tesla vision.
If it were that important perhaps you shouldn't have taken delivery of the car? (for what it's worth I think it's a ridiculous state of affairs, but people who accepted the car regardless are not blameless).

Imagine buying a £50k+ car and then hacking parking sensors into it like it's a car from the late 90s. :(

Reactions: Ratch and Boza
No, because you're always responsible for making sure the rear is clear even with USS. USS for example won't see a cone or pole if it's right in the middle of the bumper.
Feck me, is this thread still going? Knocking on TWO THOUSAND posts of salty rage tears from people that have no interest in thinking this problem through. You're fighting a valiant fight but my advice is to hit that unwatch button.

zGHQb4O.gif

No it doesn't. USS has no memory so can't tell if something is moving into the path of the car and has a very short range.

I can be paying attention while parking and spot people/things moving in the periphery. And I'm usually aware of the main obstacles as I'll have observed them with my eye sensors approaching the parking spot too, so mainly just need to know how far away the corners are which I can't easily see due to large pillars and high glass of modern cars. This additional small but important benefit of inexpensive sensors to provide feedback on distance for those corners I can't see.

Reactions: H43lio and CWT3LR
I can be paying attention while parking and spot people/things moving in the periphery. And I'm usually aware of the main obstacles as I'll have observed them with my eye sensors approaching the parking spot too, so mainly just need to know how far away the corners are which I can't easily see due to large pillars and high glass of modern cars. This additional small but important benefit of inexpensive sensors to provide feedback on distance for those corners I can't see.
Interesting you should mention distance. I parked my car 19 inches away from another car one evening last week. When I started the car the next morning it was 17 inches away from the car behind. Neither car had moved overnight.

Nothing to do with “low speed recreation”. It already does that when displaying cars around you when in slow moving traffic or waiting for a traffic light.

The system can recognise traffic lights, others cars, cones, etc. What it now needs to recognise/display is walls and other obstacles.

Since the radar got switched off, it thinks the wall on our drive is now a lorry. It just needs to be retrained that there’s now things like walls…
like that every time at mcdonalds drive through when it thinks that the wall on the right of my car is a truck?!

No it doesn't. USS has no memory so can't tell if something is moving into the path of the car and has a very short range.
“The new occupancy network doesn't care what the objects are. It just needs to know if that point in space (and time) is occupied by something.”

That is exactly what the USS does - it tells you if that space and time is occupied by something, regardless of what it is. It does it reliably now for $8 or it may, eventually, potentially do it in the future using some very complex approach that involves memory and some sort of AI.

And we all thought Audi was over engineered …

Reactions: H43lio and CWT3LR
Feck me, is this thread still going? Knocking on TWO THOUSAND posts of salty rage tears from people that have no interest in thinking this problem through. You're fighting a valiant fight but my advice is to hit that unwatch button.

zGHQb4O.gif
How are we supposed to think this problem through? Tesla have removed a very useful feature and have not replaced it with anything. There is no timeline as to when vision might be implemented. There is no guarantee that it will work effectively, and given Tesla’s past history it probably won’t. But hey, Tesla is beyond criticism, especially as anyone who has the temerity to criticise is a hater.

Of course, you won’t see my reply because you’ve hit the unwatch button 😂

Well it’s very decent of you to contribute something useful to this thread you despise so much.
I did contribute quite a few posts attempting to discuss the pros and cons of the vision based approach vs USS, and how it might work based on the published information about the occupancy network/TV technology, Tesla's motivations for making this change, possible explanations for the odd timing relative to the replacement tech being available, etc.

I lost interest when it became clear that most people on this thread are here to wallow in their self-righteous rage and have no interest in discussing anything more sophisticated than 'LOOOL! Camra derty!' on a loop.

How are we supposed to think this problem through? Tesla have removed a very useful feature and have not replaced it with anything. There is no timeline as to when vision might be implemented. There is no guarantee that it will work effectively, and given Tesla’s past history it probably won’t. But hey, Tesla is beyond criticism, especially as anyone who has the temerity to criticise is a hater.

Of course, you won’t see my reply because you’ve hit the unwatch button 😂
You still get notifications about replies that quote your posts even if you unwatch.

You have to stop saying my name and then I won't appear anymore, like the Candyman.

“The new occupancy network doesn't care what the objects are. It just needs to know if that point in space (and time) is occupied by something.”

That is exactly what the USS does - it tells you if that space and time is occupied by something, regardless of what it is. It does it reliably now for $8 or it may, eventually, potentially do it in the future using some very complex approach that involves memory and some sort of AI.

And we all thought Audi was over engineered …
Like auto wipers it will be an overengineered camera/AI based system that after many months barely rises to parity (in ideal conditions) with a $5 Bosch rain sensor.

At least with auto wipers it's just annoying if it dry wipes or doesn't deal with drizzle quickly enough, an unreliable USS substitute might seem great until that time when it's not and you drive into something, at which point you can never trust it again.

Reactions: yessuz