Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Inventory cars... Price difference...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, got the call back and it is good news.

It is a technical fault on the website and the first number is the correct one.

Current PCP rates are as follows:

Custom build - 4.9%
New Inventory S100 - 2.5%
New Inventory S75 - 3.5%

So as expected thankfully :)

• Informative
Reactions: .jg.
OK, got the call back and it is good news.

It is a technical fault on the website and the first number is the correct one.

Current PCP rates are as follows:

Custom build - 4.9%
New Inventory S100 - 2.5%
New Inventory S75 - 3.5%

So as expected thankfully :)

Thanks for the clarification on this. I’m test driving this weekend and in a very similar boat to yourself will be interesting to compare notes. Assume you’re in the 100?

Thanks for the clarification on this. I’m test driving this weekend and in a very similar boat to yourself will be interesting to compare notes. Assume you’re in the 100?

Just finished the test drive in the S100D.

All expectations confirmed.

Drive train is indeed excellent, smooth power delivery, insane acceleration with no delay, driving position good, seats comfortable.

Drivers view good despite the size of the A pillars, no problems with the size of the car and found the various sensors around the car giving good feedback on proximity to objects while manoeuvring.

All positive expectations met.

On the flip side all negative expectations were also met, no matter how hard I tried, it just doesn't feel like a £100K car when you sit in the cabin.

Switch gear is clunky and feels heavy in use while driving, particularly the indicators.

Finish and material choices exude a feeling of adequacy.

That's the problem with the interior right now, it isn't poor, it just doesn't belong in an expensive car.

So, I've got to see if the wow factor of the drive train outweighs the merely adequate standard of the interior and switchgear.

it just doesn't feel like a £100K car when you sit in the cabin

Yup.

Of course I've been driving the only, realistic, 200-mile range, fast-chargeable, EV that existed 2 years ago ... at which time I had a choice of one, so only a rose-tinted view.

And I've had some niggles that Tesla have not been able to fix (not the roadside-breakdown variety; cold-feet [suddenly, after say 60 minutes drive] and static on FM radio. I don't expect those on a 100K car ... nor for them to remain unresolved)

... but Tesla have fixed some things, gratis, that I would have expected to pay for. Cracked-windscreen (no sign of a stone chip, so they happily said it must be manufacturing fault) and they sent a driver with my wallet and house keys two hours to my home when I stupidly left them in the car [in for service].

OTA delivered all sorts of updates to me in that time, including Summon, Auto Park and Chill etc. and a bunch of refinements to Autopilot, Main Screen, and recently better maps and navigation. (also including, as the result of a discovery that they got a radar "return" from the car two-in-front, that my car will now do AEB before the Driver in front has even realised he is about to crash into the car in front of him ...)

So what would I buy today?

300+ mile battery then I would not be concerned about road-trip charging, so would choose anything that looked like it would not be a lemon.

Less than 300 mile battery then the only one for me is Tesla because of Superchargers. Even if CCS has a huge expansion program its going to be catch-up for the next two years, by which time I'd be looking to change anyway.

Other than that: Tesla has very low battery degradation (it might well be on a par with the loss of efficiency of an ICE, for same mileage). I love driving the Tesla (and now hate driving any ICE); but maybe I would love driving any other EV just as much?

Autopilot means I arrive SO MUCH MORE RELAXED than ICE days. Maybe similar exists on other Marques? I posted in another thread today, so you may have seen it, but my local A-road is rural, and not what you would call a "major aerial highway". At the moment it has temporary speed limit signs and my Ap1 will slow down for them, and speed up on exit, and [slow down for and] take a very sharp double bend, all with hands off wheel (but I always have one hand on wheel on AP, except for this passenger scaring/impressing demo)

I'm not fastidious about build quality and refinement, but I can understand how anyone who is would find Tesla fit & finish "wanting". But if the only gripe is that "Its not up to £100K standard", as distinct from "Not good enough for MY standards", then perhaps put that to one side and buy if you want any of the Tesla USPs - Supercharger, big screen, long range, hyper-acceleration, the amount of DEV that results in the OTA updates, getting young children into the rear seats (Model-X) without putting your back out ...

but more than anything, the fact that Tesla understand EV engineering probably better than any other. I would be seriously worried that e.g. a Jag will charge slowly, or taper [on fast charge] "much earlier than Tesla" (as seems to be the case from the few anecdotes I've read), or some other "version-one EV" problem

Even new Leaf, which should be mature-tech by now, has poor battery management cooling (not to mention Rapid-Gate) and still no significant big-battery option in 2018 model - maybe as a mega-corp Nisan soft pedalled the R&D once they got to market? They've certainly sold plenty of them ...

If Jag has a runaway success (and I don't see why they wouldn't - lots of innovation to fall in love with, and they are first-to-market of the rest of the pack) I can't see them making more than 20,000 units p.a. because they won't be able to get any more batteries. Unless they buy them from Tesla perhaps? :)

So if buying tomorrow I would want a proven generation-two manufacture, not a generation-one, with a widespread Fast Charge network.

Sorry, appears to still only be a choice of one Marque :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Terry_B58
Agree with all @WannabeOwner has said, and would add that it’s not a £100k car. A big chunk of the £100k is the battery and we are paying an early adopter premium by way of an adequate interior. It’s also been priced to help fund the Model 3, so there’s another chunk of change gone in that direction.

I can live with that as it’s more than made up for by the driving and ownership experience. It’s the future of driving and is the only fast charging long distance EV available. The I Pace doesn’t count as you haven’t a hope in hell of being able to charge that quickly anytime soon.

I came from Lexus and was petrified I couldn’t live with the relatively poor build quality but now you couldn’t pay me to buy one. Even the “self charging” variety, oops, they mean hybrid!

A big chunk of the £100k is the battery

Good point. A high mileage driver can recoup some of that from cheaper fuel. My simple arithmetic is a saving of £100 per month (EV compared to ICE) for each 10,000 miles p.a. driven. 25,000 miles a year would save £10K over three years ...

Charge at Work (No BiK tax) and the sums are even better, but Electricity is only £250 (E7 rate) per 10,000 miles driven, so even saving 50% of that for charge-at-work is not going to make a whole heap of difference.

Same savings for all EV of course, and (unlike V8 - V12 ICE) the differences between most-frugal-eco EV and highest-performance is narrow, perhaps 20%-30% rather than the several-multiples difference of an Eco Hatch ICE and a muscle-engine ICE.