Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 reservation holders - questions and considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I thought I would start a thread for UK reservation holders to discuss a few things that will affect us specifically.

To get started, here are some things which I've been mulling over which are still unclear:

• When cars will start to deliver to the UK.
In the confirmation email I got after reserving in store, it said that right-hand drive (RHD) markets would come after everywhere else. What's not clear is whether this refers to all pre-reveal orders, or to all orders between now and the start of production, or something else. The other things at play are that existing Tesla owners will get priority (not me), and that those ordering higher specced cars will also get priority (not me either).

So thats the bad news. The good news, as we all know, is the increased production ramp plans and Elons bombshell that Tesla intend to produce 100-200k cars in Q4 of 2017. That is a lot of cars. Elon has also tweeted that he thinks pre-reveal reservations should be fulfilled by the end of 2017. Whether he meant worldwide, including RHD markets is unclear.

TL;DR - Early indications were that it would a long wait for RHD cars; latest news looks a bit rosier, but picture still unclear. I estimate early summer 2018 for mine.

• What UK government subsidies will be available for BEV's in 2018?
The existing UK subsidy in the UK is £4500 off the cost of the vehicle, and this is at the time the car is ordered and money changes hands. The Office for Low Emission Vehicles stated late in 2015 that this subsidy is guaranteed at least until March 2018. However, they have stated that the amount will be re-considered when 40k BEVs are sold, which will be before March 2018.

The grant dropped from £5000 to £4500 in April, and I would hope any further drop by 2018 would only be by another £500, to £4k. After March 2018 who knows, but the OLEV have made committments to elecrtic vehicles until 2020, so I would hope there is still a subsidy in place.

TL;DR - UK grant should still be around throughout 2018, and be £2-4k.

• What charging plug will be on the UK/European cars.
Tesla's in the UK have the Type 2 connector, which means they can use the Supercharger network, as well as the Type 2 AC slow-ish chargers scattered around the country. However, for fast DC charging the only option is the supercharging network, which has few sites in the UK, and only 1 in Scotland. The CHAdeMO "bazooka" adapter is an option, but is a far from elegant solution.

I'm hoping that European cars have the CCS port, which is basically the type 2 connector with two fat pins directly below it. This would give the cars all the existing chaging capabilities using the type 2 connector, as well as fast DC fast charging via CCS. CCS as a standard seems to be gaining more traction than CHAdeMO in Europe, and to me seems like the best option.

However, Elon has stated his distaste for the CCS plug, and it would probably mean that the M3 would need a more traditional "flap" rather than the snazzy opening on the MS and MX.

TL;DR - I think the M3 should come with a CCS port for greatest charging flexibility in the UK and Europe.

Anyway, would be grateful for any thoughts, corrections, or different views to those above.

Reactions: EV Guy and Jayc
I'll reply to you Smythey.

I hope I get mine by 2018, we have a lease running out on a Volvo V40 at the end of the year and was tempted to go with an Audi RS3 to replace it but adding options got us to a car that cost £52k which whilst we can afford it is just taking the piss from an Audi point of view. Our other car is a Q5 which is still quite low mileage so we might just try and run one car while we wait for the Tesla. We placed our reservation for the M3 in the middle of April so unfortunately will be way down the list.

I hope Elon and his production ramp up promises ring true!

Where in the UK are you based? Have you driven a Tesla before?

I'm in Scotland; I test drove a Model S 70D earlier in the year and was blown away. It's a bit big (and expensive), but I loved everything else about it. I was already thinking about getting an electric car, and the test drive made my current car feel like an antiquated old clunker.

I reserved on the fourth and pretty much assigned myself to the fact I'd be looking at a 2019/2020 delivery date and any government scheme would be long dead and buried by then. Optimistic for a 2018 delivery now, but figure it'll be the end of or creeping into 2019. Who knows, it'll get here when it gets here.

On the plus side at least we know it'll be well tested by that point.

Reactions: nexsuperne101
I reserved on the 12th, so I will be towards the top end of number 300,000ish. I am not bothered by the grant. I had a hit on that with the Nissan Leaf. The previous poster is right, it will be dead and buried by the time my top spec M3 gets delivered, in 2018/19/20, let alone the cheaper versions. As for the CCS Idea, the Ecotricity chargers hardly ever have them, or a BMW i3 will be using the only one available. The Chademo adaptor may be ugly, but it works. More to the point, the Ecotricity rapids are about to start a paying service, which makes it a very expensive option compared to the free Tesla superchargers

I'm in Scotland; I test drove a Model S 70D earlier in the year and was blown away. It's a bit big (and expensive), but I loved everything else about it. I was already thinking about getting an electric car, and the test drive made my current car feel like an antiquated old clunker.

What did you like about MS compared to your current car, I assume current car is comparable in size? Just asking to try gauge differences immediately noticeable in the transition to EV.

Here in the UK, we like our B & C segment cars so MS does appear larger than average but in the US, I don't think that difference is noticed. I did not test drive MS to avoid getting disappointed when M3 finally arrives :)

Last edited:
Tesla have recently joined the CharIn group as a core member. CharIn is currently defining the CCS 2.0 standard, so I would hope that Model 3 is CCS 2.0 compliant (or CCS 2.0 is Model 3 compliant, lol)

It is notable that none of the Model 3 prototypes that we have seen so far have an external charging port - the port is in the boot!

• Helpful
Reactions: smythey
The grant dropped from £5000 to £4500 in April, and I would hope any further drop by 2018 would only be by another £500, to £4k. After March 2018 who knows, but the OLEV have made committments to elecrtic vehicles until 2020, so I would hope there is still a subsidy in place.

TL;DR - UK grant should still be around throughout 2018, and be £2-4k.

What makes you think this? Having looked into it, the government guidance is pretty clear - the grant ends no later than March 2017:

"5.3 Future review of grant levels
The grant will be maintained at the current levels until March 2017, or until a prescribed number of each type of vehicle have been sold, whichever is sooner."

Plug-in car grant eligibility guidance - GOV.UK

What did you like about MS compared to your current car, I assume current car is comparable in size? Just asking to try gauge differences immediately noticeable in the transition to EV.

Here in the UK, we like our B & C segment cars so MS does appear larger than average but in the US, I don't think that difference is noticed. I did not test drive MS to avoid getting disappointed when M3 finally arrives :)

In order, the things that struck me were: Wow, this is quiet.....Wow, this is fast.....Wow, this handles great.....Wow, this is easy to drive.

The lack of gears and one pedal driving is intoxicating; I got used to it in about 5 minutes and never wanted to go back. I would definitely recommend test driving an S if you get a chance.

Reactions: Jayc
What makes you think this? Having looked into it, the government guidance is pretty clear - the grant ends no later than March 2017:

"5.3 Future review of grant levels
The grant will be maintained at the current levels until March 2017, or until a prescribed number of each type of vehicle have been sold, whichever is sooner."

Plug-in car grant eligibility guidance - GOV.UK

I believe that is in reference to the existing grant of £4500. They have also said:
"The grant will continue well beyond the latest guarantee of February 2016 until at least the end of March 2018....."

So the grant amount may well drop sometime this/next year, but hopefully not by too much (I'm hoping it will be enough to pay for multi-coat paint and autopilot!) :D

BTW has anyone had a look at Model S options pricing here in the UK and compared to US prices?

* AWD : £4400

* 70D -> 75D range upgrade : £2850

* Autopilot : £2600

* SubZero : £850

* Air Suspension : £2200

Seems a bit excessive.

BTW has anyone had a look at Model S options pricing here in the UK and compared to US prices?

Seems a bit excessive.

Tesla's USD pricing is before taxes. The GBP price includes VAT.

AWD = £3666.67 without VAT, giving an exchange rate of $1 = £0.73

The spot rate on XE.COM right now is $1 = £0.69.

So which part is excessive?

@J1mbo when you put it that way it does seem quite reasonable, thanks for clarifying.

I am dreading the possibility of going over £40k with AWD + Battery + subzero options on Model 3 and then to end up paying a road tax surcharge. Hoping Tesla GB will be mindful of this when pricing but then, there is only so much they can do I guess.

@J1mbo when you put it that way it does seem quite reasonable, thanks for clarifying.

I am dreading the possibility of going over £40k with AWD + Battery + subzero options on Model 3 and then to end up paying a road tax surcharge. Hoping Tesla GB will be mindful of this when pricing but then, there is only so much they can do I guess.

I reserved on April 1st...Im just trying not to anticipate when it will happen, so as to avoid dissapointment.
Model S test drive highly recommended!

On another note, does anyone know why CCS even exists, as it is an extension to the type 2 connector, but the type 2 already supports DC charging. Is it due to charging rates? If tesla can DC supercharge via a type 2, I just don't understand why CCS exists...

Seems a bit excessive.

Options for the Model 3 will be less (although UK buyers will still get the shaft compared to the US). I'm guessing M3 options will be 75% the cost of those for the Model S. Elon tweeted that the M3 AWD option will not cost as much as the MS; I think a 25% reduction still allows for a healthy profit margin keeping in mind the economies of scale that will accrue for M3 over time.

I am hoping that it will be possible to choose some of the options after purchase (e.g. AP activation, SC access, maybe battery capacity unlocking). By having these post purchase it may be possible to get a good spec car in the UK and keep it under £40k initial purchase price.
I wonder if Tesla Europe will be flexible enough to slow some smart options in the UK to help with this.