Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Long Range Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I drove Edinburgh to London in Tesla Roadster. I just wanted to say that thanks to the HPC network it was no big deal.

It took about 12.5 hours; Two charge stops (Radisson Blu Durham and QHotels Nottingham Belfry) were totally pleasant: a city walk and a sandwich by the river in Durham (that was a short stop, just 1.5 hours); a refreshing swim in the pool then a business meeting in Nottingham.

My teenage son who was with me said "I never realised going to London in the Tesla could be so little hassle. I was worried that we'd have to wait hours for charging, but actually it was just a nice rest."

We actually stayed at Nottingham almost an hour longer than I planned due to the business meeting, and we arrived with >60 miles range remaining. So I think it's easy now ( with the HPC network in place in the UK) to do this trip in under 12 hours (by shortening the 5 hours charging time to 4).

It's worth noting that I observed speed limits the whole way and there were quite a few long sections of 50 mph limited roadworks.

Actual driving time was around 7 hours (in line with pre-trip Google estimates); actual charging time 4:52. The balance of time was made up of things like getting one of the hotels to kindly move another ICE vehicle they had parked at the (now signed) charger; stops to put on/take off the roof; pulling over to take a phone call - between them they must have added about 1.5 hours - amazing really the time we spend that we don't notice. All the getting charger spots cleared will go away as EVs become common.

For comparison:

An ICE driven the same speed would take the same driving time. With less care about the driving speed/recharge time tradeoff I might have broken speed limits in an ICE (and risked my drivers licence) to shave off 30-60 minutes.

I also had a 1 hour business meeting in Nottingham that was delayed 1 hour+ by late arrival of another participant (despite my "slow" EV drive, I was 30 minutes early).

I reckon one stop for petrol and two for human needs (food etc) plus the roof on/off, calls, etc would add 2 hours. Add two more for the business meetkng, and I reckon in an ICE I might have done in 11 hours what in an EV I did in 12.5.

Given that I also got to walk Durham's beautiful streets and sit by the river; given that I got a relaxing swim in at Nottingham; comparing that to the stress of motorway service stations and the relentless drive, drive, drive feel of ICE roadtrips - I think its a huge win!

Having said all that: If I hadn't had a meeting part way and needed this specific car with me in London today and at Goodwood tomorrow, well then I would never have driven (ICE or EV)! I would have taken the new sub 4 hour train service on East Coast Trains!

Last edited:
Impressed. And good to see charging networks are starting to come online. However, I disagree with your ICE times. I often drive from Glasgow & Edinburgh to London (2/3 times a month) and in my current car has never taken me more than 9 hours (usually about 8hrs), including 1 or 2 20 minute stops - for coffee/toilet. Car has a range of 750 miles, so no fill ups required.

78mpg avg, £20 road tax and 102g/km CO2. Until I can afford a electric car, this makes it the cheapest way to get to London and back - including flying and easily a lot cheaper than trains.

Hi C53204 - can I call you C5?

Welcome to the site and thanks for posting.

I know this is off-thread but Andrew and C5 raise an interesting idea about real-world comparisons for the same journeys - ideally regular commutes. Can Roadster owners team up with an ICE-buddy/workmate.

Of course there'll be endless discussion as to what constitutes a fair comparison :)

For example: Pure EVs can't handle long, continuous journeys at high speed and/or heavy lifting. On the other hand; 78 mpg for a motorway run?? (yes, I know it's the average figure you quoted) so what was your cruising speed?

Last edited:
Hi C53204 - can I call you C5?

On the other hand; 78 mpg for a motorway run?? (yes, I know it's the average figure you quoted) so what was your cruising speed?

C5 is fine. 78mpg cruising around 65/70mph on motorways and on any stretches of non motorway roads - the legal limit, or maintaining traffic flow speeds.

78mpg is easily achievable with VW Polo TDI (1.2) on a long motorway 'run'. Even on a couple of weeks around town I never see less that 56mpg.

I used to teach 'eco' driving to fleet drivers. It's very easy to see big reductions in fuel consumption with just a few changes to ones driving style. Think of the millions of barrels of oil that could be saved a year.

Do we have a specific area for discussing how quickly it is necessary to jump in when someone answers a direct question?

I guess that would be in Site Feedback. My general rule of thumb is to allow around three posts on an off topic tangent before having to move stuff. Tangents are a natural part of conversation, so it's unavoidable (and good to a point). But if I see something that might take a thread far off topic, I try to remind folks (especially new members) to stay on topic. This is all volunteer work and moderators have enough to do as it is trying to keep things relatively organized. It helps if members can be mindful and moderate themselves, as it were, to assist in that regard. :smile:

I guess that would be in Site Feedback. My general rule of thumb is to allow around three posts on an off topic tangent before having to move stuff. Tangents are a natural part of conversation, so it's unavoidable (and good to a point). But if I see something that might take a thread far off topic, I try to remind folks (especially new members) to stay on topic. This is all volunteer work and moderators have enough to do as it is trying to keep things relatively organized. It helps if members can be mindful and moderate themselves, as it were, to assist in that regard. :smile:

Okay so this is the third off-topic post then...

I just have to add that you guys do an excellent job of moderating these forums. In comparison the official Tesla forums are completely neglected. In fact you've probably noticed that right now they're having a spam calamity over there! That could never happen here.

Hi an update: my trip this week (Tuesday 8am to Friday 10pm) was 999 miles (rounded it to 1000 for Twitter posting!) and included charging at the following UK network stations:

1. Raddison Blu Durham - twice (down and back). Both on a "passing though" basis. Full 70A charge. No fee levied for charging, and the normal parking fees waived. I spent some money eating. Very pleasant hotel, nice, friendly staff. General Manager a "car guy" and supportive. Follow them on Twitter @RadissonDurham. Btw the charger is in a space they keep a pool car in. Took 15 minutes finding keys to move it on way down. On way back I blocked it in and the cable just reached the charge port.
2. QHotels Nottingham Belfry - twice: down on a "passing through" basis. £15 fee levied, also I spent money on food. Use of hotel pool was thrown in. Also a great hotel. I would have used their £40 for 4 hours use of a room, plus access to leisure facilities and light refreshments (charging included) but they had no rooms available. I had phoned ahead so the charger spot (now signed) was also coned
Off for me. On the way back I stayed overnight. Ask for room 300 above reception. You get good phone reception there (problematic in some rooms) and can see the charger and your car - really nice to be able to glance out and see the green light flowing on the HPC! Btw charging is at 70A here, but overnight I dialed back to 40A so charging on Range Mode would end just before I left, minimising full battery time.
3. Heathrow/Windosr Marriott: bit of a saga to this one, for which there is no time now. Suffice to say I "passed through" and charged 2 hours while eating a meal. No
Cost currently levied. I was the first ever charging customer so had some education to do. Waited 20 minutes for the keys to be found to a cabinet in which they have hidden the HPC to protect it. Beware the door swings VERY wide - park far enough away that it doesn't hit your car. 60A is the limit here. Parking is payable, but complementary if eating - ask your waiter/waitress. There seems to be a pool but I didn't try to use it.

Also on the trip I charged:
4. Overnight at my sister's house running a 13A cable out of the window.
5. At Tesla's new Acton service centre (30A MC240 for now - they are trying to get HPC in - some electrical issues)

I failed to locate or gain access to charging at Goodwood Circuit (32A socket in Paddock 3).

Any more details, just ask. .

A couple of other stats (slightly OT):
22 hours drive time
45 mph average (including motorway at up to 70, with flow of traffic; country roads at 60 or below; London and Nottingham urban congestion; motorway roadworks and congestion)
260 Wh/mile for the trip
No attempt to draft (except where congestion forced it)
Ample use of cruise control (where safe)
Three "test rides" included - So average Wh/mile could come down!

Perhaps this ought to be in the 'Charging Infrastructure' thread, but since this one is UK-specific...
suggest you start another thread to keep the HPC network distinct from others... i've done something similar with the ZCW Network;

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/5872-UK-ZCW-Charging-Network

Here's the latest news on the ZCW sites. I'll add these to the ZCW thread when I get the full details of each site;

http://www.zerocarbonworld.org/about-us/news-a-events/73-zero-carbon-pioneers

Thanks David!

I have one related follow-up question: I've just registered for Ecotricity's charging network, which apparently has a 400V 32A three-phase supply through a
type 2 IEC 62196 connector. Has anybody managed to charge a Roadster at an Ecotricity charge point? I know Tesla doesn't supply a cable; some posters
here from the Netherlands have acquired or made up cables with IEC 62196 connectors, but I suspect that they are not using them on 400V three phase.

cheers
Sean