Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model S improvements from test drive car to collected car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I collected my car, which I ordered on 1st Sept 2014; after a test drive a few weeks earlier. On collection I have noticed a few differences between the test drive car and my car.

1. Auto pilot hardware has been added.

2. The center console has now got a cloth finish to the base, so your items don't slide around like they did on my test drive.

3. The indicator stick has been switched with the cruise control and works better IMHO.

4. Six parking sensors to both front and rear bumper so covers the sides, as apposed to four on the tested car.

5. The center console has a shelf in the top middle, under the dashboard that can hold two mini iPods nicely. (please feel free to correct me if this was on the earlier model s , I can't remember seeing it, but I could have missed it).

6. Cargo net in the funck covering the area where the second motor would go in the D model. ( again I maybe wrong and my test drive car may have had this, but I don't believe it did).

I'm sure there maybe many other differences that as yet I haven't noticed. Maybe others new owners can help me list them here?

Last edited:
Yesterday I collected my car, which I ordered on 1st Sept 2014; after a test drive a few weeks earlier. On collection I have noticed a few differences between the test drive car and my car.

1. Auto pilot hardware has been added.

2. The center console has now got a cloth finish to the base, so your items don't slide around like they did on my test drive.

3. The indicator stick has been switched with the cruise control and works better IMHO.

4. Six parking sensors to both front and rear bumper so covers the sides, as apposed to four on the tested car.

5. The center console has a shelf in the top middle, under the dashboard that can hold two mini iPods nicely. (please feel free to correct me if this was on the earlier model s , I can't remember seeing it, but I could have missed it).

6. Cargo net in the funck covering the area where the second motor would go in the D model. ( again I maybe wrong and my test drive car may have had this, but I don't believe it did).

I'm sure there maybe many other differences that as yet I haven't noticed. Maybe others new owners can help me list them here?

1, and 4 are definitely additions.

2 mine has a carpety / cloth. Did your test drive car have the yacht floor stuff?

3 would be good. I personally find the cruise fiddly. I think Mercedes have also swapped so this may be part of the reason. My mates ML has them in the same layout as my car, but his SL has them the same way as the new ones.

5 Mine has a shelf under the screen if that's what you are referring to. It would easily hold a couple of phones /ipads, but be warned stuff can fly out violently ;)

6. Mine didn't come with one. It does have the hooks for it. Maybe they are now FOC? TBH I never uses the frunk.

Re point 2 the car you tested obviously had the optional "yacht floor" which is a piece of trim matching the dash (wood/piano/carbon fibre) and with rubber lines on it to stop things sliding around. It's now part of the premium interior pack but used to cost £700. It isn't worth the extra!

Pretty sure the cubby below the centre display has always been there. However when you put your foot down whatever's in it will come flying out, sadly.

I didn't get a cargo net :( I guess they have changed and are now supplying them for free.

In addition there will be tons of other changes relating to autopilot that you won't have noticed (and perhaps never will). The car has a different brake system, steering column, steering system, sensors all around, front radar sensor, front facing camera, new higher resolution instrument cluster display, etc etc etc.

Enjoy!!