Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Supercharger Prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is available elsewhere. How much is the 'average' UK supercharger per kWh?

I've got a 2017 Model X with free supercharging, and I need to swap it for something else soon. Because my car has free supercharging, it doesn't show me the prices when I tap on a supercharger pin on the map, and only shows me idling fees. I had a look on the website, and it was like "go look at a pin on the car"

I don’t get it. Says the electricity was capped at 28p/kWh but im paying 35 at “expensive o’clock” on Octopus Go?

What's your estimated electricity bill this winter? Gas prices mean our heating bill this winter will be £500/month for November, £750/month for Dec and Jan, and £500/month for Feb, so roughly £2.5-3k for gas if you don't reduce usage (which we will).

We are likely to go for a completely rebuild on our house renovation plans now though, so will have the chance to put in decent insulation for a heat pump.

Upvote 0
So here’s a reality check: I drove our Fiat 500e over a longer distance yesterday (the Tesla Y was being used by the wife), so charged at a decent 14 charger station in Banbury.

Cost per kWh 65p
KWh from Fiat on the journey (mostly motorway) 3.5

So assuming a cost increase of 80% from October in line with the new UK energy cap, the new kWh will be £1.17. Therefore the new cost per mile will be 33p.

As a way of comparison…Cost of diesel £1.80 give or take, 4.54 litres in a gallon, so £8.17.

£8.17 / 33p per mile means that a Fiat 500 charged out of home will cost the same as a car that does less than 25mpg! Only you have the added benefit of range anxiety and waiting to charge, and the premium you pay to get into an EV.

That will only get even worse when it goes up again in the new year, and the lower winter range/efficiency kicks in!

Obviously the answer is to charge at home, but that is often not possible and that too will get more expensive.

Conclusion: Aside from those who buy purely on environmental grounds, EVs are no longer the cheaper alternative, so are we about to see a fall in the demand, and thus value of EV’s and a move back to economical diesels?

Reactions: plisken
Upvote 0
So here’s a reality check: I drove our Fiat 500e over a longer distance yesterday (the Tesla Y was being used by the wife), so charged at a decent 14 charger station in Banbury.

Cost per kWh 65p
KWh from Fiat on the journey (mostly motorway) 3.5

So assuming a cost increase of 80% from October in line with the new UK energy cap, the new kWh will be £1.17. Therefore the new cost per mile will be 33p.

As a way of comparison…Cost of diesel £1.80 give or take, 4.54 litres in a gallon, so £8.17.

£8.17 / 33p per mile means that a Fiat 500 charged out of home will cost the same as a car that does less than 25mpg! Only you have the added benefit of range anxiety and waiting to charge, and the premium you pay to get into an EV.

That will only get even worse when it goes up again in the new year, and the lower winter range/efficiency kicks in!

Obviously the answer is to charge at home, but that is often not possible and that too will get more expensive.

Conclusion: Aside from those who buy purely on environmental grounds, EVs are no longer the cheaper alternative, so are we about to see a fall in the demand, and thus value of EV’s and a move back to economical diesels?
Even at the new 52p price cap for home charging you will be paying the same as an efficient diesel even when charging at home. You will still be better off on Octopus Go off peak but who knows what that will change to now.

Upvote 0
What's your estimated electricity bill this winter? Gas prices mean our heating bill this winter will be £500/month for November, £750/month for Dec and Jan, and £500/month for Feb, so roughly £2.5-3k for gas if you don't reduce usage (which we will).

We are likely to go for a completely rebuild on our house renovation plans now though, so will have the chance to put in decent insulation for a heat pump.
I have solar and 2 Powerwalls (2 more on order) and mostly heating the house with ASHP so I’m pretty shielded this winter…

Reactions: gangzoom
Upvote 0
I have solar and 2 Powerwalls (2 more on order) and mostly heating the house with ASHP so I’m pretty shielded this winter…

I persume you are charging the PWs off peak with 3 phase in winter a solar is next to unless in Dec/Jan when temperatures are really cold?

Without PWs and off peak, 50p+/kWh makes heat pumps also pretty costly to run.

I think if we go down the heatpump route another 2PWs in addtional to the current one is essential. Luckily we already have a 3 phase supply, so even with a 3hr off peak window can smash in plenty of cheap electricity to cover the day.

Upvote 0
I persume you are charging the PWs off peak with 3 phase in winter a solar is next to unless in Dec/Jan when temperatures are really cold?

Without PWs and off peak, 50p+/kWh makes heat pumps also pretty costly to run.

I think if we go down the heatpump route another 2PWs in addtional to the current one is essential. Luckily we already have a 3 phase supply, so even with a 3hr off peak window can smash in plenty of cheap electricity to cover the day.
100A single phase, unfortunately, as WPD quoted me £10k to run the 3ph cable 5 metres into my property 🙄
Also, I’m not quite enamoured with how the Powerwalls play with a 3 phase setup, so would only consider the costly upgrade if and when the Tesla Gateway properly backs up all three phases.

Upvote 0
And here we go in print.....remeber the days of 'free' electricity by Octopus, and even standard E7 rates was something stupid like 4p/kWh.

If Tesla DON'T increase SC rates to more than 52p/kWh across the board anyone on the standard variable rate electricity plan is better off hogging a local SC for fuel versus charging at home.

More raise to come still though, 70p/kWh by next year I see is mentioned, will SC hit £1/kWh?? I suspect it might, at which point EV will be more expensive to refuel than combustion cars on long trips :(.

52312050640_1b0fb31a05_c_d.jpg
Where's that screen grab from? I couldn't even find the new price per kWh on SVR.

Upvote 0
Good news for you. I think though that the reality is that 95% of people won’t be so fortunate, hence why I think there is going to be a bit of a reckoning in the EV market.

The problem with some properties not being possible to have a smart meter brings this into sharp focus. My brother in law is in that situation and is looking at charging at home at 52p/kWh. So people without a smart meter and people who would have to depend on public charging are highly unlikely to choose an EV.

Upvote 0