Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Premium Connectivity Progress - pre mid July 2019 orders

If you ordered before Mid July 2019, have you raised a Service request re your Connectivity ending?

• Yes

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • I ordered after Mid July/August 2019

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As usual we continue to get penalised in this country. Not only do we pay more but the SIM card is via a dutch provider which means a lot of UK based websites don’t work. I expect the Americans class as all as Europe!
All I can say is to keep pushing Tesla for the free connection. Do we know if anyone has taken legal action yet?

Surely it would be really easy for Tesla to accept an e-Sim configuration from your own choice of mobile network, allowing the customer to choose between self-billed SIM and then access to all premium features, or choose the Tesla option and pay £10 per month.

I’m not condoning the ridiculously petty behaviour of changing the factory spec and leaving customers with a sour taste - but it may help them demonstrate that actually £10 per month for unlimited data use and enhanced data features is actually not that steep - but of course they’ve not been that smart and shafted people.

Surely it would be really easy for Tesla to accept an e-Sim configuration from your own choice of mobile network, allowing the customer to choose between self-billed SIM and then access to all premium features, or choose the Tesla option and pay £10 per month.

I’m not condoning the ridiculously petty behaviour of changing the factory spec and leaving customers with a sour taste - but it may help them demonstrate that actually £10 per month for unlimited data use and enhanced data features is actually not that steep - but of course they’ve not been that smart and shafted people.
I think the thing is most people like myself have plenty of data on there existing plan, and for the most part only need a couple of GB for spotify and the occasional netflix, I believe tesla may also need to pay google for some of the map features, so that is taken into account as well. Personally I'm happy using my phone, just wish tesla would give the option to stop wifi turning off when going into drive.

I wonder what the logic is behind the decision to disable WiFi when in drive?

IIRC, Google got a lot of flak because their Streetview vehicles were also wardriving, and Google were storing all the captured WiFi details and locations. I'm pretty sure that this isn't illegal though, and anyway, as long as the car doesn't log or transmit back data on all the random WiFi connections it picks up when driving around I can't see that it's an issue.

Being able to connect to a phone hotspot whilst on the move would make a lot of sense as an option. Given that Google provide access to satellite and aerial photography imagery for free to everyone anyway, via Google Earth, it seems unlikely that Tesla have to pay a subscription to cover that overlay on the map, I'd have thought.

IIRC, Google got a lot of flak because their Streetview vehicles were also wardriving, and Google were storing all the captured WiFi details and locations. I'm pretty sure that this isn't illegal though, and anyway, as long as the car doesn't log or transmit back data on all the random WiFi connections it picks up when driving around I can't see that it's an issue.

Being able to connect to a phone hotspot whilst on the move would make a lot of sense as an option. Given that Google provide access to satellite and aerial photography imagery for free to everyone anyway, via Google Earth, it seems unlikely that Tesla have to pay a subscription to cover that overlay on the map, I'd have thought.

Probably didn't realise that they'd start charging for premium connectivity when they were writing the software for it! Hopefully a future software update fixes that as I doubt keeping WiFi on uses up much battery

just wish tesla would give the option to stop wifi turning off when going into drive.

Probably didn't realise that they'd start charging for premium connectivity when they were writing the software for it! Hopefully a future software update fixes that as I doubt keeping WiFi on uses up much battery

There was actual code already setup on the Teslas to allow the wifi to stay connected for tethered devices ie to a hotspot before driving.

Someone on the developer team redeveloped the code for the 3 to disable the wifi and so far its not been added again.

You can currently link it up to a hot spot on the 3 but you have to enable wifi once you put it into drive and it disconnects again when going in/out of park.

Here is more details on the subject
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1264381885653889025?s=20

Yes! When I look at car details on the web page I now see "Premium Connectivity Free Unlimited"

Free connectivity back again.png

This is great, and only fair tbh as it wasn't explained to me at time of ordering that it was limited. The webpage shows my subscription, I look forward to checking it works in the car later, using the wifi hotspot for spotify was certainly inconvenient. Well done everyone and my gratitude to Tesla for playing fair.

Reactions: MrBadger and Keeper