Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just doesn't want to work that way. It costs money. You get a text / email when the delivery date is assigned and Final Invoice etc.

I don't think they want to. Every time a customer feels the need to speak to a human it costs money ... should be entirely possible to provide a slick online service, which then scales up to Infinity with no additional cost, such that human interaction is minimal.

Other customer-hugging brands available ... Tesla is, and wants to be, different.

As you say, good communication costs less not more so cost can't be the reason Tesla UK "doesn't want to work" in a way that improves communication. There is no doubt Tesla is/wants to be different, but I disagree that awful customer comms is part of this desire! As their online purchasing system clearly isn't up to scratch, I couldn't agree more with @Electric Dream about the UK customer service team setup.

Removing the need to deal with the "customer-hugging" but highly irritating car dealership network is awesome. I have never had a good sales experience with a car dealership, despite oodles of communication. However, there is no excuse for Tesla to worsen what could and should be a great experience, from reservation/order placement through what almost all owners report as a fantastic ownership experience due in most part to the product.

apparently they never got the email

I don't know if it works any better, but I always use "Support" on the My Tesla page ... on the basis that my Message is then attached to my Account, and doesn't rely on someone "filing the email" in the right place

However :( ...

"Support" is found on MyTesla : [Manage] (on specific car)

But there is no such option for any car which is On Order ... so unless you have another car already that isn't going to work

Another self-foot-shoot on Tesla's web design.

Even then I have had them sending replies to an old (no longer used) Email address - despite MyTesla email address being correct

On speaking to Support:

"Can you check my email address, people are sending emails to an old address"
"That can't happen Sir, we only have a single central email address"
"That's odd, I've found a record with your old email address . ... I'll fix it"

So that's two places for email addresses to "go wrong" ... probably more

Tesla BackOffice could be so much better ...

Last edited:
Reactions: J18ede
As their online purchasing system clearly isn't up to scratch, I couldn't agree more with @Electric Dream about the UK customer service team setup.

But I don't think that should lead to:

"Our website is poor let's go to all the expensive of setting up a Human-staffed department, HR, employment contracts, impact on accounting liabilities"

What Tesla need to do is "live with it, it is short term" (not a comfortable choice and risk of lousy PR etc etc) or far better IMHO because it is in line with their desires "Fix the website and automated COMMs so it is best-of-breed"

You'll be telling your chums how wonderful the car is ... once you've got it ... but you'll also be telling them what a lousy buying experience it was.

Either way, current lousy ramping-up for UK M3 sales is poorly implemented, as all previous ramp-ups have been. The next whinge is bound to be lousy lead times for service ... also not well ramped up (although I quite like the Norway model, if implemented here: build a monster "service factory" somewhere in the middle of the country; any vehicle issue which cannot be resolved within X-time is transported to Mega Service Factory and huge team of people, and centre of knowledge excellence, get on with it. Presumably also avoids any possibility that a well resources site-specific service centre team have "no issues to solve today" slack periods :)

I have never had a good sales experience with a car dealership

Good point, me neither. Very nearly didn't buy a car because salesperson convinced me that Feature-X about the car was a major hassle ... turned out it was a hassle for Salesperson to Demo, but trivial to use, and made a huge difference to my ownership of the car. Had forums have existed, back then, I would already have known more than Salesperson when I rocked up !!

I've had very good experience with my current car support and service. So good in fact I've refused to change cars... until now. That only because I've decided to go all electric.

I don't feel the need for human interaction - in fact I avoid at all cost. But if I am spending upwards for £55K on a car, I'd like to be better informed. I get better informed spending £500 on a tumble dryer from AO.

That said, I much rather Tesla engineers are working on the cars software than on their website and BO systems.

More RHD VINs registered. Up to ~5000 total now.
Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 2.57.26 PM.png

Hi

Q1) Why can we not add the 19’ wheels over the Aero wheels like they can in other countries for eg $1500?

Q2) any idea when white becomes default colour ?
I don't know. Even the Tesla sales person told me they didn't know when I asked. I too would like the option.

I have an idea as to why though. Pure speculation but I think it's because they want people to go for the P and then upgrade with the performance pack. If they offered the P- varient with the 19" wheel option they would sell way fewer Performance pack upgrade options.

Reactions: Rooster6655
By the by, I think the Aero wheels look MUCH nicer in-the-flesh than in any photo I have seen. Folk way more design-opinionated than me have commented favourably on them.

I assumed if I took a photo that would look better ... but IMO that doesn't do them justice either

View attachment 427451

I agree 100%. I ordered a M3 with the Aero wheels but had a slight seed of doubt having only seen photos. I wasn’t convinced but with the 19 inch sport wheels removed as an option I had no choice really as I’m not prepared to pay for the performance upgrade pack and suffer 20 inch alloys on UK roads. But all seeds of doubt about the Aeros were removed when I saw them “in-the-flesh” for the 1st time last week. I was very pleasantly surprised. I saw them on a black M3 in the Netherlands and they definitely look better than on photos. I actually think they’ll look pretty cool with the red M3 I’ve ordered. Always liked a red/black (or dark grey) combo.

Reactions: ediflyer
By the by, I think the Aero wheels look MUCH nicer in-the-flesh than in any photo I have seen. Folk way more design-opinionated than me have commented favourably on them.

I assumed if I took a photo that would look better ... but IMO that doesn't do them justice either

Agreed completely. I thought they looked alright in photos but I'd probably end up taking them off. Like the car itself, I found them much more visually appealing in real life than in photos and videos. I actually rather liked them, so did others in my group who aren't really Tesla nerds or car nerds in general. I think, like the lack of grille, it's a look that people will grow to appreciate more in time. People don't like change. :)

I'm very encouraged by the Aero comments above - will see what they're like in the flesh but sounds like I'll likely be sticking with them. I saw some quite nice looking carbon fibre wraps for the Aero slats too.

The Chinese P tyres are interesting, much more of an Aero-esque design!

19" replica turbine wheels should be available in the next few weeks from UK distributors. Having said that those with 18" Aero's may not want to have ride comfort suffer over aesthetics.

Yes there will be plenty of aftermarket wheels available but then you have to declare this to your insurance which is another level of pain for people who are probably already paying over the odds, obviously not worth invalidating any insurance with undeclared mods.

thought I heard they had a supply problem on the 19"s? Obvious answer to me would be get another design from somewhere, but maybe it doesn't work like that...
No shortage. Confirmed by Tesla today that the 19" Sport wheels are no longer available for the UK M3 configurations. They are still available in the USA and EU. Just RHD markets have the limitation apparently.