Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve ordered and completed my details for delivery location, payment, registration etc.

My account page still gives me the “Edit Design” option - I’m considering changing colour from red to an alternative colour to free up some funds for the home charger spend. So:

- Can I can edit the design at any point after placing the order?
AND
- Will the price on my order change to reflect the edited design?
Finally
- At what stage does editing design become impossible? After VIN number has been assigned?

The FAQ page is a bit vague on this although it does say that the design can be changed after ordering.

The edit button disappears eventually. You would like to think that is when they commit to building your actual car, but on the evidence of complete lack of tracking between what is being made and what is delivered to the UK, who knows!

But while the button is there you can play to your hearts content, but price changes will be reflected. So if you go in to remove the red but the base price has increased in the mean time then the new price will apply and you might not save as much as you expect. So best to lock in what you want ASAP I think.

Reactions: interbear
Was also told "I don't know how you got on the first boat when there are other people more ahead than you with their finance" which I thought was a tad off seeing as I'm not the one making the decisions!

That's a bit rich to say the least because I have an email from the UK and Ireland delivery manager telling me that not having the finance in place right at this moment will not affect my delivery date! I specifically asked, due to the delay created by Tesla because of the PCP confusion and poor advice. Before this I was told twice that the PCP option would be up on the website "tomorrow". Then that it won't be available at all.

In my experience financing tends to have the following impacts on delivery times (at least mid-quarter in continental Europe):
-no impact on when you get a VIN assigned to your order
-but a danger to get the VIN reassigned to someone else once the final invoice is made if Tesla don't get confirmation they will get paid. That invoice is usually produced a couple of days after the ship arrives in Zeebrugge.

So different people both right it has and does not have an impact. It's only if Tesla smells that your delivery could end up in limbo that they might choose to deliver sooner to someone they are sure is going to pay.

A44C7DB2-C740-4CFA-BB6F-AA4151FF1A3D.jpeg
...it looks like @Roy W. 's unit has the (old) blue lever.

It is indeed! When I’ve got 10 mins I’ll take the cover off and look for any sign of overheating.

Well I was straight on the phone to Chiswick this morning re the BlackHorse HP application. They seemed a bit confused that I was calling them, rather than them calling me. I wasn't going to comment on Tesla's outgoing communications however.

On the plus side - it's all good, so the 'lovely lady' from Tesla is most pleased and I should now still get my car in the first two weeks of July.
Does feel like it's a bit of a weight off, and given that it's a no obligation quote perhaps something I should have done a bit earlier. The joy of hindsight.

Roll-on July!

In my experience financing tends to have the following impacts on delivery times (at least mid-quarter in continental Europe):
-no impact on when you get a VIN assigned to your order
-but a danger to get the VIN reassigned to someone else once the final invoice is made if Tesla don't get confirmation they will get paid. That invoice is usually produced a couple of days after the ship arrives in Zeebrugge.

So different people both right it has and does not have an impact. It's only if Tesla smells that your delivery could end up in limbo that they might choose to deliver sooner to someone they are sure is going to pay.

This feels like why I have my final invoice. Straightforward spec paying cash with no part ex required so in theory a quick win for sales / delivery.

Going by the SR waiting room threads in the US the service centres will invariably receive a batch of cars but will also receive lots of cancelled or amended orders so will have cars but not necessarily orders that match so a lot of people were succeeding in ringing around the various service centres and asking what specs they have that are currently unassigned. I believe by mid July this may be worth considering for anyone still in the dark on their order status.

So I’ve ordered and completed my details for delivery location, payment, registration etc.

My account page still gives me the “Edit Design” option - I’m considering changing colour from red to an alternative colour to free up some funds for the home charger spend. So:

- Can I can edit the design at any point after placing the order?
AND
- Will the price on my order change to reflect the edited design?
Finally
- At what stage does editing design become impossible? After VIN number has been assigned?

The FAQ page is a bit vague on this although it does say that the design can be changed after ordering.

Are you taking advantage of the UK government subsidy on a charger (not a Tesla one)? This brings the charger price down to about £150-£250 installed. Home & Business Car Charging Unit Installations | McNally EV installed a Rolec with a 5m cable and plug for me. Works fine. Though it made little difference to the price of MC red on my model s. Red is a divisive colour around here, but I'm very pleased with it.

On ordering, if it is like the Model S ordering process was then you can change your mind up until about 14 days after 'committing'.

I'd recommend going with what you really want.

Why no FSD? While I don't expect 'real' FSD to appear anytime soon, the features like auto park, autopilot, NOA, and so on make a real difference to the fun of driving long distances.

... come back in 6 months when the kinks are ironed out? ...

I decided I wasn't going to buy another petrol burner, but my 8yo car isn't going to implode if I don't get a Tesla immediately.

I like your optimism that Tesla's ordering and fulfilment will be resolved in the next 6 months. I think 'in the next 3 years' might be a less Elon-like timeframe.

Unsure why folks are getting worked up about wandering delivery dates and lack of information. As you suggest, it is only a car. When I ordered my Model S in 2017 there was a lot of nothing that happened between placing the order and any news of action. In the end, if I remember correctly, Tesla delivered about 5 weeks ahead of time. And it has been worth every moment of 'I wonder what's happening' and 'when?!?'.

My order to delivery time was not that different from my experiences with German car makers. The ordering process for Tesla was significantly easier, less confusing, and simpler than any other car I've had. And on reflection I welcome the radio silence and uncertainty & excitement of delivery updates compared to the repeated calls from dealerships with no real news. The experience since driving away has been immeasurably better.

If you have an order for a Model 3 in and you want the car, just sit back and try to relax. Even a few weeks of hire car or public transport will be quickly forgotten when you get behind the wheel of your own Tesla.

Reactions: Roy W.
I’m now worried as I applied for Finance back in the middle of May and have had zero contact from Blackhorse. Tesla called me on the 24th May and did say finance was ok but I would have thought Blackhorse would contact me directly. They appeared as a search in my credit report so presumably something has happened.

A little communication would go a long way for everyone involved I think.
Blackhorse seem to get in touch only when it comes to sending you the agreement docs and payment summaries. Otherwise I recall Tesla folks doing the work.

Reactions: -DB-
on reflection I welcome the radio silence and uncertainty & excitement of delivery updates compared to the repeated calls from dealerships with no real news

But ... Tesla is in a position to give a first rate online service - and further differentiate itself from Dealer-fronted Marques. And all the time they don't do that it must be costing them a fortune giving personal-service to each person phoning up and asking "What is going on" ...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ediflyer
Blackhorse seem to get in touch only when it comes to sending you the agreement docs and payment summaries. Otherwise I recall Tesla folks doing the work.

In my case, despite Tesla stating clearly that BH finance was all approved 6 months before delivery (I ordered with a deferred delivery) on the actual delivery day itself BH suddenly called to say there was a problem with my address details which led to a big panic and a 3 hour delay before I could pick the car up. I wasn't very impressed, but got there in the end.

• Helpful
Reactions: PrGrPa
I finally made some progress with my order today. I finally got to speak to someone from Tesla Euro sales in Amsterdam and apparently they are now in the process of amending my order without the performance upgrade package at the current lower price. He said it wouldn't affect my delivery timing, but I'm not going to know either way. So looks like I won't have to cancel and re-order after all.

BH suddenly called to say there was a problem with my address details

Probably using Sharkleys computer system ...

had a similar issue with an "Interest Free Repayment" on something I wanted to buy. It was Sharkleys (with whom I wouldn't normally deal under any circumstances because they have been fined so many times for fragrantly dishonest / criminal behaviour ... but hey! Pay-Cash or "pay 24 instalments 0% interest", wasn't a hard decision ... or so I thought.

The form filling online took SOME TIME but for my address it had a PostCode lookup. I get those everywhere all over the internet of course, and they have always been right. Sharkleys was not ... it was so bad that very high chance that anything posted to that address would never be delivered ... so I manually adjusted the address to correct it (I mean ... their form allowed me to edit my address, so that's OK right?)

So next I get a call from Barclays

"Your adders is wrong Sir"
"No, your postcode lookup is wrong"
"Need you to put the correct address in"
"But nothing you send me will ever arrive"
"You need to fill the forms in again"
"Can I edit it then?"
"No, what we do is delete your application and then you can start again from scratch"

Sent a polite note to the supplier saying they had lost my business and went elsewhere.

So ... modified my Sharkleys edict from :

"with whom I wouldn't normally deal under any circumstances"

to

"with whom I won't ever deal with under any circumstances"

There .. I feel better now :)