Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Only - Tesla Energy Plan/Octopus Energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that is an interesting observation John. I think my value will be about £400 per year so thought it was worth a try. I will be looking to see how much they actually use the battery in the first year and then decide whether to continue.

Keep us updated with your experience with Tesla energy.

Now your not charging overnight, maybe put the reserve at 10% not 0% until you see what’s going on, you don’t want the battery sat flat for extended periods.

I'm about to try to switch to this too - recently had a heat pump installed (unplanned boiler implosion after I'd arranged for solar / powerwall), so we use a lot of power on cold days (at least compared to what we used to), so a flat 8p is very appealing on cold overcast days with high agile prices.

Update is nothing to report really, My faulty meter was swapped out and now needs to be commissioned. I won't be able to see import and export until this is completed in the next week or so

With so little sun is the last few days I have left the battery sitting with 5% in reserve and there is no sign of any "remote control" taking place.

Octopus updated my import and export end dates today at my request so that they co-terminate next year.

They told me that the In House Display will catch up in the future to show the import and export separately.

I am happy with the situation

The IHD6 supplied with my Kaifa meter replacement does not show exported energy, nor does it show the export tariff. I do not think that the IHD 6 has this capability.

Update is nothing to report really, My faulty meter was swapped out and now needs to be commissioned. I won't be able to see import and export until this is completed in the next week or so

With so little sun is the last few days I have left the battery sitting with 5% in reserve and there is no sign of any "remote control" taking place.

Smart meters are commissioned when they are installed. My Account was showing data the following day for the new electricity meter. My gas meter failed the commissioning process as it times out after 59 minutes. I got an email from Octopus asking me to press the two buttons required to restart the process. I now have complete import and export data for both meters.

I was on the 8p import & export tariffs a week after the powerwall install (I was already on octopus tariffs for both imports and exports so I assume that meant less work for them).

I lost access to the settings in the app about a week later, followed up by an email confirming that everything was now complete. The dominant behaviour is similar to what I was doing anyway - charging in the wee hours of the morning and discharging around 4pm-7pm but with some differences:

- it doesn't always charge to 100% overnight. It may be making some guesses around the solar it might expect (or maybe I'm giving it too much credit). it will generally top up either from grid or solar during the day (& before peak)
- it sometimes discharges a bit in the morning around 7.30-8am
- it will sometimes export during peak

Smart meter things the import rate is a bit over 10p (same as it did when I was on agile) - I get that prices changes every half hour might be a bit much for the IHD, but not sure why it can't cope with a flat 8p

I was on the 8p import & export tariffs a week after the powerwall install (I was already on octopus tariffs for both imports and exports so I assume that meant less work for them).

I lost access to the settings in the app about a week later, followed up by an email confirming that everything was now complete. The dominant behaviour is similar to what I was doing anyway - charging in the wee hours of the morning and discharging around 4pm-7pm but with some differences:

- it doesn't always charge to 100% overnight. It may be making some guesses around the solar it might expect (or maybe I'm giving it too much credit). it will generally top up either from grid or solar during the day (& before peak)

Smart meter things the import rate is a bit over 10p (same as it did when I was on agile) - I get that prices changes every half hour might be a bit much for the IHD, but not sure why it can't cope with a flat 8p

Can I ask what sort of daily churn you are getting; ie, charge versus discharge? The only problem that I have with the Tesla Plan (apart from not really understanding it) is that ‘generators’ have been getting over a £1 KWh recently during Agile peak periods. Someone is making quite a lot of money out of this Plan. In my view, the PW2 model has two key weaknesses: one, I cannot set a minimum overnight charge and, two, I cannot force the PW2 to discharge to the Grid.

It's about 1 powerwall's worth - yesterday was 14.8 out, 16.4 in. Some days are a bit less, eg 10.8 out, 12.4 in on saturday

It works out for me I think - my home has a heat pump so not that easy to keep consumption low in peak period (even with the powerwall - the heat pump will burst to >10kW when it's cold).

It's about 1 powerwall's worth - yesterday was 14.8 out, 16.4 in. Some days are a bit less, eg 10.8 out, 12.4 in on saturday

It works out for me I think - my home has a heat pump so not that easy to keep consumption low in peak period (even with the powerwall - the heat pump will burst to >10kW when it's cold).

Thanks. That is quite an amount of energy transfer. I just wonder what effect it is having on long-term battery life.

Unless Tesla have modified their night time charging algorithm then it's based on what solar generation and household consumption during the previous few days with perhaps some seasonal average added to the mix. It regularly gets caught out when the weather changes from sunny to murky. Sensibly, Tesla would tap into one of the solar generation forecasting models although even those struggle with the UK's variable weather.

They’re billed separately - I have one section on the bill for imports and one for exports.

On the imports section the unit price is 7.62p, so that once they add VAT it is 8p per kWh.

On the exports there is no VAT, so it’s just 8p per kWh

I have been on the Octopus Tesla Lite tariff for a couple of months now and am in two minds about it.
Apart from a cock up where WPD swapped over the MPAN# and my use was showing as export for a few weeks it seems to be working as expected.
It does hammer the batteries. There is no benefit in having my three PW2s as opposed to a singleton.
It is true that it is a rather basic dumb tariff. It doesn't appear to react to anticipated PV gain.
It doesn't appear to react to grid stress/wholesale prices.
Neither does it appear to react to FFR.
All it appears to do is dump everything @2kW / PW2 to the grid at 16:00 until the batteries reach their 20% reservation limit.

I don't know if Octopus or Tesla manage the system but I can think of a number of basic improvements

Not impressed.

Mine was like that at first but it has been a lot more variable in its behaviour as of late. It commonly discharges for a bit around 7-8am for example and today it only charged to about 50% overnight (and today ended being pretty sunny)

the overnight charging used to always being a single block of how ever long it takes to fill the thing, but now it’s often spread into two or more chunks over the night (driven by what I don’t know).

Yes, I have started to see small exports around breakfast time but it is still whacking it up to 100% from the grid most mornings and going on to export most of the PV around the middle of the day as the batteries is full by then.
If it goes on like this I'll have three EOL PW2s well before their warranties expire.