Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Owners with v10?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@vanilla-air
I'm comfortable enough doing 2-button reboots while driving my S - doesn't affect driver controls. Agree wiper (and headlight) autonomy is shite. In crap weather autosteer (as opposed to NOA) can reduce workload - the car will see through it better than you can so an extra eye set. However without a system to clean all side and rear cameras genuine FSD is doomed. In reality there ought to be a duplicate set. Pass one artic in slush and car is blind.

Reactions: Roy W.
I was at super charger for plenty enough time to cancel quite a few times

:)

I don't remember doing it more than once (when first attempt took "forever").

If SatNav cannot get a signal I am only able to enter an address (more structured data entry form than "Navigate" which does a Google-Type Search to find it), so if you are not seeing "Address form" then seems that SatNav did have an internet signal ...

Frustrating ... I would prefer better QA that eliminated the plethora of these types of "snags".

Google wifi looks nice :)

Just noticed if anyone is interested in the Google one, Wickes (Odd place to sell it!, "some 2 x 4 & screws with my wifi router please?") has an offer on £189 for 2

Google Wi-fi Whole Home System White Twin Pack | Wickes.co.uk
I looked at Google WiFi (and many others!) before I settled on the Nova mesh system. To me the Nova seemed much better value. On the phone app you can also see all devices on the network, as well as data flow. It works remotely too, so you can see your network status from anywhere you can connect to the net.

Reactions: davidmc
@vanilla-air
I'm comfortable enough doing 2-button reboots while driving my S - doesn't affect driver controls. Agree wiper (and headlight) autonomy is shite. In crap weather autosteer (as opposed to NOA) can reduce workload - the car will see through it better than you can so an extra eye set. However without a system to clean all side and rear cameras genuine FSD is doomed. In reality there ought to be a duplicate set. Pass one artic in slush and car is blind.

Absolutely hear what you say however I couldn't remember the non brake version of reboot and wasn't going to experiment with it on the move. I had 2 nervous passengers and had already got the 'you do know this is 2 way' comment when driving in centre of the short lane out of the supercharger so in some ways, it took the decision to test AP out of my hands and thought of screen going blank and not knowing what else was many steps too far. Seeing how well AP could detect the lines on screen when I was a passenger in the atrocious conditions implied that it could detect them better than us through the rain, mist, feint road markings and those that simply disappear into the glare and surface water. I am very impressed with that - I just wish I (was passenger at the time) had paid more attention to the circumstances leading up to the brief blind spot unavailable messages other than knowing it was dark, wet, misty and lots of spray from passing cars.

As we have no home charging atm (main RCD tripped when I tried the UMC so that needs more investigation, hopefully its the temp extension cable I tried whilst waiting for proper one with inline RCD), we are living off superchargers so currently visiting all the local ones to see see where they are and what facilities they have.

Yep I also had 2019.32.11 pushed to both my Model X (2019 P100DL) and Model S (2017 P90D) both have FSD.

Only installed on the Model X at the moment (Model S is with my wife on the road really early, so I'll update tonight).

Model X is AP3 and MCU2.

So it does get Netflix and YouTube and Caraoke including the Tesla Help Videos etc
Cup Head Game
No Smart Summon (as well documented not available in the EU)
Dashcam records from the Rear Camera according to release notes, not verified yet by looking at files.
The quiet mode (can't remember it's name now)
App improvements like vent all windows.

AP Visualisations include line markings (inc double yellow lines at the side of the road), seems very good at this; vehicles shown that are travelling in opposite direction on single carriageways.

AP - no positive improvements noticeable in AP performance, but very 'nervous' and lots of breaking in traffic in 3 lanes at low speeds that historically was fine.

Looks like there is not just the difference with MCU1 not getting the entertainment bits, but also AP2.5 not getting rear camera that AP3 gets?

I can confirm we are getting rear camera recording on the AP3 Model X.

As expected V10 on a MCU1 and AP2 Model S is even more underwhelming. As these cars already have Spotify and data, but no hardware for Dashcam or better games/video. The only things are to improve are the visualisations, Joe Mode, navigation/map 'improvements' and software update tweeks.

Vent is still through the sunroof, the Vent button has always been there on the App. Not sure if you have a non pano roof whether you get window vent mode. The model X certainly got it.

Non the less, still awesome to have a car from 2017 that is being updated regularly and continues to improve. As posted previously I'm interested to see what plays out when the AP2 gets swapped for AP3 on the car. i.e. what limitations are MPU1 related versus it being AP2 currently.

I know MPU1 won't be swapped, but will for example we get dashcam and sentry mode (well one that actually records video)? i.e. are these limted by AP rather than MCU. Watch this space as I've again got the yellow banding on the display (already had one swapped out a year ago) so we will see if I get the new AP3 upgrade when it goes in for a service.

A few small but pleasant surprises:

1) You don't need theatre. You can just go to the browser and videos will play there. iPlayer works fine, for example.
2) Hungry and lucky give you different suggestions every time you press them, so if you don't like the suggestion, you can get another one.

A third small but pleasant surprise:
Caraoke works while driving! I was sitting in an awful traffic jam with my daughter this morning, and the combination of auto-pilot doing the stop starting and the caraoke entertaining us transformed the experience from a chore to a pleasure!
I suspect it only works if there is a passenger detected, but I might be wrong.

Vent is still through the sunroof, the Vent button has always been there on the App. Not sure if you have a non pano roof whether you get window vent mode. The model X certainly got it.

The window venting does not work on the S, only 3 & X.

Non the less, still awesome to have a car from 2017 that is being updated regularly and continues to improve. As posted previously I'm interested to see what plays out when the AP2 gets swapped for AP3 on the car. i.e. what limitations are MPU1 related versus it being AP2 currently.

I know MPU1 won't be swapped, but will for example we get dashcam and sentry mode (well one that actually records video)? i.e. are these limted by AP rather than MCU. Watch this space as I've again got the yellow banding on the display (already had one swapped out a year ago) so we will see if I get the new AP3 upgrade when it goes in for a service.

Dashcam & Sentry etc are AP2.5 and onwards, and not linked to the MCU. So if you have an AP2 car but paid for FSD you will get the new AP3/FSD chip, but nothing else. There was a heck of a lot more to AP2.5 than Tesla revealed at the time - redundancy was all they publicly said. Much of this is to do with resolution and colour - AP2 doesn't have any/much/enough - which does make for an interesting conversation about FSD - traffic lights for example???

I looked at Google WiFi (and many others!) before I settled on the Nova mesh system. To me the Nova seemed much better value. On the phone app you can also see all devices on the network, as well as data flow. It works remotely too, so you can see your network status from anywhere you can connect to the net.

In fairness to the Google set up it's the same, the app gives full visibility and the data flow on mobile devices. The only thing that caught me out was Sky Q - this uses a mesh network too and it conflicted with the Google mesh. I had to create a second network using the WiFi in the Draytek (that I'd turned off) and connected Sky to that. Problem solved - but to a non techy it was a hot under the collar moment.

As we have no home charging atm (main RCD tripped when I tried the UMC so that needs more investigation, hopefully its the temp extension cable I tried whilst waiting for proper one with inline RCD)

There was another thread here, not sure if you saw it. Plugging car into 13 AMP tripped everything in the house. Solution was to turn off all (other) distribution panel boxes, car then charged OK, testing by individually turning things back on revealed (just using an example here) that a cooker Hob had to be disabled, and a washing machine had to be unplugged. Once car started charging they could be turned back on.

Haven't see a follow-up but I presume Sparky will review those devices for earth-leakage ... might well be a house fire averted by having detected some shoddy White Goods

to a non techy it was a hot under the collar moment.

I am a techie and I hate the lousy implementation of 99.999% of tech. All the kit you had, which was conflicted, ought to have given you clear indication of what the problem was, so you could resolve it without having to try-this/try-that experiment your way to a solution.

maybe it did? in which case "as you were" hot-under-collar :p

Regarding Wi-Fi issues... Picked my car up yesterday and couldn't get it to pick up my Wi-Fi (BT Home Hub 5)

Original settings were 2.4GHz on and set to channel 12 with 5GHz turned off (I had been doing some testing on another device)

I turned 5GHz on and it didn't make a difference

I changed 2.4GHz to channel 11 and it was instantly picked up by the car

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
There was another thread here, not sure if you saw it. Plugging car into 13 AMP tripped everything in the house. Solution was to turn off all (other) distribution panel boxes, car then charged OK, testing by individually turning things back on revealed (just using an example here) that a cooker Hob had to be disabled, and a washing machine had to be unplugged. Once car started charging they could be turned back on.

I saw that. Not looking forward to finding the culprit.

I had popped out to a destination charger last night with extension cable and UMC to see if it was car, UMC or extension cable, but in the dark and wet failed to find the 13A socket just the two Tesla wall connectors - in the dark, didn't spot the signs with one labeled Tesla only, other for EV so plugged into the 'wrong' one. Seemed to work for the few mins we tried. Not sure what difference between the two TWC's are - priority signage or anything more physical?

Not sure what difference between the two TWC's are - priority signage or anything more physical?

From memory:

Red sign for Tesla only, white sign for any car.
Tesla provided the chargers "free" under Workplace Charging Scheme. Landlord to provide installation and Juice. Landlord can restrict to e.g. Patrons, but cannot charge for juice.
Certain number have to be Tesla Only as part of the deal (hence some-and-some).
I am 99% sure that a Tesla can charge at either Tesla-only or non-Tesla (can't think why it wouldn't)
Non-Tesla, armed with screwdriver, can change the DIP switches inside to convert "Tesla-only" to "non Tesla". Be good and put it back after, ok? o_O

Not looking forward to finding the culprit.

When we first moved here, more than a dozen years ago, I had a period of meter reading and "reduce". Previous owner left us two massive American style Fridge-Freezer. Never owned another like that and thought they were wonderful ... when I started looking for juice-guzzling culprits I found they were burning £200 a year in juice ... each! Hoovered the air vents and then was pleasantly surprised that the compressor didn't actually have to run flat out 24/7 :)

We had one residual background consumption that took me months to find. It was a mains transformer for the front door bell, installed in the 60's and hidden away in a cupboard ... and generating a nice amount of heat 24/7.

Good luck :)

D2B4B50A-01DB-4419-A34D-CCC88CCF109A.jpeg
Had a quick look at the Netflix and YouTube apps this (very wet) morning.

688C6E95-488F-4269-BFB8-97D1115BD65B.jpeg

Reactions: davidmc and Roy W.
Dashcam & Sentry etc are AP2.5 and onwards, and not linked to the MCU. So if you have an AP2 car but paid for FSD you will get the new AP3/FSD chip, but nothing else. There was a heck of a lot more to AP2.5 than Tesla revealed at the time - redundancy was all they publicly said. Much of this is to do with resolution and colour - AP2 doesn't have any/much/enough - which does make for an interesting conversation about FSD - traffic lights for example???

Yep that was sort of my point, if Dashcam and Sentry are AP specific, then I'm expecting that those features may well be available once AP3 hardware is installed. I didn't expect MCU 1 to be a limitation on those features.

Clearly games, video, etc are all off limits to MCU 1 users and as such there is no upgrade path, despite Elon saying it's possible. There are many that suggest the amount of things that would need to change (like the central display and the 'behind the wheel display) having differnt CPU's etc would make than non trivial and potentially very expensive.

On the AP2 to AP3 upgrade, it will be interesting to see if cameras and wiring looms need replacing as they are different to the AP2.5 suite of sensors.

Anyway does show that continuing to support the long tail of older vehicles (even those less than 3 years old, never mind those from 2012) will become an increasing testing challenge for Tesla if they stick (hopefully) with the policy of updating all cars to their potential.

Yep that was sort of my point, if Dashcam and Sentry are AP specific, then I'm expecting that those features may well be available once AP3 hardware is installed. I didn't expect MCU 1 to be a limitation on those features.

Clearly games, video, etc are all off limits to MCU 1 users and as such there is no upgrade path, despite Elon saying it's possible. There are many that suggest the amount of things that would need to change (like the central display and the 'behind the wheel display) having differnt CPU's etc would make than non trivial and potentially very expensive.

On the AP2 to AP3 upgrade, it will be interesting to see if cameras and wiring looms need replacing as they are different to the AP2.5 suite of sensors.

Anyway does show that continuing to support the long tail of older vehicles (even those less than 3 years old, never mind those from 2012) will become an increasing testing challenge for Tesla if they stick (hopefully) with the policy of updating all cars to their potential.

My understanding (and I'm open to the suggestion I'm wrong) is that the upgrade AP2 owners will get for "free" (having bought FSD) is the AP3 processor, as this is what's lacking with AP2 cars - not the fact the camera's aren't good enough for Dashcam/Sentry.

I think you're on the money with the problems of supporting the older cars - Elon's hugely optimistic claims about the cars ability for FSD, which goes back to end 2016/early 2017 are going to come back to haunt him more than they already have (class action in US resulting in payments to owners who bought AP2 in expectation of FSD features).

My understanding (and I'm open to the suggestion I'm wrong) is that the upgrade AP2 owners will get for "free" (having bought FSD) is the AP3 processor, as this is what's lacking with AP2 cars - not the fact the camera's aren't good enough for Dashcam/Sentry.

I think you're on the money with the problems of supporting the older cars - Elon's hugely optimistic claims about the cars ability for FSD, which goes back to end 2016/early 2017 are going to come back to haunt him more than they already have (class action in US resulting in payments to owners who bought AP2 in expectation of FSD features).
I thought AP2 owners were getting the latest hardware upgrade FOC if they had ordered FSD?