TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

UK Long Range Charging Network

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by dpeilow, Apr 6, 2010.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Blue ones with dots - HPCs
    Blue one without dot - still to come

HPCnet.PNG

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Andrew B reported this afternoon that Dalmahoy (near Edinburgh) is fine and there may have been a mix up because the HPC connector is a little stiff when you twist it onto the car.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

This of course means that the route is clear* for an even quicker end-to-end run now that The Moat House is installed. By my estimate a 5 hour reduction is possible.

*assuming Aviemore is ok, as I don't think anyone has been up there lately.

4. Alexandersims

Alexandersims Member

Anyone up for a road trip then?!

5. Alexandersims

Alexandersims Member

Just to let you all know that I've been on at the Windsor Marriott for a while to scrap their tedious 10 pound flat fee for a charge and after speaking to the manager thetpy have waived the fee once I told them that only Tesla drivers could use it anyway.
    I use it often as its between Wales and London but hopefully others can take advantage as well. Their restaurant and bar food is pretty nice....

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#106 dpeilow, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    Great. Do they still manage to lose the key for 20 minutes each time?

Re the roadtrip, will probably have to wait for better weather although the Highlands in the winter is always fantastic and fun to drive.

7. Alexandersims

Alexandersims Member

In all fairness to them the key has been readily available every time.
    Not sure why they don't have it on a latch as going to reception each time is a bit of a pain.
    Still though, bit by bit!

Yeah, it was more that I'd like to do it at some point, would be cool to hold the record for a period of time at least. I'm sure it'll be beaten with the Model S...

8. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

I had an hour wait last time I was there and warned them that I'd start using the Marriott or Radisson Blu at Heathrow if this didn't improve... as ZeroNet expands and we get competition for EV driver visits this will improve.

9. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

It would be a great thing to do in the week following our Brighton EV Gathering in June when we expect lots of European owners... maybe we could have 20+ Roadster's undertaking the End to End drive one after another and award a cup to the best time.

10. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

11. Alexandersims

Alexandersims Member

Gian has been very good to supply the Celtic Manor with an HPC so once installed they should have ZCW and HPC charge points. Good news for me and anyone else wanting to drive through South Wales.

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

A couple of weeks ago I got a message from another Roadster owner that he was at Tebay and the Roadster HPC was missing.

I immediately contacted the site manager and was told that it had been removed. The service station is just about to open an 8 bay supercharger on the other side of the road and was under the impression that it superseded the Roadster HPC. Obviously he was surprised that superchargers do not support Roadsters and said that is an oversight by Tesla (tell me about it...)

He also said that the Roadster HPC has not been used for more than a year and was in a bad state. Because of that I could not persuade him to reinstate it. However I know at least one owner claims to have been there earlier this summer.

I asked if Tesla was aware that this HPC was being removed and he said yes. AT NO TIME WAS THE REMOVAL COMMUNICATED BY TESLA TO ANY ROADTER OWNER I KNOW - MEANING THAT ONE TURNED UP AT THE LOCATION EXPECTING TO FIND AN HPC AND INSTEAD FOUND A HOLE IN THE WALL.

He also said that the current Tesla staff was unaware Tebay even had it. This is despite me sending a list of all UK HPC locations and site contact details to Georg Ell a couple of years ago after a conversation we had at the West Drayton opening party, where I said it would be nice to get Roadster HPCs on the Tesla "Find Us" page.

Tesla said to Tebay they did not want the unit back. Tebay were just going to dump it if I had not intervened. I had to sign a waiver to indemnify Tebay from any future liability issues and then arrange my own pick up from the other end of the country. Then I found out the box was full of water from where it had been left on the ground outside and it may not work, but nevertheless I decided it was still worth having.

Anyway as luck would have it, my Roadster is in for the 3.0 battery work and I have been loaned a 100D - the first time I have ever been given another Tesla as a loaner. This seemed as good a reason as any for a roadtrip, so rather than pay a courier to go get it (and not be sure I had everything) I jumped in the loaner with @Kerios and we put 550 miles on it yesterday. We retrieved the unit and sure enough it was full of water.

The HPC is now back at my place. If it is working electrically then I will sort out the cosmetic stuff and try to find a new home for it, preferably in the neighbourhood of Tebay so there isn't a hole in the UK network. If it is damaged beyond repair then I will use the plug and cable to equip a new 70A capable EVSE and try to do the same.

However, in my opinion this is yet another example of Roadster owners getting second class treatment. The community put a lot of effort into building this network. There aren't many of us in the UK, but I know that Roadsters from mainland Europe do visit on a regular basis as well. Once the Tesla country manager that was around when we built the network in 2010/11 moved on, it's clear that the next wave of staff couldn't care less about the work that was done on this 6 or 7 years ago. Many of the second hand owners are not aware that it exists and the poor record keeping and redevelopment of the website that eliminated the HPC press releases and map mean there is no way for them to find out either. It's all extremely disappointing.

So the final irony is that the blue 32 Amp outlet that I gave them in 2010 and which enabled me to do the famous Tesla vs. the BBC run is still there, but the HPC which was put in afterwards because of that effort is now gone. I never did get to use it myself.

20170909_174235.jpg 20170909_173039.jpg 20170909_172953.jpg

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2