Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't read a huge amount into the video. It's good that they did it, but for me the margin of error was small enough that I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

For what it's worth - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres are epic. I had them on my two previous cars and they were a night and day difference from (ironically) the Pirellis that they came with. I could see why they would make a difference off the line.

Its interesting, Tesla used to have the entire market to themselves, the only game in town as such.
Tesla have grown faster than I think they can cope with or even they ever expected, the customer communication is very very lacking and its going to have to get better.

That area is one where the traditional manufacturers do have experience, and can make inroads, their tech maybe slightly running behind currently, but not that far behind, the talk at the minute seems to be the push for moving to Solid State Batteries across all of the traditional manufacturers, which by sheer design technology and safety is a plus, there is too much money being invested across the planet on this tech now for it not to be the pardon the pun driving force to electrification of the transport system.

Tesla always had the bleeding edge tech, but I feel if they are not looking at SS as a technology then LithOn is going to be superseded, and from what I am seeing the new batteries Tesla are looking at are as said better than the old ones bigger form factor tabless design, but very similar technology to the old and not SS.

Tesla invented most of the tech however in the UK we cant use half the tesla tech here on the most part anyway, even on some of the ICE cars from these old school manufacturers you have the equivalent of EAP, and as FSD is still not ratified in the UK or released in a form that works and as most here don't buy FSD due to the fact its still work in progress.

Its all great being able to do 1.99sec 0-60 but this is something that's more "my cars faster than yours" and not something you will do daily not without your kids/dog/you throwing up, all electric motors have the capability to annihilate ICE counterparts, torque levels are mental, its the tech its how it works.

However when you wrap that new tech in a shell with quality lightweight materials, no panel gaps, no leaky windows, German/Japanese build quality and can churn these things out one after the other with the same exact build over and over again it matters, and if you think they wont catch up on the tech your gonna be surprised, too much riding on this now.

My 2p worth.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Its interesting, Tesla used to have the entire market to themselves, the only game in town as such.
Tesla have grown faster than I think they can cope with or even they ever expected, the customer communication is very very lacking and its going to have to get better.

That area is one where the traditional manufacturers do have experience, and can make inroads, their tech maybe slightly running behind currently, but not that far behind, the talk at the minute seems to be the push for moving to Solid State Batteries across all of the traditional manufacturers, which by sheer design technology and safety is a plus, there is too much money being invested across the planet on this tech now for it not to be the pardon the pun driving force to electrification of the transport system.

Tesla always had the bleeding edge tech, but I feel if they are not looking at SS as a technology then LithOn is going to be superseded, and from what I am seeing the new batteries Tesla are looking at are as said better than the old ones bigger form factor tabless design, but very similar technology to the old and not SS.

Tesla invented most of the tech however in the UK we cant use half the tesla tech here on the most part anyway, even on some of the ICE cars from these old school manufacturers you have the equivalent of EAP, and as FSD is still not ratified in the UK or released in a form that works and as most here don't buy FSD due to the fact its still work in progress.

Its all great being able to do 1.99sec 0-60 but this is something that's more "my cars faster than yours" and not something you will do daily not without your kids/dog/you throwing up, all electric motors have the capability to annihilate ICE counterparts, torque levels are mental, its the tech its how it works.

However when you wrap that new tech in a shell with quality lightweight materials, no panel gaps, no leaky windows, German/Japanese build quality and can churn these things out one after the other with the same exact build over and over again it matters, and if you think they wont catch up on the tech your gonna be surprised, too much riding on this now.

My 2p worth.

All of this @K3v1n - Mine's coming on a 4 year lease - I am so looking forward to seeing what's available when it's time to renew - I'm hoping Tesla are still right up there, but sure as eggs is eggs - real choices we will have, and the pull of the SC network over public charging infrastructure should be less of a USP.

Reactions: K3v1n
All of this @K3v1n - Mine's coming on a 4 year lease - I am so looking forward to seeing what's available when it's time to renew - I'm hoping Tesla are still right up there, but sure as eggs is eggs - real choices we will have, and the pull of the SC network over public charging infrastructure should be less of a USP.
Fully agree here, were looking at a 4 year lease too and i think the world will be our oyster at the end of that term, almost every manufacturer will have pure EV options across the full range

My 2p worth.
SS batteries will be a game changer, but they are years away from production. They work in labs, but the costs involved in solid state are insane, and they do have significant wear and tear still, as in they still burn out after a few thousand cycles, they will come, but we'll all be ready for a new car by the time they do. Others are catching up, but Tesla is looking at their gen 3 cars now, though ours will be gen 2 and other manufacturers are still gen 1 at best. But still, on paper Tesla holds a significant advantage. Other cars are either fast or economical, long range = huge battery, and even 'long range' isn't that long compared to a Tesla, and tesla gets both the range and performance. No other car can do 150mpge and hit 60 in around 3 seconds.

I've also ordered an Audi E-Tron, its top of the range and cost an absolute fortune, its a good 50% more than the M3P that will sit next to it. I'm looking forward to it, but it will be a second car due to its limited range and charging infrastructure. Audi have always been exceptional at customer service, but frankly my experience with this one, which will be arriving Aug/Sep time, has been awful. I don't even know if they are building it yet. I've never had a problem before. Likewise, if we had ordered the LR model, then I think we'd have better comms too, but we all want the fancy fast one they are updating and relocating, so I think there is a lot of unknowns. I'm taking the delay as a good thing, maybe they learned from their mistakes. Lets not release early with garbage, lets get it right and send when its done.

I'm not defending tesla here, I'm also frustrated. But I've also got to the point now where its been so long, I don't care if its this month or next and I'm having the same issue from my long trusted Audi.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: K3v1n and Jez_GB
Glovis Sun is scheduled to arrive in Singapore for refueling tomorrow. If past history is anything to go by (which it probably isn't!), vehicles on board will start getting matched shortly thereafter. If our P's are onboard, I would like to think we would see those being delivered/collected starting around w/c 7th June. 🙏

Glovis Sun is scheduled to arrive in Singapore for refueling tomorrow. If past history is anything to go by (which it probably isn't!), vehicles on board will start getting matched shortly thereafter. If our P's are onboard, I would like to think we would see those being delivered/collected starting around w/c 7th June. 🙏
Theres a forum full of people here hoping you are right!!! 🙏

Somethings defintiely odd here, there are 173 (not that I counted them individually) Model 3 cars sitting in new inventory waiting for somebody to order, but not 1 of them is a Performance car. Tesla either got something very wrong in the mix of cars they've decided to build for the UK or... well, I'm struggling to think of what the other explanation might be other than they can't build them. I guess they're all sold could be the answer but given the configurator is still offering May you'd have thought if they could be available this month as the web site says then they'd be listed. LR custom build is saying June which is later yet there are inventory cars listed. #puzzled

It's definitely related to the cut-over from Fremont to Shanghai.

SR+ started being produced in Shanghai in Q4 2020 (IIRC), and LR started in late(?) Q1 2021 (dates might not be exact, but that's the general order).

For whatever reason (battery availability? parts availability?) they didn't ship any Ps from Fremont in Q1 (didn't want the "complexity" of RHD, or a UK ship I guess), but also didn't/couldn't ship Ps from Shanghai until now. I do wonder if we're going to see Shanghai RHD Ps shipped with Panasonic battery packs from Fremont....

Somethings defintiely odd here, there are 173 (not that I counted them individually) Model 3 cars sitting in new inventory waiting for somebody to order, but not 1 of them is a Performance car. Tesla either got something very wrong in the mix of cars they've decided to build for the UK or... well, I'm struggling to think of what the other explanation might be other than they can't build them. I guess they're all sold could be the answer but given the configurator is still offering May you'd have thought if they could be available this month as the web site says then they'd be listed. LR custom build is saying June which is later yet there are inventory cars listed. #puzzled
The cars are only offered as inventory stock after everyone with an order that could be matched have accepted or rejected their match. So on the basis that there are so many M3P’s awaiting to be fulfilled and they haven’t delivered any to the UK since the December batch from Fremont we wont see inventory until they deliver some and fulfil all the orders, there might be the odd one crops up if they oversupply a particular colour combination for instance but that will be all.

Keep the faith brother!

I had a bit of a wobble a couple of weeks ago, but had a word with myself. Remember, the forums generally carry a negative vibe, lots of really good info of course, but people often come here to highlight a poor experience. The Carwow comparisons, whilst massively entertaining, are hardly scientific!

Despite what you find herein, the chances of you having a poor collection experience, a poor car, and not having a huge grin on you face when you get behind the wheel of yours are slim.
I agree !! You are getting a car that is top of the range and a high performer. You choose the car because you know every time you will se a performance you will wish you stuck to your guns. If you cancelled in the last few weeks to go for a long range then you won’t get that car till mid May at the best. For the sake of another 4 weeks more you will get the Premium model and not settle for 2nd best. Hold your nerve everyone we are on the final straight

Reactions: Jez_GB and 2021_M3P
Status
Not open for further replies.