Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model Y Order Book Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neat. Though another Tesla feature that didn’t work: ‘keep me updated’. No emails in my inbox about Model Y ordering in the U.K.

Pesky, I have an order for a Model X ‘delivery end 2022’.

Now, whether to order a Y to replace my Model S in ‘early’ 2022 and delay delivery of the X until late 2023 to replace our Model 3 and then swap over. Or just have about a year of a Model 3 between us. 🤔

Reactions: kelvin 660
Neat. Though another Tesla feature that didn’t work: ‘keep me updated’. No emails in my inbox about Model Y ordering in the U.K.

Pesky, I have an order for a Model X ‘delivery end 2022’.

Now, whether to order a Y to replace my Model S in ‘early’ 2022 and delay delivery of the X until late 2023 to replace our Model 3 and then swap over. Or just have about a year of a Model 3 between us. 🤔
Seems there aren’t any Tesla finance options for the Y.

What other options do folks suggest?

If the initial cars are Made in China ones then is it safe to assume it won't be the 4680 battery cells? We are so close to these reaching production it seems insane to buy a car that does not have them
I agree. That said I placed an order. Once we know where the initial batches coming to the UK are manufactured and what batteries are in it I will decide whether to proceed or delay delivery for later builds.

If the initial cars are Made in China ones then is it safe to assume it won't be the 4680 battery cells? We are so close to these reaching production it seems insane to buy a car that does not have them
The Berlin ones are not going to have 4680 or structural battery packs to begin with either, that has been confirmed by Elon, they could be quite a while away too.

The Berlin ones are not going to have 4680 or structural battery packs to begin with either, that has been confirmed by Elon, they could be quite a while away too.
This is my understanding as well. I’m happy to take the established 2170 tech and manufacturing process in Shanghai for a few years whilst they get their legs under them in Berlin and Austin and then get a new one then. They hold their value so well that it makes this feasible.

Finance options will appear between now and when it's closer to being delivered, I imagine.

I don't know why people thought this would be coming from Berlin. Shanghai is tooled up for RHD cars, it's closer to the RHD markets (UK is an outlier). Berlin will service Europe which is all LHD.

I guess it is possible in the future that Berlin will end up making RHD cars for the UK, but I presume it would come down to a simple calculus about how much it costs to transport cars from Shanghai to the UK vs the logistics and costs of tooling for one market.

Reactions: PrGrPa and init6
Moderator comment - thread merged from "The UK model Y order thread"

Hi all,

UK orders are open for Model Y on Tesla.com.

Have your ordered yours yet, if so - congrats.. what did you order?

I just ordered our Long Range in white with black interior. It will replace our 2019 Model 3 SR+

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Skeewiff
The problems I have with the Y at the moment is they have much lower range than 3, and they’re £6.5k more, plus I’d have to have the 20” induction wheels which adds another £2.1k, and they’re slower so I would have to add the acceleration boost for £1.5k, so that’s £10k more in total!!

I will probably get a Y in a couple of years time, when they have the 4680s and have come down in price.

£54k seems a lot for a range halfway between the model 3 SR+ and LR. So around 250 miles real world? Feels like (SC network aside) this is a much more competitive space for crossover/small SUVs than the model 3 faced.

Those considering buying (or already ordered) - what others have you looked at?

Assume this is just the way it's rendered but anyone else noticed the headlights are different between the LR and P

Model 3 has no difference between the SR, LR & P in the renders.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 09.50.04.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 09.50.04.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 09.49.46.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-15 at 09.49.46.png
    276.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon