Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Insurers who allow wrapping...who do you use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can confirm Novo are fine with PPF. Don't know about full colour wraps though.

I think expecting a "high street" insurance company like Direct Line to do bespoke policy features is probably not going to happen. If you have a conversation about PPF with them they'll just say "computer says no", and if you don't tell them at all they could - with some legitimacy I would think - claim it was a modifcation/material fact that was not disclosed, and attempt to disclaim liability in the event of a claim.

This has been worrying me for some time and I just got around to web chatting with DL.

They've noted the addition of PPF and Dechrome on my car as 'decals/stickers' added. No increase to premium, no charge to update the policy and they're sending the updated policy out in the post.

Had to wait a bit whilst the adviser checked, I think they were aware of PPF but not dechrome but eventually confirmed that everything was OK. I made sure to have the chat transcript emailed to me :)

Reactions: Durzel
A wise move to have the chat emailed to you :)

That being said, the guy who posted this thread said that DL wouldn't insure a wrap. I'd be worried about them insuring it as "decals/stickers", as that's clearly not what it is.

FWIW Novo included the cost of the PPF (materials & labour) in the agreed value on the car, but it was an expensive (~£900) policy comparitvely.

A wise move to have the chat emailed to you :)

That being said, the guy who posted this thread said that DL wouldn't insure a wrap. I'd be worried about them insuring it as "decals/stickers", as that's clearly not what it is.

FWIW Novo included the cost of the PPF (materials & labour) in the agreed value on the car, but it was an expensive (~£900) policy comparitvely.
Yeah, they did say in the chat 'it's not a wrap, is it?

So I think for any future visitors to this thread, avoid DL if you're thinking of getting your car wrapped but advise them if thinking about PPF.

Unfortunately a lot of insurers seem to be stuck in the dark ages.

PPF is clearly a wrap, but it's not a colour changing wrap so it's not done "for show". Having said that, the issues with accident repair on a wrapped car are the same for one with PPF - i.e. it needs to be replaced at increased cost than just painting.

Bearing in mind the value of the car and the fact that I knew with the paint quality being what it is I 100% wanted to get it PPF'd, I didn't want to leave it to chance.

My worry (for you) is that you could phone DL 5 times and get 5 different answers. Hopefully you can get it in writing that it is covered, with explicit mention of it being PPF, not "decals/stickers".

Last edited:
Unfortunately a lot of insurers seem to be stuck in the dark ages.

PPF is clearly a wrap, but it's not a colour changing wrap so it's not done "for show". Having said that, the issues with accident repair on a wrapped car are the same for one with PPF - i.e. it needs to be replaced at increased cost than just painting.

Being in mind the value of the car and the fact that I knew with the paint quality being what it is I 100% wanted to get it PPF'd, I didn't want to leave it to chance.

My worry (for you) is that you could phone DL 5 times and get 5 different answers. Hopefully you can get it in writing that it is covered, with explicit mention of it being PPF, not "decals/stickers".
Good point, I'll see what the insurance documents say when they arrive. Was thinking about changing policies anyway as the excess is rather large with DL and more recent quotes have been cheaper with a lower excess.

Admiral confirmed to me that they will accept a car with PPF as an "External Decorative Modification", it's not insured (so won't be replaced) but they'll document it so it doesn't affect the rest of the policy.
Yes, they do, and they quoted me £800 more a year than my current Insurer. (Currently just over £400 a year) although my current WON’T insure me if i wrap my car!

Ouch, that's a sore and expensive one. Reminds me of when my daughter - 3 at the time - decided to draw on my plasma TV screen with a biro. Scratches galore. Although I was secretly pleased because it gave me an excuse to upgrade the TV :)

On the wrap / PPF insurance front, is it not reasonable to get the car insured with anyone - LV, Direct Line whoever - without telling them about the wrap? It's more of a cosmetic rather than performance upgrade after all. And, in the unfortunate event that an accident occurs requiring repair, have the insurer pay for the base car repair and pay for any PPF/wrap element of it separately yourself. Is this not a feasible approach? I'd have thought a discussion with an insurer to add a clause on the policy to note that the insurer is not responsible for any PPF/wrap repair/replacement would be reasonable.

No, in my experience, they say “your car insurance is not valid due to unauthorised modifications” and will get out of paying.

Yeah, they did say in the chat 'it's not a wrap, is it?

So I think for any future visitors to this thread, avoid DL if you're thinking of getting your car wrapped but advise them if thinking about PPF.
I got a fantastic quote tonight, but there was nowhere to add mods, so i used the chat and asked, and she said “we do not insure full wrap”

I got a fantastic quote tonight, but there was nowhere to add mods, so i used the chat and asked, and she said “we do not insure full wrap”
In the modifications section of my policy I have:

Paint - Protection
Decals/Stickers

This (I have on record from live chat) is to cover paint protection film and dechrome.

The person you're talking to needs to understand that it's not a colour changing wrap more a protective film.

Woahhh! So this is new information!

Hope to never be in that position, but I’m ok if I had an accident that I’d get a white car as a replacement without any accessories including wrap etc, but the possibility that the insurance would be invalid is a real worry.. because my plan IS for a full colour change wrap... and I would NEVER have through to tell the insurer that - I did wonder about when the police are looking for a black Tesla then it turns out it’s being driven around in a red wrap but never thought about the insurers - plus I’m not planning to be chased by the police so dismissed that thought!

phonecall to Churchill... again... Monday!

I’m getting a front PPF and ceramic coating on my M3, I spoke to Churchill about this when I got a quote and they were quite OK about it as it’s not a full visual wrap changing colour / graphic etc. No increase to cost.

Personally, I’m quite cautious about this sort of thing. Whilst I never intend being in a position where the validity of my insurance is being questioned, I do not want to risk an insurer saying coverage was invalidated and me facing prosecution, a mandatory 6 points, and a big fine

Personally, I’m quite cautious about this sort of thing. Whilst I never intend being in a position where the validity of my insurance is being questioned, I do not want to risk an insurer saying coverage was invalidated and me facing prosecution, a mandatory 6 points, and a big fine

absolutely!! Car doesn’t come until sept 1st but I’m so glad I saw this thread as would never have thought it was enough to warrant mentioning!

Reactions: Lucanesque
One other thing possibly - if you are planning on changing the colour of the car be it paint or wrap - I think you need to tell DVLA since the vehicle colour is defined (item R) on the V5C document.

I wouldn't think a wrap is permanent enough.

For instance Smart would register a 'blue' Smart Car is as silver on the V5 because the metal body is silver but the blue panels, which make up the majority of the visual appearance, are deemed temporary because they can be easily swapped. The silver is the only permanent colour on the car.

I would have thought that you could remove most of a whole car wrap in a 20-30 minutes or so simply using your fingers. I have seen how easy it is to do on a partial PPF wrap, its like peeling sellotape off a smooth surface. So even easier than swapping panels on a Smart car.

I know this is not a direct answer to your question but... I know wraps aren't cheap and most people do it for paint protection which in your case is closing the barn door after the horse bolted. Personally, I would not buy a car that is wrapped (clear ppf excluded) for this very same reason....

Would you not be better off putting in a claim for vandalism and get it fixed properly?

I just spoke to my insurer, Directline, about new wheels and in passing mentioned we were planning on getting the car wrapped because my 3 yr old daughter did a "drawing" on all four panels and the trunk lid with a rock and its cheaper to wrap than spray. Directline told me they will not cover the vehicle if wrapped.

So, I have seen a load of UK wrapped Teslas on the internet therefore some insurers must do it. If you've got yours wrapped please can you let me know your insurer?

Thanks
Richard

I wouldn't think a wrap is permanent enough.

For instance Smart would register a 'blue' Smart Car is as silver on the V5 because the metal body is silver but the blue panels, which make up the majority of the visual appearance, are deemed temporary because they can be easily swapped. The silver is the only permanent colour on the car.

I would have thought that you could remove most of a whole car wrap in a 20-30 minutes or so simply using your fingers. I have seen how easy it is to do on a partial PPF wrap, its like peeling sellotape off a smooth surface. So even easier than swapping panels on a Smart car.
It used to be the case several years ago that the DVLA did not require you to notify them in the case of a wrap changing the colour of the car as it was regarded as a “temporary colour change”, but that changed and now they do.

https://evolutionsigns.co.uk/blog/dvla-vehicle-wrap-policy

Thanks guys did some google research... and found this article, so confirming posts that DVLA must be update (resolves the police info thought i had) and also for the insurers, I’m not tinting so I’m hoping that the reduced visibility increasing potential for an accident (scientifically, I’m not judging your choice to tint - so don’t come at me!) is what caused the price increase and not the wrap.... we’ll see. For anyone else curious - here is a decent article

Should I Tell My Insurance Company & DVLA About A Car Wrap?

And a second but 1st one best I found

https://www.balgores.com/changing-the-colour-of-my-car/