Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(UK) - INSURANCE for company policy - ouch!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - has anyone here (in the UK) tried adding a MX to their fleet policy? I'm collecting my Model X this Saturday and my business fleet insurers (AXA) have a decent premium BUT a £2,500 excess even for the windscreen!

Direct Line (as recommended by Tesla) won't cover a business-owned vehicle, and neither will most of the others including electric-only insurers.

I'm not looking for anything fancy; 2 names drivers (my wife and I), 5-years no claims, fully comp, 10,000 miles per year for business use (to and from appointments) and commuting as well as SD&P . It'll be garaged overnight at my home which has CCTV inside the garage and outside the home, a monitored alarm system and electric gates - it's about as secure as I can make it short of employing a security guard with highly trained dogs and a firearms license!

Has anyone managed to get cover on a fleet policy without daft premiums or excessive excesses (mouthful)?

I expected most Tesla's being owned by businesses due to them being tax-deductible, so I was (am) very surprised that the fleet insurers seem to turn their back on them.

Any ideas? Tesla offered some links but they're all no-go...

Hi - has anyone here (in the UK) tried adding a MX to their fleet policy? I'm collecting my Model X this Saturday and my business fleet insurers (AXA) have a decent premium BUT a £2,500 excess even for the windscreen!

Direct Line (as recommended by Tesla) won't cover a business-owned vehicle, and neither will most of the others including electric-only insurers.

I'm not looking for anything fancy; 2 names drivers (my wife and I), 5-years no claims, fully comp, 10,000 miles per year for business use (to and from appointments) and commuting as well as SD&P . It'll be garaged overnight at my home which has CCTV inside the garage and outside the home, a monitored alarm system and electric gates - it's about as secure as I can make it short of employing a security guard with highly trained dogs and a firearms license!

Has anyone managed to get cover on a fleet policy without daft premiums or excessive excesses (mouthful)?

I expected most Tesla's being owned by businesses due to them being tax-deductible, so I was (am) very surprised that the fleet insurers seem to turn their back on them.

Any ideas? Tesla offered some links but they're all no-go...
Hi Hubster

I've just added my new Model X added to our fleet policy. Broker Towergate, insurer AIG. Policy covers all drivers over 30 with min 2 years full UK driving license. Premium is high at £1700, with an excess of £1000 for accidental damage, fire & theft. They also asked for a tracker, but when I told them the Tesla has GPS and App tracking they said OK. I didn't look around, we're tied into this insurer until next year anyway.

BTW where are you collecting from? I'm also picking up my MX this Saturday from Dartford.

Hi Hubster

I've just added my new Model X added to our fleet policy. Broker Towergate, insurer AIG. Policy covers all drivers over 30 with min 2 years full UK driving license. Premium is high at £1700, with an excess of £1000 for accidental damage, fire & theft. They also asked for a tracker, but when I told them the Tesla has GPS and App tracking they said OK. I didn't look around, we're tied into this insurer until next year anyway.

BTW where are you collecting from? I'm also picking up my MX this Saturday from Dartford.

Hi SamUK.

I’m collecting from Milton Keynes - it was brought forward to today from Monday which is far more convenient given MK is an hour and a half away from the office!

I’ve managed to get a quote from LV (separate policy, which I didn’t really want to do); I will speak to my broker though re AIG.

It’s just too tricky to consider changing insurers purely because of the Tesla excess, but it did annoy me given our claims history and all the vehicles currently insured. My broker is an frustrated as I am as I think he can see more and more issues like this arising. AXA wouldn’t budge one bit (same as your policy though, but £1300-ish with £2500 excess; drivers over 30 with minimum theee years driving and tracker).

I think a Lambo would be less!

When company car I had mine on NFU but I think they only do renewals now and not writing new business. Exess £250.
Might be worth a try.

The recent spate of thefts plus sky high repair costs coupled with Tesla controlled repairers (so less chance of kickbacks) don't help.

Reactions: Hubster