Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my MY LR on PCP in late Dec with 6k down for 890 p/m, final payment 18.7k. Today same car with same deposit and increased 1% APR is £850 p/m and 17.6k final payment. That’s an additional 3k for the 4 year deal, not small change for the sake of missing out by a couple of weeks. Slightly frustrating but then that’s sales of any product, you buy at a price you’re happy with at that time, if it goes up in the future great for you, if it goes down hard luck. I guess.

Reactions: Gumball
worth noting I got the free supercharger miles, but it’s rare we do long trips and charge at home mostly so not sure how much of those I’ll be using over the next 2 years, nearest supercharger is a bit of a drive away also so not much value in travelling to charge really

No doubt a factor in the price decrease (and previous increases) is the £ to $. In Sept as we all know it hit $1.08 and now it’s $1.22 - big difference for a US company
It has a huge impact for sure. With that said, when the MY was released at £55k, the rate was $1.375 and midpoint average rate for 2022 was higher than what it is today. So while these things are a factor, they are still taking an FX hit, albeit, not as bad as it might have been.

Lucky for Tesla, that big dip to $1.03 took place in October, just after the Q3 delivery wave and by Q4, it had went back up again so as long as they converted to $ at point of sale, they actually didn't get any exposure to the dip.

It might have cost them a few hundred million in revenue if the dip was at an end of Q when customers and lease companies were settling, as the Euro tanked around that time as well.

75k cars across Europe at 60 grand each and at just a 10% currency hit is worth nearly half a billion hit to profit. Talk about dodging a bullet!

Reactions: Simonsquiff
Did you order a tow bar? Without tow bar the new price is £56190.
1673645299292.png

Dem fees

Reactions: Kashp
Please do let me know what vehicle manufacture has slashed nearly 10k off RRP? Or have you ever seen Apple and smiler tech companies slash hundreds of retail prices on their prices on current models of goods?
So a good while back I was looking for a new car and it was between a Tesla Model S P100D and a BMW M760Li. This was before Tesla dropped the price massively so think the Tesla was around £130 - 140k off the top of my head.

I went with the BMW as it was far more comfortable, luxurious and beyond the initial pull of the P100D it also felt faster once moving. That was a £145k car in the end and I got a £40k discount from BMW and 0% APR.

So as someone else said, other car makes do this often also but it's as manafacturer and dealer discounts vs changing the base price of the car.

i ordered in the summer MYLR and am due deliver in about a month, via Octopus lease.

i emailed them today to ask for my new lease price given the discounts, they said they would inform all orders early next week.

what are the odds they pass on the discount, but their interest rates have gone up or some rubbish.

In my own personal case, I bought my Tesla through my small Limited Company.

I had a choice with the £60,000 ...

I either paid £ 11,400 to the Government in Corporation Tax, and banked the remaining £ 48,600

... or just pay it to myself at 40% income tax rate...

... or buy a Tesla Model 3 Performance car with it... with 100% drawdown to avoid paying any tax. (I would've lost the £ 11,400 anyways)

Then, once it's in my sweaty hands... I only paid 1% benefit in kind tax (at the time) £600 per year.

HELLO...

So, now my plan is to buy it off the Company as an asset sale. As low market value as the HMRC will tolerate.

I'll most likely wait, be patient, until BIK Rates increase dramatically...

What did Elon Musk say?... these Tesla Model 3 Batteries and Motors are good for 1,000,000 miles...
I did the first part of that. I haven't looked too much into the calculations of the second part, but if you buy off your company are you not paying the corp tax profit on the sale plus income tax on the money you use to buy it? Would it not just be better off keeping it as a company car?

I did the first part of that. I haven't looked too much into the calculations of the second part, but if you buy off your company are you not paying the corp tax profit on the sale plus income tax on the money you use to buy it? Would it not just be better off keeping it as a company car?

Yes, correct.

But if BIK rises too much... there will be a tipping point to whether its still worth it.

That's what I'll be watching.

Up until then, it'll stay as a Company Car

Reactions: Arran
Any advice for a new buyer?

I bought a new Model 3 on 29th Dec under the last incentives (£2.5k discount and 6k miles free supercharging). I notified Tesla within 2 days that there were multiple defects to the car (cameras stopped working, navigation not working and charging was not functional with a UK 3 pin), turned out these were not fixable remotely by Tesla. They've given me tentative service dates, but short of confirmation as they don't have the parts and do not when they will arrive at the service centre (which the closest is 60miles away . . no compensation for this either). Now with the price cuts further to what I paid, it feels like a real kick in the teeth. What are the options I have here?

I bought a new Model 3 on 29th Dec under the last incentives (£2.5k discount and 6k miles free supercharging). I notified Tesla within 2 days that there were multiple defects to the car (cameras stopped working, navigation not working and charging was not functional with a UK 3 pin), turned out these were not fixable remotely by Tesla. They've given me tentative service dates, but short of confirmation as they don't have the parts and do not when they will arrive at the service centre (which the closest is 60miles away . . no compensation for this either). Now with the price cuts further to what I paid, it feels like a real kick in the teeth. What are the options I have here?
Check sale of goods act; 30 day window for a full refund on defective goods. Email Tesla your intention and then drop the car back. Order another one if you can face dealing with them again!

• Informative
Reactions: Ricecooker

If i were you i would probably return this car and request a full refund. You need to contact Tesla and put this is in writing within 30 days. They will try and stall you. If you miss the 30 day window it will become far more difficult to return the car. You should also stop driving it if possible and also leave it in the hands of your local service centre - speak to the manager to let him know your plan

Reactions: MashinBenzin