Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Owner looking to sell - advice requested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A colleague of mine is looking to sell her red 2010 Roadster which was one of the 250 special edition European edition, purchased new. It has a carbon fibre roof and the usual soft top option, rear parking sensors and has recently had a new motor and PEM.

The mileage is 9681 - it really has been owned by one careful lady owner!

If i had not bought a (2012) Roadster myself a couple of years ago I would have been tempted to buy it; as it is, 2 Roadsters would seem excessive. Two questions:

1. How does she get an estimate of fair value for the car?

2. Any advice on how / where she should best sell it?

I have tried to persuade her to hang on to the car....I think she has reached an age where she finds that she doesn't use it much so it makes sense to look for a new owner who will love, and use, the car.

Not sure I can be of any help as tried twice, tentatively, to sell mine with no luck. Asking prices for a 2.5 seem to be about $70K here but there seems to be scant few sales and we rarely find out the actual sales price. It would be interesting to see what others say. At a minimum I would post it under Tesla for Sale.

The Euro Sig 250s were all 2.0 models, right?
  1. Cost | Impossible to gauge w/o actual sales numbers. FWIW, there were some discussions here about #002 which went to auction in Oct '16. Perhaps that's a good barometer from which to work?
  2. How/Where to Sell | +1 to what @dhrivnak recommended: Tesla for Sale and provide photos... lots of photos as well as PDFs of the service records. Wouldn't hurt to also try SpeakEV Classifieds.

• Informative
Reactions: ICON
Suggest pistonheads in UK > Used Tesla Roadster cars for sale with PistonHeads
Currently there appears to be a roadster for sale, BUT it is a miss classified Model S....

I suggest that a very detailed description of the roadster is given as it is so rare in UK (c 50) .. that will explain / introduce its benefits to intelligent petrolheads, who may simply not have heard of it ... seriously !
eg specs, 0-60's, drag videos vs porsches.

Also having some Elise underpinnings (for handling) + Carbon fibre body + electric torque will now be positive, now tesla is established and elises/exiges/evoras are noted as out handling most other 'sports car's.
Its a convertible too !

This is all obvious to us, but at time of its introduction Roadster was v expensive £90K to £130 in UK, non-mainstream, from a tiny new US startup .. :) < How things have changed .. but 'Pistonheads' may have short memories and only remember these headlines.
I'd pitch it realistically at £55K to £65K .. (assuming all perfect, good CAC etc.) as above, imho, they are not quite, yet, in the 'collectible' category (ie selling for more than original price) .. if a share, it would be a 'hold'.

Terribly difficult to price in the UK.

For a weekend toy, we are spoilt for choice with the various Elise platform Lotuses, which unlike in the US are still on sale. Hand on heart as much as I'd love a Tesla Roadster for the novelty, the more "modern" Exige V6 is a better proposition unless you are dead set on electric. To give you a point of reference: Fully loaded, 3 years warranty, 3 years servicing, mine was £60k on 0% finance.

For a commuter the Model S is a better choice, and I'd realistically value my UK launch Model S 60 at £30-35k in private sale , with <20k miles and still a year's worth of bumper to bumper warranty. This is only going to further limit UK Roadster prices :(

You might be able to find an owner willing to pay a premium for it over a used S, probably a UK Model S/X owner. In which case I'd pitch it somewhere between the Lotus and Tesla, at £45k.

I'm with @Mark77a in saying they aren't quite at collectable status now, and will continue to test new lows for a few years yet, with the difference between what people are prepared to pay for them, and what people are prepared to sell them for narrowing. I suspect the most sensible thing for any current owner is to hold onto it. As the S/X gains more and more owners, the market for used Roadsters will also grow.

All IMHO, looking at it as a potential buyer.

Thank you to everyone who responded; some very good ideas here and I will advise her accordingly.

Personally, as a Roadster owner, I'm sad that she is looking to part with the car. People's situations change and it's mileage suggests it is inadequately used.

I'm on the lookout for a Red RHD roadster and regularly keep an eye out at what comes up. However I'm not in a position to buy just yet but hopefully will be in a few months time.
The last few RHD I've seen sell were £49k blue in 2015, very orange was up for £50k and recent light blue for £46k I think, obviously I don't know what they sold for but the £50k was up for a while. If it's LHD then I'm assuming it would be a lot less as there are more around. Is it RHD?.
I'll keep a lookout for this one coming up for sale, hopefully it won't be too soon. If I don't see it (and it's RHD) I'll get in touch once circumstances change.

'
I assume the car is RHD. The owner lives near london. I've not seen it but knowing her expect it's in super condition and it seems to be low mileage.

With all due respect:

Just to get the facts straight here...

You are asking us to put a price on an exceedingly rare vehicle that is site unseen without images and without service record and to which you do not know if it is right or left hand drive.

Further, you assume the owner is taking care of the vehicle because she 'seems like that sort of person,' and you don't seem worried that low mileage may be due to warranty and performance issues.

Finally, you don't know WHY she is selling the vehicle, and if it is related to problems.

:/

TOBASH

Actually I was asking how to get an indication of fair value for a Roadster and what channels people use to sell these cars.

I am not trying to sell this one, merely advise a friend how to go about it. If I were trying to sell it I'd have provided a FSH.

I think in the end she might well trade the car in for a Model X.

@simonog If she does trade it in against a Model X, I'd want to go forewarned.

I looked at trading in my Model S for a P90D a little while ago. I have to say it was a little reminiscent of being at any car dealership. Rather than offer me a price upfront, the old "So has anyone else given you a price for it?" question was the first thing out of the SC guys mouth. I fibbed and said I'd been offered more than I thought it was worth, and he immediately took that figure off the advertised price without hesitation.

So at least here there is still an element of horsetrading, especially end of quarter and on inventory cars.

Given that's the case I'd be tempted to get your friend to take the car into Tesla with the higher end of @Mark77a 's range and chance your luck on the deal.