Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Octopus: Electric Juice Network

Interested?

• Yes

Votes: 57 91.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got email - looks like rfid cards being dispatched

And a new partner

Franklin Energy

We’re also welcoming Franklin onboard this week, as they add their public LiFe Network of fast chargers to the Electric Juice Network. Franklin operates across the UK with a strong presence in the north, particularly near Liverpool and across to York, with all chargers powered by Octopus’s 100% renewable energy.

It will live and die by how many of the charging networks participate.

There is a benefit to them in having you as a direct customer; they have your details, a business need to use them, etc. What benefit do the likes of Pod-point or Polar get from having Octopus as the "face" of their charging infrastructure?

It's a good idea - one of the most annoying things I've found with public charging is keeping on top of which apps are used for what, which ones need to be topped up and which ones are PAYG, etc, all with different degrees of user friendliness in their phone apps, if they even have a phone app at all - but I suspect it will be one of those niche things, for niche charging networks (I've never heard of Char.gy before).

I hope I'm wrong.

The benefit to charging networks is that they get more customers to use their chargers, and if this is through Octopus, these customers are BEV owners who can charge at home, so aren't likely to need much DCFC anyway.

But if Octopus has to add a convenience fee, there's still an opportunity for capture as if you become a regular user of a particular charger, you're more likely to get the RFID and app.

It really amazed me that so many networks need an RFID card. Imagine needing a separate card to fill your ICE car at Shell vs Esso vs BP etc!

How did these networks not learn from a simple pay at the pump model that works so well?

Reactions: Js1977
Zap-Map has a bit of an edge as they’re live now and in-your-face in their find-a-charger app many people already use. The winner will be the one which gets cheap rates - look at the rise and fall of Maingau re Ionity.

I'm directly involved in the Zap-Pay initiative on the Zap-Map app so I can, with good authority, say that this is their biggest priority for the next 18 months. There is a solid pipeline of networks wanting to join and the commercials and contracts are being worked through at good pace. With most networks, bar one, asking for how they can get on board albeit some are more interested than others!

Meanwhile the early technical teething issues are being sorted one by one this week, with a healthy list of improvements in the backlog to make the experience as tight as possible. The team are working really hard and any constructive feedback is welcome on your experience or ideas.

In terms of networks there is a desire to ensure that they get to a UK backbone ASAP (i.e. a portfolio of Rapid chargers that cover most major routes from a cross section of networks). This will be combined with metro level coverage like ESB in London and now the big roll out in Birmingham.

Feature Wise the interesting stuff in payment (Zap-Pay) and real time availability and charge status, once you have critical mass, will come in the route planning that will get a complete rebuild.

Whilst contactless will change the game, as will plug and charge, there are 20k charge points live and only a fraction have contactless and even less have prototype pre standards plug and charge. So the existing network will be with us a long time and the owners need more users to help them get their costs back.

Even when there is contactless more common, I believe the added benefits you will get from Zap-Map will make it a good choice for a lot of frequent users; especially once we see their platform integrated into the non Tesla EV OEM Nav solutions.

I hope that helps.

Is Zap-Pay enabling plug & charge for these networks? That would be a game changer.

It is really early doors with the standards and how they will be adopted and when, but I think it will move quite quickly with new installations from potentially late 2021 onwards. Retrofits though will be very sketchy and hardware vendor specific.

I certainly believe there is a role to be played in working alongside the open standards to represent the EV owner separate from a specific networks. It's a logical next step for Zap-Pay, but let's get this current step right first!

• Helpful
Reactions: NewbieT
Am I missing something here. As a Tesla owner, why between home charging, tesla supercharger network and a multitude of free destination chargers would I find this necessary (unless I was planning a long trip across Wales of course, well known for lack of superchargers)

Am I missing something here. As a Tesla owner, why between home charging, tesla supercharger network and a multitude of free destination chargers would I find this necessary (unless I was planning a long trip across Wales of course, well known for lack of superchargers)

That's pretty accurate.

Tesla owners need this far far less than the owners of any other EV. In fact dependent on where you live and travel too, you might find you would never need this as a Tesla owner. Wales like you say is the dark side of the moon for EV charging in general regardless of Tesla.

However if I owned any other EV, then it's essential if you travel beyond the range of your car in a return trip, unless you go to the same places you know and are familiar with the local charging.

Increasingly as I don't have free Supercharging I will look to other networks where convenient though. Only this last week I used the InstaVolt chargers in Windermere (as I was in Windermere not just passing through) to avoid a 30min detour to the Superchargers further up the M6 that were in the wrong direction to me to head home. Brilliant chargers and next to a nice Booths with good coffee. So it still has it's uses despite me driving Teslas for the best part of 4 years now.

Here’s a good podcast from Saturday about Zap-Pay. Martyn talks to Ben Lane (Zap-Map CTO/MD)

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...tric-car-podcast/id1340970714?i=1000491049890

Good podcast, although Ben did go into details that might be beyond what a lot of EV drivers might need. He is driving a lot of the narrative on this personally and doing a great job. It's harder than you would think to get this to work even with the standards, as there are lots of issues with the implementations not doing what they say on the tin. I've used it and it was pretty seamless other than having to get my card out as I couldn't remember my CVV, which is a must to verify the card...

Last edited: