Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK poll] If you own FSD and Tesla offered the option to downgrade

If you own FSD and Tesla offered the option to downgrade, would you?

• No, I'll stick with FSD

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Yes, to basic Autopilot

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Yes, to EAP (Enhanced Autopilot)

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Yes, to basic Autopilot then take out a subscription

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember watching Space 1999 as a kid back in the 70s. But space exploration never did quite match the expectations back then.

FSD on UK roads doesn’t exactly seem imminent to me either. Especially not alongside human drivers. In the 3 years I’ve experienced EAP/FSD, it has gone virtually nowhere.
Gerry Anderson - what a legend!

You will probably subscribe!

Quite possible, this may work out cheaper option for leased cars... I guess it depends how the FSD factors in the residual price at end of contract and the subscription cost...

All the same, when I got my current model 3 my choice for my desired price point was either a M3P or a M3LR+FSD, I got the LR+FSD and would do the same again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I remember watching Space 1999 as a kid back in the 70s. But space exploration never did quite match the expectations back then.

FSD on UK roads doesn’t exactly seem imminent to me either. Especially not alongside human drivers. In the 3 years I’ve experienced EAP/FSD, it has gone virtually nowhere.

Wow, I mean, sure... You can make that statement. If its not in the UK it doesent exist, right?

• Funny
Reactions: AnthonyLR
I upgraded from EAP on my 18 MS in June last year at a cost of £2,200. Still nothing to show for my money, despite the promises. Apart from the non delivery there are a couple of reasons why I am questioning the decision to buy. 1. The regulator. Regulators are the sort of people who think 15mph electric scooters are ‘too dangerous’ for us public to own and operate. Never mind that cyclists scream round at 20mph + with a stopping distance of 100ft plus and can and do kill pedestrians. So what hope for a liberal regime on self driving cars? and without a permissive regime, there’s no point to FSD above EAP.

2. Infrastructure. Driving on London streets, the grey steering wheel on my dash flickers on and off like a morse coders lamp because there are no road markings, or they are too worn or misleading to work with. Now I have seen the videos out of the US which show FSD doesn’t need road markings to work well. But what about all the right turns which are unmarked or post traffic lights where two lanes haphazardly merge into one? Then there’s the speed humps (many) the potholes (more) the kamikaze deliveroos...

I probably wouldn't downgrade because like most Tesla owners I have bought into the tech and am here for the ride. But honestly Elon, if in the next 12 months you can get my car to drive me from Marble Arch to my home in south London without me touching the steering wheel (cf regulators), I’ll eat my hat. And yours too probably.

Reactions: Peteski
When has Elon been "disastrously wrong" in the past?

March 2015:
"I don't think we have to worry about autonomous cars because it's a sort of a narrow form of AI. It's not something I think is very difficult. To do autonomous driving that is to a degree much safer than a person, is much easier than people think. I almost view it like a solved problem."

February 2019:
“I think we will be feature complete, full self-driving, this year. Meaning the car will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up and take you all the way to your destination without an intervention. This year. I would say I am of certain of that, that is not a question mark.”

That certainly fits my definition of disastrously wrong. And what about the one million robo taxis that were supposed to be on the road by the end of LAST year? Despite this there are those who treat the Musk with hero worship and hang on to his every word as if he’s the second Messiah.

But honestly Elon, if in the next 12 months you can get my car to drive me from Marble Arch to my home in south London without me touching the steering wheel (cf regulators), I’ll eat my hat. And yours too probably.

Yes, I'm with you on that one. It's going to take a while in the UK.

However, I just remembered all the amazing press about protein folding being solved by AI from November 2020:

DeepMind AI cracks 50-year-old problem of protein folding

The quote that stands out for me is:

Janet Thornton, a director emeritus of EMBL’s European Bioinformatics Institute near Cambridge, who was not involved in the work, said she was excited to hear the results. “This is a problem that I was beginning to think would not get solved in my lifetime,” she said.

Janet's obviously not a thicko and she didn't see the AI breakthrough coming.

DeepMind is owned by Google - Elon made the introduction and told Google to make the purchase. Elon gets around!

I am very disappointed. Every software update makes the drive worse... The new UI being more difficult to read and buttons more difficult to press. Phantom braking even makes cruise control unusable.

I did hope to keep my M3 for the long haul, but with the poor build quality I will be looking to move on before "old age" problems start to occur.

The market will be very different in a couple of years, so will make a decision then.

I think I would take a refund down to EAP. If (and it is a wish) they allowed to transfer FSD to future Teslas then I would keep FSD.

My Logic is :

People say that if they bought Rear Heated Seats upgrade on SR+ or Performance Boosts - then they dont carry these onto their future Teslas so why should we be able to do FSD.

My point is that they paid for these upgrades and are using and enjoying them straight away. Once I get to use FSD (and enjoy) then sure, I should not be able to carry it with me to my next Tesla. But until then......until I get to use it fully, I should be able to transfer FSD.

Discuss........