Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Renting a Model 3 with Hertz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Wondered if anyone had any experience of renting a model 3 with Hertz in the UK they could share?

I've got a meeting in Derby in a few weeks time. Will fly into Birmingham airport, collect the car from Hertz then drive up and down same day.

For the SoC upon return it states:

When you collect the EV we will measure the battery level. We will measure it again when you return. We ask you to return the EV with the same level of battery or 75% (whichever is lower). If you return the EV with a lower level of battery then we will recharge it for you and will charge you a Recharging Fee. If the battery is 20% or less when you return the a recharging Admin Fee will also apply.

So given that it's a RWD (I assume based on Hertz's suggestion the car can travel 210 miles on a full charge), I'll need to stop en route. If I use Superchargers then the charging costs are billed back to the credit card used to book the car. Alternatively I can use Shell Recharge (which they provide a fob for) that will also be billed back to the credit card. Lastly, I can use any other charger and just pay directly to the charge point company.

I'm familiar with zapmap and ABRP but if anyone has any local knowledge of where would be best to charge on the return journey so that I can get back to the airport with >75% with a minimal detour, that would be very helpful. Would be early on a Friday evening, most likely taking the M42. Looks like there's no superchargers en-route unless I go into central Birmingham or past the airport towards Alvechurch on the return leg.

I assume I can login to the car with my online profile? And just need to remember to logout again afterwards? Unless that functionality is blocked? Are there any elements of the Hertz cars that are restricted, other than app access?

Thanks!

Wondered if anyone had any experience of renting a model 3 with Hertz in the UK they could share?

I've got a meeting in Derby in a few weeks time. Will fly into Birmingham airport, collect the car from Hertz then drive up and down same day.

For the SoC upon return it states:

So given that it's a RWD (I assume based on Hertz's suggestion the car can travel 210 miles on a full charge), I'll need to stop en route. If I use Superchargers then the charging costs are billed back to the credit card used to book the car. Alternatively I can use Shell Recharge (which they provide a fob for) that will also be billed back to the credit card. Lastly, I can use any other charger and just pay directly to the charge point company.

I'm familiar with zapmap and ABRP but if anyone has any local knowledge of where would be best to charge on the return journey so that I can get back to the airport with >75% with a minimal detour, that would be very helpful. Would be early on a Friday evening, most likely taking the M42. Looks like there's no superchargers en-route unless I go into central Birmingham or past the airport towards Alvechurch on the return leg.

I assume I can login to the car with my online profile? And just need to remember to logout again afterwards? Unless that functionality is blocked? Are there any elements of the Hertz cars that are restricted, other than app access?

Thanks!

You have 2 best options on M42 (until Superchargers are open at the Tamworth by q4 2023:)

• there is Instavolt 120 kw on your way back from Derby at Appleby services on M42 (at McDonalds)
InstaVolt Charging Station · McDonald's, Atherstone Rd, Appleby Magna, Swadlincote DE12 7AP, United Kingdom (at instavolt price of 75p/kwh)

ChargePoint Charging Station · A511, Ashby-de-la-Zouch LE65 1JP, United Kingdom - 65p per kwh

it is precisely 30 minutes/27 miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch or 20 miles/24 minutes from Appleby services to B'ham airport.

Last edited:
Not Hertz, but finding a case of don’t expect a particular car or even don’t expect a car at all until you have it in your possession. Seems some car hire companies are struggling to deliver what people order - many a missed/different hire car since Covid. Excuse is that even hire companies are struggling to get new cars to replace their outgoing fleet. Probably less likely with Tesla though with their short wait times.

Charge to full at the Derby SuC and ABRP says you'll get back to the airport with 78%

Thanks, 3% could be a little tight if we decide to detour for dinner on the return leg, then there's also the time spent waiting to reach 100% at the SuC.

Have you tried Europcar? Their policy is that you can return EVs without having to recharge it, that is built into the hire cost...

They didn't appear on the comparison site I was using however I didn't spend a long time searching, will keep that in mind for future as that would have been a preferable fuelling policy.

You have 2 best options on M42 (until Superchargers are open at the Tamworth by q4 2023:)

• there is Instavolt 120 kw on your way back from Derby at Appleby services on M42 (at McDonalds)
InstaVolt Charging Station · McDonald's, Atherstone Rd, Appleby Magna, Swadlincote DE12 7AP, United Kingdom (at instavolt price of 75p/kwh)

ChargePoint Charging Station · A511, Ashby-de-la-Zouch LE65 1JP, United Kingdom - 65p per kwh

it is precisely 30 minutes/27 miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch or 20 miles/24 minutes from Appleby services to B'ham airport.

Either of these locations are ideal, I'm hoping the google reviews aren't reflective of the current status. Have you used either of these sites, are they commonly available and working?

Thanks, 3% could be a little tight if we decide to detour for dinner on the return leg, then there's also the time spent waiting to reach 100% at the SuC.

They didn't appear on the comparison site I was using however I didn't spend a long time searching, will keep that in mind for future as that would have been a preferable fuelling policy.

Either of these locations are ideal, I'm hoping the google reviews aren't reflective of the current status. Have you used either of these sites, are they commonly available and working?
ChargePoint in Ashby-de-la-Zouch is definitelly working. Passed there few times last week (was very exciting once found those there :D) - but I haven't tried to use them. Just saw that they are fully operational
It is owned by EuroCarParks or whatever - the company which runs services and located at the front/side of Esso petrol station. I predict these will be well maintained. See my pics as per post. It is very new as well.

There is an alternative one in Ashby (in case) - at Tesco car park (75 kw Pod Point). Tesco is just around the corner from the services and very well visible while approaching. This one is also operational (see it working) but never actually used it. It is new installation as well.

Instavolt should be fully operational as well - Instavolt is generally good with availability (pricy though, as Ionity). comments on google are quite old tho

Last edited:
Not Hertz, but finding a case of don’t expect a particular car or even don’t expect a car at all until you have it in your possession. Seems some car hire companies are struggling to deliver what people order - many a missed/different hire car since Covid. Excuse is that even hire companies are struggling to get new cars to replace their outgoing fleet. Probably less likely with Tesla though with their short wait times.
Seems you were right :)

1680042573016.png

• Love
Reactions: Billbrown1982