Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK RHD Build Schedules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MrT3

Jun 26, 2021
UK
Moderator comment - thread started in 2021 Shipping Movements

I ordered early June, so hopefully will see some movement next week with the first ship leaving Shanghai?
They will need to start building them first - that starts in July (first month of the quarter for UK vehicles) so will be at least a couple of weeks before they have enough to start shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will need to start building them first - that starts in July (first month of the quarter for UK vehicles) so will be at least a couple of weeks before they have enough to start shipping.
Is there a benefit to not just building them around the clock and then filling up a transporter at their convenience? Can't imagine there are that many tooling changes between production runs.

Is there a benefit to not just building them around the clock and then filling up a transporter at their convenience? Can't imagine there are that many tooling changes between production runs.
The factory runs at capacity. Tesla try to build and complete the sale (hand over to the customer) within the same quarter, so they build the ones furthest away at the beginning of the quarter to allow for 4 weeks of shipping, then switch production to the nearer countries and then finally to the factory's local country at the end of the quarter. Therefore in these last few weeks the China factory has been producing vehicles for China and will now switch back to UK vehicles so the allotted quantity of vehicles for the quarter will all arrive and be handed over by the end of September.

I had quite a peculiar text (and call) yesterday from Tesla. I enquired about a trade-in price for my 2020 M3P, just to get a sense of the valuation as time goes on.

About an hour after I received it I got a call to let me know that there were inventory models in stock, but if I wanted one I'd have to pay in cash, and pay by tomorrow (today) otherwise I'd "probably have to wait until August". After the call I got an SMS saying the same thing.

I know the end of quarter push is real, but surely Tesla still sell cars in the other two months of a quarter? If the inventory cars are still there in July, I could presumably still buy one without them treating me like a second class citizen? :)

I had quite a peculiar text (and call) yesterday from Tesla. I enquired about a trade-in price for my 2020 M3P, just to get a sense of the valuation as time goes on.

About an hour after I received it I got a call to let me know that there were inventory models in stock, but if I wanted one I'd have to pay in cash, and pay by tomorrow (today) otherwise I'd "probably have to wait until August". After the call I got an SMS saying the same thing.

I know the end of quarter push is real, but surely Tesla still sell cars in the other two months of a quarter? If the inventory cars are still there in July, I could presumably still buy one without them treating me like a second class citizen? :)
Don't they sell out quickly? Hence there may not be any left by the time July comes along.

They do, yes, but the attitude of the phone call was basically that I could only get a car if I could pay in cash and "by tomorrow", otherwise it would be August when I could expect one.
Seems that Tesla do have some regular sales people working for them after all - creating a false sense of urgency to try and get the sale by the end of the quarter.

I'm getting the impression that there isn't the end-of-quarter frenzy that we have become accustomed to in the UK this quarter.
I suspect that this is because the cars were delivered to the UK earlier and we have more delivery centres than ever before.
This should mean that the cars will have had more time to be better prepared for delivery (!)
I also suspect that the Tesla registration figures for June will be an all-time record high.