Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model Y Order Book Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I find the range to be quite disappointing and enough so that I haven't ordered when I intended to order on day 1. I have a M3LR rated for 360mi, highest I've seen during 100% is 338mi and in the cold weather on a long trip it's 200-250mi at best. I wanted to go for the MYP but going down to 298 would be too much for me. Hopefully either they upgrade all to 82kwh (or 90) batteries/find weight improvements/savings with the new MY. 298mi just doesn't cut it for £70k imo.
+1 for that.

I was holding out for a MY originally but gave up waiting in June this year. No regrets with the M3LR but your version of the MY might be a choice next time round. Oh, and add air suspension too while you're at it, sorted car then.

I’m hoping the range details currently shown are conservative ‘worst case’ while Tesla figure what configuration UK cars will get. Also hoping by the time the YP goes into production in potentially 8 months time improvements have been made. Another reason to potentially hold out for a YP.

I’m hoping the range details currently shown are conservative ‘worst case’ while Tesla figure what configuration UK cars will get. Also hoping by the time the YP goes into production in potentially 8 months time improvements have been made. Another reason to potentially hold out for a YP.
For the Y LR it's the WLTP range that's quoted, so it'll almost certainly be lower than that in daily use.

I will potentially wait 12-24 months for a MYP, by then the structural improvements and battery improvements may be in the German or MIC Ys which I would hope gets it north of 350 WLTP for the P. Happy with the range on my 3LR but couldn't go lower.

Did anyone get a 3LR and had a pang of regret when driving past a 3P? I can honestly say I did. I only went for the LR for the tow hitch, which I’ve never used. Strange to feel this way. I wonder if this will be the same for the Y. It’s a different segment so maybe not. However, I’ve gone for a YP, as you can have a tow hitch too. That I will never use.
No. We got an SR+ and, just like my 75D, the acceleration is sufficient while the wheels and tyres are fine for typical roads.

Wondered about getting the Model Y P but figured the same: it’s enough and the extra acceleration, fancier wheels, and discomfort aren’t worth it to me. YMMV.

Reactions: Js1977
LR from China have been the poor relation compared to LR from Fremont and my guess is the same battery as the M3.

360 v 315 does look odd tough as in the US its 353 v 326 on the EPA test cycle unless WLTP is particularly hard on the numbers due to the cars size.

There's something about the competition that I can't quite put my finger on. It's like they do their usual things (build quality, materials, etc) well enough, often better than Tesla, but the final product is just off somehow. It's like they all lack a certain je nai sais quoi.

It sortof reminds me of the assortment of Android phones you can get, running their respective manufacturer-customised software. If you happen to gel with them, then it's ok, but if you don't, and if you've had experience of other stuff that "just works" - suddenly the discordant nature of them really sticks out. It's like - none of the phones are bad in their own right - but something about them is missing.

The UIs in these cars in particular feel like they haven't really moved on. They have bells and whistles, HUDs and such (which would be nice in a Tesla) but the fundamentals are stuck in the past. I also have strong doubts about how much the old school manufacturers will be pushing customers to carry on following the usual "service", "checkup", "inspection" intervals, just to maintain that secondary revenue stream. Tesla don't do that - they don't tell you that you need to spend money unnecessarily.

People have been saying the competition have been coming for years, and whilst it's true there is more to choose from now, they still seem to be stilted and anachronistic.
My wife has an ID3, and I totally agree with what you’re saying here. Many things about the ID3 are very nice - it’s built better than my 3, it rides better, and it’s quieter in the cabin, but interacting with it is just as frustrating as hell compared to the Tesla! In VW’s case, the main culprit I think is that they stuck with their old ECU model where lots of the car’s features are delegated to ECUs scattered about the car, each one being subcontracted out to Bosch or whoever. As a result, the overall software is a hotch potch of stuff they have little control over - and then the infotainment feels like it was designed in the Windows 95 era (and performs like it too)!

Last edited:
Well I was planning to swap my Model 3 for a Y but switching the wife's car for a new vehicle is currently in progress so the Model Y will have to wait. I'm now just over 2 years into my Model 3 ownership and love it but would like the hatchback practicality of the Y.

So, I'll keep my Model 3 for the next 2 years of warranty cover and the fact I have lifetime premium connectivity is an additional benefit over a new Y.

Should be really interesting to see where things are at in 2 years in terms of Model Y battery, Tesla supercharger network being open to all or closed etc. If it's open I will certainly look at alternatives. The supercharger network is a major selling point for Tesla in my humble opinion.
A technician at a Tesla store told me couple of weeks ago that Tesla has no plans to open supercharges to all because the demand is booming and they want to prioritise customers. Which makes sense. At this speed existing supercharger stations will become quite busy with Teslas very soon, so opening them to all will immediately negatively impact Tesla owners.

Should be really interesting to see where things are at in 2 years in terms of Model Y battery, Tesla supercharger network being open to all or closed etc. If it's open I will certainly look at alternatives. The supercharger network is a major selling point for Tesla in my humble opinion.
Its a fair comment if it applies to you but how many long tesla owners (myself included) have ever seen a supercharger in person or how often? . Yes, its a nice thought that they exist should one need it but other than that and if they didn't exist, ie. had to use the same chargers as every other, I would of still bought a tesla as it fits my needs, again imho.

A technician at a Tesla store told me couple of weeks ago that Tesla has no plans to open supercharges to all because the demand is booming and they want to prioritise customers. Which makes sense. At this speed existing supercharger stations will become quite busy with Teslas very soon, so opening them to all will immediately negatively impact Tesla owners.
They need to communicate whatever they do clearly, or you'll just get people in other brands plugging in and clogging up the Supercharger stations when they aren't actually getting anything.

Its a fair comment if it applies to you but how many long tesla owners (myself included) have ever seen a supercharger in person or how often? . Yes, its a nice thought that they exist should one need it but other than that and if they didn't exist, ie. had to use the same chargers as every other, I would of still bought a tesla as it fits my needs, again imho.

Its a fair point. I’d say that 90% of my charging is done at home. I use the supercharger network perhaps once or twice per month, on regular trips up to Scotland, or when driving somewhere for work. Of course for the majority of my ownership (bought my Model 3 in Sept 2019) work related travelling has been cut down due to lockdown, I’d imagine in “normal“ times I’d use the network a bit more. But even then, I’d still say 80% of my charging would be at home. But for that 10-20%, the Tesla supercharger network really is superb when I compare it to alternatives and it’s still a benefit that draws me to Tesla vs other EVs that I really like the look of - Ioniq 5, EV6 and some of those coming out of the German manufacturers.

Reactions: PrGrPa and pdk42
I agree. That said I placed an order. Once we know where the initial batches coming to the UK are manufactured and what batteries are in it I will decide whether to proceed or delay delivery for later builds.
I’ve done the same. I got a notification saying they were open to order at 1002 and had ordered by 1006 so one of the early ones. However, I am waiting to see if it has the air suspension and 4680s as it shows delivery as mid 2022 I assume it will come from Berlin. Fingers crossed

I have a MY on order and i intend to use Lloyds to PCP it. They now have the Model Y on their finance quote page. Given the figures they must see the Y as retaining it's value,
Purchase price: 56100
deposit: £15000
mileage : 15000
apr 4.9%
comes out at circa £447 a month over 49months, with around 26k bubble at the end. This makes it cheaper monthly than my current leased M3, although i appreciate the deposit is much larger! It surprised me as the quote was at 580 a month before selecting the model Y.

For those with M3s and MY incoming you might be interested to know that as we are away in Australia during Jan/Feb 22 I decided to sell my 71 reg M3LR with 3k miles before MY arrives and sold it on Saturday via WBAC for significantly more than I paid for it new in September. They in fact gave me £400 more than their original offer saying the value had risen over the previous 4 days.

Morning all.

MY order placed earlier this month (via Britannia Car Leasing/ Hitachi lease) earlier this month. I'm replacing my Audi Q5 and have been waiting on something slightly larger than the M3, so given the financial benefits of being able to lease this through my company (I'm going to save about £250 a month before fuel savings compared to my Q5) and the size made it the perfect option. Slightly nervous that I haven't seen one in person but have test driven the M3 and was happy and I don't do a huge amount of miles a year.

What are peoples expectations are around delivery. I know the Tesla website says early 2022 but speaking with the chap at Tesla Cambridge his view was the the whole UK Q1 allocation of Ys was sold out within a week of going on sale in October so early 2022 might actually mean Q2.

Z