Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 Performance 2021 Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love reading this thread; it is so positive and upbeat. So many excited people, like kids on Christmas Eve.

I’ve had my M3P for a year now and I can assure you, it is worth the wait. I’ve also had no negative issues with the vehicle, it has all worked as it should. Once you understand the beast, it is one hell of a car.

Here’s hoping you get your cars soon. It’ll give you a smile so wide, you’ll need to drive with the front windows open to fit it in.

The slight stretch going on with the tyres doesn't help the look either IMO.
It really doesn't. Just makes the arch gap look even bigger from most angles. I'll be sorely tempted to change to a slightly wider profile as soon as possible.

I had an Audi SQ7 before this and the M3P arch gaps look similar to that in it's 'comfort' setting, which is just bizarre to me.

Last edited:
It really doesn't. Just makes the arch gap look even bigger from most angles. I'll be sorely tempted to change to a slightly wider profile as soon as possible.
I was thinking of changing the tyres at the very least. Expensive hobby, but why buy a car like that and then cripple it with sub par tyres that can't cope with the stupid amounts of torque? Probably lose about 10-20 miles of range, but I'll take the hit.

I was thinking of changing the tyres at the very least. Expensive hobby, but why buy a car like that and then cripple it with sub par tyres that can't cope with the stupid amounts of torque? Probably lose about 10-20 miles of range, but I'll take the hit.

This is where my head is..... I'm thinking Michelin PS4 - 255, looks like an extra 20mm of rubber is required to offer a bit of protection to the rims. I'm not sure what aspect ratio to go for though, the standard 235/35 = 82.25mm, 255/35 = 89.25mm and 255/30 = 76.5mm - I don't know what effect those differentials might have on ride comfort and more importantly speed calibration.

This is where my head is..... I'm thinking Michelin PS4 - 255, looks like an extra 20mm of rubber is required to offer a bit of protection to the rims. I'm not sure what aspect ratio to go for though, the standard 235/35 = 82.25mm, 255/35 = 89.25mm and 255/30 = 76.5mm - I don't know what effect those differentials might have on ride comfort and more importantly speed calibration.
A 245 35 20 is the recommended size for that rim. I would stick with that. If you want more rim protection the Bridgestone Potenza Sport is worth a look.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jez_GB
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are insanely good.

Have just had the Audi S4 (400hp) go back after 3 years. It originally came with Hankook Ventus Evo (average in the dry, terrible in the wet).

Also tried Bridgestone Potenza (poor in the dry, shockingly bad in the wet).

Friend of mine has Pirelli P Zero on his RS3, they're ok and close to the Michelin's but just not quite as good.

The Michelin's.... I'm not sure how they've done it or what super glue they use but they stick like sh1t to a blanket! You will not be disapointed with these.... if you go for a slightly wider tyre then you'll never come unstuck!

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
A good set alloys makes a huge difference on a car. When you see a performance model in all colours with the turbines on, all of them look bloody good, however when you see certain colours in Aeros or the standard 19 inch wheels they don’t look as good. Any views ?

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are insanely good.

Have just had the Audi S4 (400hp) go back after 3 years. It originally came with Hankook Ventus Evo (average in the dry, terrible in the wet).

Also tried Bridgestone Potenza (poor in the dry, shockingly bad in the wet).

Friend of mine has Pirelli P Zero on his RS3, they're ok and close to the Michelin's but just not quite as good.
The PZ4 is much better than the older PZ, but not quite as good in some respects as the PS4S. The Bridgestone I was referring to the new Potenza Sport. That tyre is actually better in some ways than the PS4S.

Regarding the arch gap on the uberturbines, it's probably the only "concern" i have regarding the aesthetics of the car. I've tried to ignore that voice inside my head, but some others have mentioned it now!!

I think there's a few factors in it:
- camera angle - in that last video, it was held low and close, which is not how the car would mostly be viewed
- on black cars it seems worse, not helped by the flat ridge around the arch, and especially if the tire sidewalls are dirty/dusty against the dark rims and black paint.
- the stretch must only be there for handling purposes i think, to sharpen it up and making it more predictable by reducing sidewall flex on turn in, cornering, etc.

It's just disappointing when compared to european performance cars that do "stance" so much better, and it's not easily addressed without messing up suspension geometry etc. Thinking about it, it's probably typical of american performance cars.

But anyway, it's my only gripe, which I'm sure I'll forget about as soon as I get into the car!

A good set alloys makes a huge difference on a car. When you see a performance model in all colours with the turbines on, all of them look bloody good, however when you see certain colours in Aeros or the standard 19 inch wheels they don’t look as good. Any views ?
I think the 20" Turbines look great on all colours. The 18" Aero's look great on white & red cars. The 19" sport wheels I'm not a fan of on any colour car. It's the silver finish that to me doesn't look suited to the overall styling.

Reactions: Sunderland boy
The Uberturbines have grown on me, they are a great looking wheel. Not sure about them on the grey/silver car though... there is no contrast there so looks a bit odd in my opinion. They look stunning on the white car.

The Aeros are just god awful ha. The caps are coming off as soon as I get my car, the alloys underneath much better.

My only criticism of the uberturbines is that the angle of the blades is the opposite way round on each side of the car. I know they'd have to produce a left and right version to combat this issue but it just annoys me.

Sorry if you didn't already know know this and I have highlighted it to you.

Reactions: Sunderland boy
My only criticism of the uberturbines is that the angle of the blades is the opposite way round on each side of the car. I know they'd have to produce a left and right version to combat this issue but it just annoys me.

Sorry if you didn't already know know this and I have highlighted it to you.
It didn't annoy me as I didn't know about it/hadn't considered..... know that I do/have I find it irksome 😂

Hi, first post - just found the forum!
Getting my M3p on the 21st of June. Can’t wait.
I love the alloys. I work on jet engine fan blades, so they are basically personalised for me 😁.
I will however only be able to look at the car from one side so I don’t get irritated about them pointing the wrong way.
Welcome!

So which side should we avoid looking at? and please forgive the dumb question, I am not an aero engineer :)

Are you able to join us at the 2021 model 3 performance meet up (Grantham 10th July)?

Status
Not open for further replies.