Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK SR+ battery range / LR discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just placed an order for a SR+ RHD Model 3. Annoyingly in the UK they've stopped offering mid/LR, and instead you have to decide between SR+ and Performance.

I don't really do many long drives, and i've used 'ABetterRoutePlanner' (.com) to go through all my common trips... and yes, with rain/degradation/extra weight I can do all my drives. But some of them get me there with 55%, so really it's tight going there and back.

What worries me about Tesla is that they'll announce the LRD again in the UK, as I'd pay for the extra battery, but I'm not bothered about performance (and my insurance sky rockets).

So my question is this:
  • Any SR+ drivers out there with any realistic regret about not buying a bigger battery? Or does it mostly not matter?
  • Any gossip that they'll announce LR again that I should hold out ordering for?
I don't want to spend £40,000 on a SR+, and regret not buying a LR battery... but then again they don't have a LR battery without a £10,000 upgrade, which increases my insurance by £1000 p/a.

Would really appreciate some advice / thoughts. I haven't used a referral code for my purchase yet, but they'll let me add it later. So I guess i'll just use the person's code who helps me the most? That seems fairer than just picking someone online randomly.

I have an SR+ and don’t regret saving the money from an LR or LR AWD I was pondering. That money can pay for FSD (now or later) and the extra range only saves a few minutes a year on road trips for me, if that. How much is saving a few minutes worth? If it’s going to cost 10k plus tax plus ongoing increased costs, I don’t think it’s worth it unless you /need/ the range or want the other added features.

I somewhat regret not waiting and getting the SR which eventually became available and was essentially the same car :)

If buying the SR+ means that once in a while you will have to add an extra 15 munutes of Supercharging to complete your journey, I wouldn't bother with the bigger battery and big cost increase.
When your battery is at a low soc, 15 minutes of charging at 120kw will do wonder like adding 100-150 km of range.

If buying the SR+ means that once in a while you will have to add an extra 15 munutes of Supercharging to complete your journey, I wouldn't bother with the bigger battery and big cost increase.
When your battery is at a low soc, 15 minutes of charging at 120kw will do wonder like adding 100-150 km of range.

The SR+ currently charges at 100kW max, although it’s speculated that will increase once the V3 profiles get pushed to all the cars and not just the LR cars.

The SR+ currently charges at 100kW max, although it’s speculated that will increase once the V3 profiles get pushed to all the cars and not just the LR cars.

I stand corrected. However 100kw will get you enough to complete the second half of your trip, specially if you supercharge with a low soc on your way back.
That is the rational thinking, but buying a Tesla is not rational thinking ! :)