Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The I4 is certainly going to be interesting alternative to a M3P, near M3P performance except for the top speed, 300Mi range, Proven german build quality and comfort. Good looking interior & exterior for a antispated simalar price.

Guessing Tesla will have a trick up their sleeve to compete, perhaps the M3P 2022 model.

For now it's all talk and no show.. where Tesla have a proven product, just lacking somewhat on delivery turnaround. A UK based giga factory would be nice!
Talks are ongoing with the government for a giga factory on a 635 acre plot in Somerset.

Thought I'd give the random update generator a go over on the Tesla website (AKA Chat function). As with all information we get from there, it's probably worth taking with a pinch of salt, but I thought I'd share.

To summarise, all P's will be on the last ship to depart Shanghai in Q2. i.e None have been shipped yet.

Chat transcript below:

Oliver
Good evening M3P_W8, how can I help today?

M3P_W8
Hello, Please could you let me know if there is any update you can share regarding my order - RN########
M3P_W8
Estimated delivery is still showing as May (as it also is for new orders), but this is feeling unlikely now.
Oliver
Let me take a look for you.

M3P_W8
thank you :)
Oliver
So it has recently been confirmed that the Performance Model 3's will be on the last vessel of the quarter. Meaning they will be here for mid/late June delivery. The ETA on the website is a little confusing as it is just the soonest delivery for a Model 3. A Long Range Model 3 for example would be May delivery.
Oliver
This is unfortunately later that the ETA we originally had for the Performance cars.

M3P_W8
OK, thank you. So they haven't left Shanghai yet?....presuming my car is coming from China and not the US?
Oliver
All Model 3's for Europe are now build in China, that is correct, the performance Model 3's have not yet departed.

M3P_W8
I don't suppose you can tell me the name of the vessel that will be carrying my car? Trying to find something to keep me busy whilst patiently waiting!...tracking ships seems like fun! :)
Oliver
haha unfortunately as the cars have not yet been loaded I wouldn't know what vessel they will be on.

M3P_W8
Worth a try! :)
M3P_W8
thank you for your help
Oliver
My pleasure. have a lovely evening.

This 'mid/late June' delivery estimate does seem to fit the general trend of information flowing from Tesla, so I am inclined to believe it.

For information, over in the shipping thread, @Mr Miserable estimates the last Q2 ship will depart Shanghai around 15th May.

Thought I'd give the random update generator a go over on the Tesla website (AKA Chat function). As with all information we get from there, it's probably worth taking with a pinch of salt, but I thought I'd share.

To summarise, all P's will be on the last ship to depart Shanghai in Q2. i.e None have been shipped yet.

Chat transcript below:

Oliver
Good evening M3P_W8, how can I help today?

M3P_W8
Hello, Please could you let me know if there is any update you can share regarding my order - RN########
M3P_W8
Estimated delivery is still showing as May (as it also is for new orders), but this is feeling unlikely now.
Oliver
Let me take a look for you.

M3P_W8
thank you :)
Oliver
So it has recently been confirmed that the Performance Model 3's will be on the last vessel of the quarter. Meaning they will be here for mid/late June delivery. The ETA on the website is a little confusing as it is just the soonest delivery for a Model 3. A Long Range Model 3 for example would be May delivery.
Oliver
This is unfortunately later that the ETA we originally had for the Performance cars.

M3P_W8
OK, thank you. So they haven't left Shanghai yet?....presuming my car is coming from China and not the US?
Oliver
All Model 3's for Europe are now build in China, that is correct, the performance Model 3's have not yet departed.

M3P_W8
I don't suppose you can tell me the name of the vessel that will be carrying my car? Trying to find something to keep me busy whilst patiently waiting!...tracking ships seems like fun! :)
Oliver
haha unfortunately as the cars have not yet been loaded I wouldn't know what vessel they will be on.

M3P_W8
Worth a try! :)
M3P_W8
thank you for your help
Oliver
My pleasure. have a lovely evening.

This 'mid/late June' delivery estimate does seem to fit the general trend of information flowing from Tesla, so I am inclined to believe it.

For information, over in the shipping thread, @Mr Miserable estimates the last Q2 ship will depart Shanghai around 15th May.

I also had a chat with “Oliver” earlier... who was convinced that the shipping time from Shanghai to Southampton was no longer than 3 weeks !!!

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB and M3P_W8
To move away from the delivery speculation for just a moment. I've visited the tesla order site (as so many of us do regularly) and noticed a change.

When I bought my M3P Enhanced autopilot wasn't an option, so I selected FSD, I know, what's the point in this country etc. But most of the laws restricting it were from the EU, hopefully that will get better... now on that, I've noticed it now says 'Enhanced Summon - Coming soon'

I know that Tesla cars with FSD or enhanced autopilot already have enhanced summon, but lets be honest, since you need to stand next to your car, its more like taking your car for a short walk. This coming soon statement gives me hope that they are working with UK legislation to bring this feature to us more like the US functionality, which looks pretty good!! You never know, by the time we have our cars, we might have V11 software and more of the cool stuff the US enjoys right off the bat!

I know this is just yet more speculation, but I'm starting to think that speculation is half the "fun" of buying a Tesla!!

I noticed this morning that the first M3P cars MiC arrived in Australia this morning. Are these the first RHD MiC Performance vehicles to be delivered ? If they are, it will be interesting to track this to see what changes have been made.. if any.

6C93438D-6BE0-48D1-9E5A-CA82699D471F.png

Reactions: SarahWalker72
I noticed this morning that the first M3P cars MiC arrived in Australia this morning. Are these the first RHD MiC Performance vehicles to be delivered ? If they are, it will be interesting to track this to see what changes have been made.. if any.

View attachment 659665
So hope this is true as I feel more confident that ours are on their way or about to be. I have everything crossed

Reactions: Jez_GB and TomH0927
Oh no was excited for an hour then! back to the roller coaster of will they/wont they arrive by the end of Q2!!
I am calling my lease company today, they can find out what’s going on. This is getting ridiculous now - how do Tesla expect you to plan ahead for anything. No one can tell you whether it is late-May/early-June or Mid-June/late-June. No company is that disorganised that they don’t have a clear plan at this late stage.

Stupid question but how different is the M3P from the M3LR in terms of build that could have caused such an issue. I had thought they were fairly much the same so can't understand why Shanghai was able to quickly manufacture the LR but not the M3P. It a much higher margin car and if its not that different it seems silly to have over a 6 month delay.

Stupid question but how different is the M3P from the M3LR in terms of build that could have caused such an issue. I had thought they were fairly much the same so can't understand why Shanghai was able to quickly manufacture the LR but not the M3P.

Its quite possibly the physics of batteries and managing the voltage sag (these are really bad for batteries) you get when you put your foot down. So if you draw more power from the battery as you are accelerating faster, its going to result in more voltage sag. It could be one of the reasons why Performance models are apparently getting bigger batteries, as safe current draw from a battery is a function of its C rating (the rate that a battery can be charged or discharged at vs its energy capacity), so a battery with higher energy capacity can sustain a higher power draw whilst keeping within the same C rating.

Last edited:
Stupid question but how different is the M3P from the M3LR in terms of build that could have caused such an issue. I had thought they were fairly much the same so can't understand why Shanghai was able to quickly manufacture the LR but not the M3P. It a much higher margin car and if its not that different it seems silly to have over a 6 month delay.
They are quite different cars, not least the battery back is different and before now, nothing like it was in China. They use different suppliers in China for the batteries so they likely had to figure that out, get it right and working properly. I'd feel more confident that they have taken some time with it. On top of that, the suspension, wheels, spoiler, breaks etc. may not have been available in China either. I'd guess its a combination of new product suppliers and general logistics. The China M3P gets the Zero G Track pack alloys as standard, so they will be different cars for different markets making it more complex still. (Frankly I'd rather those wheels, it would make it faster!)

Reactions: 2021_M3P and Jez_GB
I've noticed it now says 'Enhanced Summon - Coming soon'

I know that Tesla cars with FSD or enhanced autopilot already have enhanced summon, but lets be honest, since you need to stand next to your car, its more like taking your car for a short walk. This coming soon statement gives me hope that they are working with UK legislation to bring this feature to us more like the US functionality, which looks pretty good!! You never know, by the time we have our cars, we might have V11 software and more of the cool stuff the US enjoys right off the bat!
I hope you're right, 'coming soon' has been part of Teslas' messaging about so many things ever since the beginning & some things still are.

I've used Smart Summon on a family Model X in a deserted carpark in the USA & witnessed others using it including a driverless M3 crawling between rows of parked cars at a supermarket. It had driven down from another row in extreme slow motion, cautiously stopping/starting at the slightest hint of any passive or moving obstruction.

A driver in a Chevvy was concentrating so hard on avoiding it that he knocked over someones shopping trolley, spilling its contents all over the supermarket lot in front of the driverless Tesla.

Meanwhile the M3 politely stopped, flashed its lights, folded the mirrors & sat there diagonal, motionless & completely blocking the exit to that row (showing no embarrassment for the chaos it had caused).

By the time I quietly drove away in the Model X so no one could take out 'Tesla rage' on me as well, the three people directly involved were having a hell of a row (shopper blaming Chevvy, Chevvy blaming Tesla. lots of others giving opinions). People were laughing or shaking their heads in disapproval at the big kids toy & a real car parked randomly either side of the wreckage! All quite embarrassing really because the vast majority seemed delighted to see the technology ridiculed so publicly.

All I can say is that advanced summon still has a long way to go even in California. My Daughters' car has it (not used) but until I'm totally incapable of driving myself, I don't think mine ever would.

I hope you're right, 'coming soon' has been part of Teslas' messaging about so many things ever since the beginning & some things still are.

I've used Smart Summon on a family Model X in a deserted carpark in the USA & witnessed others using it including a driverless M3 crawling between rows of parked cars at a supermarket. It had driven down from another row in extreme slow motion, cautiously stopping/starting at the slightest hint of any passive or moving obstruction.

A driver in a Chevvy was concentrating so hard on avoiding it that he knocked over someones shopping trolley, spilling its contents all over the supermarket lot in front of the driverless Tesla.

Meanwhile the M3 politely stopped, flashed its lights, folded the mirrors & sat there diagonal, motionless & completely blocking the exit to that row (showing no embarrassment for the chaos it had caused).

By the time I quietly drove away in the Model X so no one could take out 'Tesla rage' on me as well, the three people directly involved were having a hell of a row (shopper blaming Chevvy, Chevvy blaming Tesla. lots of others giving opinions). People were laughing or shaking their heads in disapproval at the big kids toy & a real car parked randomly either side of the wreckage! All quite embarrassing really because the vast majority seemed delighted to see the technology ridiculed so publicly.

All I can say is that advanced summon still has a long way to go even in California. My Daughters' car has it (not used) but until I'm totally incapable of driving myself, I don't think mine ever would.
Yeah, I know its a bit hit and miss... but I'll be glad if we at least have the option to use it. Never know, it might get better with the promise of 'mind blowing' improvements to FSD from Mr Musk... hahaha

I'm wondering if there will be an external speaker fitted to our expected batch of model 3's, I'm aware that the US have boombox allowing customisation sounds however simply doesn't work with the UK models due to no external speaker included to any Model to-date.

However the AVAS rule also comes into play July 1st 2021 that carries clout from the UK department of transport to which every EV that has been registered from 1st of July needs to have external audability of between 56 and 75 decibels at 12mph and below is compulsary.

On the asumption our M3P's won't have the external speaker also; I guess it will be more vital for Tesla to meet the end of Q2 delivery and registration, unless of course they do come fitted with speaker.

There cutting this mighty fine though given expected timeline, has anyone had any confirmation from Tesla if a speaker is included in the Q2 batch?.

I'm wondering if there will be an external speaker fitted to our expected batch of model 3's, I'm aware that the US have boombox allowing customisation sounds however simply doesn't work with the UK models due to no external speaker included to any Model to-date.

However the AVAS rule also comes into play July 1st 2021 that carries clout from the UK department of transport to which every EV that has been registered from 1st of July needs to have external audability of between 56 and 75 decibels at 12mph and below is compulsary.

On the asumption our M3P's won't have the external speaker also; I guess it will be more vital for Tesla to meet the end of Q2 delivery and registration, unless of course they do come fitted with speaker.

Tesla are advising that the third Q2 vessel (which will include M3P inventory) is scheduled to arrive into Southampton 17th June. This might be useful to @Mr Miserable

If the 3rd vessel arrives 17th June, and with presumably some excess inventory for July onwards.. you would think Tesla would now be fitting AVAS to comply with new legislation which is required from July 2021.

Reactions: Jez_GB
They can register the cars as soon as they clear customs into the UK so technically they could do that at any point after disembarking the vessel, if the dont have the speaker fitted then this will obviously prompt Some swift action but based on latest reports the last uk delivery of the quarter will be circa 18th June so plenty of time to get them all registered especially when they have the VIN Numbers well in advance.

I also believe that the boom box won’t offer the level fo functionality it will in the states unfortunately so we cant drive round in tie fighters or similar over here. I would personally prefer not to have a speaker at all so quietly hoping they dont come with one.

This will be a bit of an issue maybe for people wanting to keep the cars a long time, for the first few MOT‘s it will be ok as people will remember but after a while 21 plate cars will either be remembered as With or Without speakers and if it becomes with then its one of those things you will have to argue if its not there. This issue occurred with Cat’s, Fog Lights, Seatbelts… almost everything that becomes law mid cycle

Reactions: Jez_GB and Orange
Status
Not open for further replies.