Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Supercharger pronunciation guide?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now the Wyboston, UK Supercharger is officially open, can I ask how it's pronounced? I'm not local and don't have any references to compare it with but as a native Brit I am wary enough to know that it could be anything from "Why-BOS-ton" to "WIB-stun" via "WIB-uzzun"...

Most of the UK site names are straight forward but while I'm here, can I check a couple more?:
Michaelwood - "MIKKLE-wood" (a bit like Michaelmas)?
Amesbury - "AHHms-burrie" (rather than AIMs-burrie)?

The other possible gotcha's that will be familiar to Brits but might catch out visitors:
Edinburgh, North Greenwich, Warwick

Any others?

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1
Now the Wyboston, UK Supercharger is officially open, can I ask how it's pronounced? I'm not local and don't have any references to compare it with but as a native Brit I am wary enough to know that it could be anything from "Why-BOS-ton" to "WIB-stun" via "WIB-uzzun"...

Most of the UK site names are straight forward but while I'm here, can I check a couple more?:
Michaelwood - "MIKKLE-wood" (a bit like Michaelmas)?
Amesbury - "AHHms-burrie" (rather than AIMs-burrie)?

The other possible gotcha's that will be familiar to Brits but might catch out visitors:
Edinburgh, North Greenwich, Warwick

Any others?
Michaelwood is indeed pronounced MIKKLE-wood.

Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
Excellent thread.
May I hijack this thread for 30 seconds?

There are so many street names in the UK that are impossible to explain ...
My all time favourite is / was (growing up in London / France) "Beauchamp Place" near Knightsbridge, London.

In French Beauchamp is "BOW shom " in English "beee champ" (like the pharma company Beacham").

But I laugh when I hear Americans try to pronounce any county in Britain that ends with "shire".
They insist on "overpronouncing" the I to the word ending. Berkshire becomes "BerkshIre". Should be "BARK sher."

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1
Glan is easy enough, but you need to get your tongue around Gaeilge to properly pronounce gluaisne, at least for the dialect around Longford where my lot are from (like English, Gaeilge has marked regional pronunciation differences).

Yes, name has been anglicised and I prefer the orginal Gallic pronunciation.

Me - syur Mizz- err - rablay

Gordano.
Sounds like it should be Italian (gor-DAH-no) but could be GOR-dano? Gor-day-no?
Maybe Brian can help?

931E9A4D-50FA-485F-AF9C-E1E2C8F9CA3A.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
Anyone from Wales care to chip in?
As per @Jeeves 's link, Builth Wells is straight-forward, Aberystwyth is easier when you know that y is a vowel pronounced, in this case, like "i" in "bill". I'm an English-speaking South-Walean exile living in Scotland so probably not the most reliable source!. To my ear, my Welsh family tend not to stress the first syllable so it would be something like Abeh-WRIST-withh (withh spelt like that to rhyme with kith or myth).

Its Why-Bos-Ton. Its about 5 mins down the road from me. I didnt know this existed until i saw this thread.
Brilliant, thanks for the ultra-local advice!
Yes this is a brand-new Supercharger that opened this week, currently with 6 V3 bays plus another 4 under covers awaiting final commissioning. Congratulations @Palros , you now have that precious thing that many dream of while many others dissuade you from using unless you're on a long journey :) . If you have a S or X without the CCS adapter (& retrofit if necessary) it won't show up in the car nav though.